boboblck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw. It’s a big shock. I was newly diagnosed half way through feb this year. I’m nearly 30! My blood results were exactly like yours. It went really high towards bedtime too.

Just when I felt I had it all worked out and had my numbers under some sort of control it changed. A few weeks ago I started getting hypos, waking me up in the middle of the night and I had to eat. I had to stop taking it altogether for a few weeks. This is the honeymoon period were your pancreas starts creating insulin temp, so look out for that. I’d be prepared stop taking it for a while and go see your nurse ASAP when this starts happening.

Now I’m taking around 2-3 units for each meal and reduced my lantus to 6. It’s all very overwhelming still as it’s always changing. I’m hoping it calms down after a while so I can start running again or something to help me feel normal again. It is tiring having to constantly think about diabetes, but we will get used to it! Good luck!

Reactions: RichardSp8

RichardSp8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw. It’s a big shock. I was newly diagnosed half way through feb this year. I’m nearly 30! My blood results were exactly like yours. It went really high towards bedtime too.

Just when I felt I had it all worked out and had my numbers under some sort of control it changed. A few weeks ago I started getting hypos, waking me up in the middle of the night and I had to eat. I had to stop taking it altogether for a few weeks. This is the honeymoon period were your pancreas starts creating insulin temp, so look out for that. I’d be prepared stop taking it for a while and go see your nurse ASAP when this starts happening.

Now I’m taking around 2-3 units for each meal and reduced my lantus to 6. It’s all very overwhelming still as it’s always changing. I’m hoping it calms down after a while so I can start running again or something to help me feel normal again. It is tiring having to constantly think about diabetes, but we will get used to it! Good luck!

We sound very similar apart from the timing of it all.
I’ve jumped head first into reading and researching everything I can I want to know as much as I can about what’s happening to me.
I know it’s going to be a rollercoaster of a ride and no amount of reading can prepare us for how we are going to feel day to day.
I had my first hypo this evening and that was a shocker but I ate something and it soon calmed down.
I think it had miscounted my carbohydrates and took too much insulin.
Good luck to you. I’m sure as all these amazing people on here we will get a grip of this as best we can!

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @RichardSp8 . Welcome to the forum.
Congratulations on joining an esteemed club.
Everyone has given great advice and as you are maybe beginning to realise there are numerous ways to incorporate diabetes into your life. Most importantly you do have to incorporate it. You can fight it, make it your enemy. You can embrace it, make it your best friend. I prefer the latter.
Definitely do not worry at this early stage, get used to the basics. This is for life, cast your mind back to childhood, diabetes is no different, it will grow, it will develop, it will evolve, it will play up and you'll have fun going through all this together.
Diabetes is a lot about averages and trends. One high reading isn't going to kill you.
You will see a lot of posts here from different types of diabetics you have to remember that you are T1 and that is specific to you.
There are no rules. Everyone manages their diabetes their way. You , through trial and error will find what suits you best.
A few things I tell people ( listening is optional :)).
1. Diabetes control is 80% mental/ emotional, 15% medication and 5% just winging it.
2. Diabetes wants to destroy you and it will try every trick in the book. It thrives in dark, stressful, argumentative places. Don't let it. Open up and let the light in, tell people you're diabetic, be proud. Don't get overly stressed, learn to shrug your shoulders, smile and move on. Don't fight it , embrace it, make it the reason you live and succeed..
Good luck and keep posting.
Hello therower, as a parent of our recently diagnosed 10 year old son, this is a great, inspiring post. Thank you. The part that keeps me up at night is that I wish it was me who had T1D... but post like yours and all of the great info on this site are a huge help.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thanks for the tag, @Jaylee .

@RichardSp8 , you've asked about it being erratic. It comes with the territory but as time goes by you'll learn skills to make it less so.

The main problem is that, although there's some basic rules, for example 1 u for each 10 g (that can vary a lot too, often within the same person at different times of day), as soon as you inject and eat food, they are subject to a whole lot of bodily processes which can throw the calculations out.

In a non-T1, most insulin goes straight to the liver to tell it to suck up excess glucose. Our injected insulin tends to get nowhere near the liver, and some of it will be destroyed by insulin antagonists before it does anything. There's some work being done on adding, " hepatic directed vesicles" to insulin, which taxis insulin straight to the liver so that it more closely emulates normal insulin function, so that might be a new toy to play with in the next few years.

So, it's always going to have a degree of uncertainty to it.

One useful way of dealing with it is to understand how insulin operates over time. It has a pattern, not sure what humalog looks like, there's no doubt a graph on the internet, but my novorapid, for example, takes about 20 mins to get to work, peaks after about an hour or hour and a half, and works at a declining rate for about 3 to 5 hours.

Knowing that, it means that I can take a shot about 20 mins before a meal, so that it'll already be working when the food hits it, instead of playing catch it, and then I'll know about the hour mark whether I've got it right or under or over bolused. I'll also know that if I'm going to be doing some exercise later on within the 3 to 5 hour window, I'll still have some active insulin on board, and that might lower me a lot if I'm exercising because things called glut4 transporters in each of my cells will be stimulated by exercise and lower bg.

