type 1 moaning

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all. Joined the forum last wk.. Have written a blog about myself,but still finding my way round the site.I am type 1 35 years.split levemir and humalog Have read the diabetic rants and loads of things that struck a chord and definitely relate to. My last Hba was 8.4 but for years was in double figures. Only really had a semblance of control for the last 5 years after having to stop work because of eye complication laser cataract glaucoma and injections. What I would like to ask the group is , if like me control has been a constant battle.e.g. can start with the same blood level i.e..6.5 eat the same amount of carbs inject the same amount of insulin and end up 2 hrs later either hypo 2 or 15 . Der advice tweeting basal down ,bolus up and vice versa. Been trying this for 35 years, and still not cracked it. Could write a book on hypo experiences. Some comical, some horrific. Thankfully I have a fantastic wife,whose lived it with me and continues to do so. Can live with the 5 jabs plus the correction doses ,the blood testing every 2 hrs. It's just the uncertainty that every day brings that I have trouble coping with. Sorry if it sounds like another type 1 rant.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Have you spoken to your hospital team about trying a pump?
Are you bolus ratios the same for every meal?
Do you get fluctuations say if you have a lie in or at weekends.
I didn't look in detail at all of this until I went on a pump after decades... Got the best control ever now.
My body or more to the point insulin on mdi could not cope with my huge DP... Now I can fine tune exactly.. And so precisely its unbelievable..

Reactions: 2 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all. Joined the forum last wk.. Have written a blog about myself,but still finding my way round the site.I am type 1 35 years.split levemir and humalog Have read the diabetic rants and loads of things that struck a chord and definitely relate to. My last Hba was 8.4 but for years was in double figures. Only really had a semblance of control for the last 5 years after having to stop work because of eye complication laser cataract glaucoma and injections. What I would like to ask the group is , if like me control has been a constant battle.e.g. can start with the same blood level i.e..6.5 eat the same amount of carbs inject the same amount of insulin and end up 2 hrs later either hypo 2 or 15 . Der advice tweeting basal down ,bolus up and vice versa. Been trying this for 35 years, and still not cracked it. Could write a book on hypo experiences. Some comical, some horrific. Thankfully I have a fantastic wife,whose lived it with me and continues to do so. Can live with the 5 jabs plus the correction doses ,the blood testing every 2 hrs. It's just the uncertainty that every day brings that I have trouble coping with. Sorry if it sounds like another type 1 rant.

I know how you feel regarding the unpredictability. Your experience with diabetes sounds similar to mine in that I spent many years living on a roller coaster, and it's only since I stopped work and have had time to take better care of myself (including acting on the advice of wonderful forum folk) that my control has at last improved. One incredible strategy I have learned from the forum is how to follow a low carb diet. This has helped me develop a stronger attitude to food and how it affects me. Another is using MySugr app as well as my paper record of blood sugar results, I now have time to study them and use them to change and improve things, whereas before, when I had no time, I just metaphorically threw up my hands in horror, shouted abuse at my lack of control and felt very hard done by. Another has been using Foodfocus which helps me track exercise, food, bmi, set goals, though it isn't diabetes-related. Like you, I could write a book about hypo experiences, actually it would make quite a film and would be nominated for an Oscar by people who haven't experienced the joys of our disease. I'm full of admiration for people with diabetes who cope AND hold down a busy, stressful job ... and wish I could have managed better. I could not have done the amount of testing and oversight that I do now when I was working. You've hit the nail on the head by mentioning the unpredictability, and I think it's an aspect of diabetes that is woefully underestimated by clinicians.

Reactions: 4 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
PS: I don't think T1's (or T2's et al either for that matter) rant enough. Many of us condition our own selves to make the best of things and we are a little wary of making a fuss. Another good reason for the existence of this excellent forum.

Reactions: 5 people

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you spoken to your hospital team about trying a pump?
Are you bolus ratios the same for every meal?
Do you get fluctuations say if you have a lie in or at weekends.
I didn't look in detail at all of this until I went on a pump after decades... Got the best control ever now.
My body or more to the point insulin on mdi could not cope with my huge DP... Now I can fine tune exactly.. And so precisely its unbelievable..

I was offered a pump about 4 years ago,but turned it down because of my eye problems at that time .went on carb counting course because of my poor control. I think the meds thought I didn't know what I was doing. I actually am fairly accurate with my carb counting. I'm fine overnight basal is ok normally wake with bg between 4 to 8. Bolus is the problem .Am is 1.5 per l0 gram carb lunch 2 to 10gram. Have tried varying rates but there is no set pattern to my lows or highs eat about 180 carbs per day, not overweight, although I do have old age paunch,despite walking the dog a few miles every day. A quick example of my control.woke one day last wks blood 3.6 thought that's a bit low, was going back to bed with a coffee for half an hour so had one biscuit 9 gsm tested again 40 minutes later 13.6. Washed hands tried second meter cus I couldn't believe it, same result. Did the same again this wk3.8 biscuit back to bed half an hour later down.to 3.2 the total opposite. Who knows?.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hmmmm thats really difficult.. In scenarios like that.. Was there any difference in
A)injection site?
B) different activity the night before?
C) waking initially earlier or later?

It is so **** hard having to think of every different scenario... As well as life in general!

Some pumps nowadays are hugely better than 4 years ago with coloured screens and larger fonts..