Once those basic mechanisms are understood, it lets you then think about tweaking doses and timing. For example, if I'm having a Thai green curry, white rice, with me, at least, gets absorbed fairly quickly, so I'll pre-bolus about 20 mins, but if it's brown rice, it's absorbed more slowly, so 20 mins would make me hypo, so 10 mins would do. Or, if I know I'm going to be sitting in the office after lunch, it'll be x units, whereas if I'm on holiday and know I'm going to be spending a few hours walking around sightseeing, I'll know that'll bring glut4 into play, so I'll likely shave quite a few units off to avoid the insulin and glut4 doubling up. Or I might leave it at the same amount as I often holiday in Krakow and there's always a quality ice cream parlour at hand! I might also shave off or add a few units if my levels are on a downward or upwards trend at the time of the shot

I suppose the point I'm trying to make is that just looking at the number of carbs when carb counting is too simplistic. We have to consider the surrounding circumstances too, in terms of type of food, what's happened in the last few hours, and what might happen in the next few hours.

One of the big things happening in the UK at the moment is freestyle libre starting to become available on the nhs. It's still very much a postcode lottery at the moment. Some areas are very liberal with it, but most are not - google your area's health authority and there will likely be a policy statement on it. Strips just give you a snapshot in time, which is of limited use when you're dealing with a constantly moving target. But then you've got cgm - continuous glucose monitoring. It makes it a much fairer game when you can actually see what you're dealing with. Formal nhs education is not keeping up . It's based on strips. Official carb counting courses like DAFNE will say things like don't test between meals unless you feel hypo and save corrections until meals. Sorry, f*ck that. With cgm, if I see my graph starting to inflect up or down, I can decide on the fly whether I need a small 5g or 1 or 2u correction to tweak it back imto line before it gets anywhere near out of range. It removes a lot of the uncertainty and erraticness. Plus your phone will ring if you go below a set point, so you can avoid hypos.

Cgm is hugely liberating and I'd strongly encourage you to look into it. There's dexcom, officially costs £200 per month, but there's ways of using it unofficially which bring it down to about £100 per month. Libre is £100 per month, and there's a small add on transmitter called blucon for £96 one off cost which turns it into cgm. If you live in an area which does libre on the nhs, all the better - cgm for free.

Some good books:

Think Like a Pancreas - Gary Scheiner
Sugar Surfing - Stephen Ponder
Beyond Fingersticks - William Lee Dubois
Breakthrough... - Thea Cooper

The middle two are about cgm. The last one won't teach you much about the management of T1, but it's still worth a read. Well researched book about the history of the discovery of insulin. The stories about parents queuing up around the block in the desperate hope of getting some of the limited supplies are harrowing. We're not lucky to be T1, but we've got it relatively easy compared to back then.

Good luck, mate, this is often not an easy ride, but it's do-able. Once you get the basic rules under your belt, you'll be surprised how much latitude there is. And if it all goes wrong, there's nothing a bag of jelly babies won't sort!
Thanks @Scott-C You really have a great way of explaining stuff. Really useful.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Ha, yes, it is very different now! When I started out in pre-internet days, I was given a few sheets of paper showing carb values of some foods in relation to the carb content of a Digestive biscuit!

A small note of caution. Newly dx'd often attack it head on, read all the books, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, there's definitely a technical aspect to it, and it's worthwhile learning about the biology of it.

But then, what sometimes happens is they think they've got it sussed, got their ratios worked out, but then a few random results pop up, and they get dispirited. Some go on a major downer. They've put all that effort in and T1 then just doesn't play by the rules.

There's no easy answer to this. Sometimes, it just doesn't play by the rules. I've been doing this for 30 years, am fairly clued up on it, but I still get unexplained hypos and hypers (although, with cgm, nothing disastrous).

One way of approaching it is to simply accept that because of the many chemical interactions going on which insulin and food are subject to, we're highly unlikely to get it right all the time.

So, don't be too disheartened if you get unexplained flyers. It happens.
Again thanks @Scott-C. I for one feel reassured. I thought I had it sussed and had read like a maniac and then was totally thrown by some numbers in odd circumstances that didn't match up. Thanks for putting it straight.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @IC_81 . Sorry to hear of your sons recent diagnosis.
I was fortunate to be diagnosed in my 20's and have no real experience of diabetes and those teenage years, which will be upon you soon.
We all find and have our own ways of living with diabetes and I'm sure your son will figure his way.
I believe that being a T1 diabetic is something to be proud of. It's not something that has to be hidden away. Make it part of your family life in a positive way. Use it to motivate not only your son but the family as well.
You will find so much of diabetes is numbers and ratios and timings. Don't become obsessed with all of this, yes it's important, but life, laughter and love is far more important. Find that balance and you will be okay.