Type 1, Not Using Insulin?

AstraeaStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Recently I commented on a YouTube video that was about keeping blood sugar down and what they were suggesting, ie. taking cinnamon every day to keep sugar down, I said that might work to some extent in type 2 but type 1 couldn't exist without taking insulin.
Anyway yesterday I got another response from these nutter's on the thread who told me that his friend was type 1 diabetic and never took any insulin only eating a vegetable diet and was very well on it.
So what I'm asking is, if type 1 diabetics only ate vegetables would that keep their blood sugar down indefinitely?
I don't believe it would, but these people are so convinced I just had to ask.

Oh and I'm 45 years type 1 since the age of 9 and although I have some of the complications I'm still pretty healthy.

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
YouTube and odd comments seem to go hand in hand...

A type one who never took any insulin would soon end up with ketoacidosis, but you must know this already if you were diagnosed 45 years ago. Possibly the 'friend' (if they exist, and the random nutter isn't just typing codswallop for something to do) is a type 2 who doesn't inject or is a low carber who can get away with not bolusing for salads. We'll probably never know.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's probably a person with LADA who hadn't lost all beta cell funtion when they started the diet. The question to be answered is how long any diet can prolong beta cell function until the person becomes insulin dependent.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @AstraeaStar :)

Ignore them - they're idiots. The friend may be honeymooning or, more likely, doesn't even exist. There is a huge amount of ignorance about Type 1. Every time certain newspapers have a story about diabetes, the comments sections are sprinkled with comments like that.

Before the discovery and successful production of insulin, Type 1 was a terminal illness. Some people died very quickly, some managed to extend their lives for a while by eating a starvation diet. But every single one of them died in the end.

People who make comments like that on YouTube annoy me a lot because newly diagnosed Type 1s, especially children and teens, will see that and be given utterly false hope.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Couldn't agree more with @azure people giving wrong information about type 1 diabetes can mislead newly diagnosed and youngsters into believing it and it's dangerous as well as lethal. When I was diagnosed I would of believed anything anyone told me if it meant a cure, obviously with knowledge comes power and so now I am fairly vocal when seeing comments like this online, I am keen to put people right and particularly when a friend/relative tells me about the joys of aloe vera or cinnamon etc etc.

I know before insulin therapy was developed in 1921 people did restrict their diets to stay alive, but death was inevitable. It really is up to each and every one of us to educate others, sadly there will always be someone (non diabetic) thinking they know more about it than us..

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just don't engage with these people @AstraeaStar, the net is full of idiots who peddle lies & misinformation........ often with dire consequences.

AstraeaStar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I agree with azure, we all know that someone newly diagnosed could really get messed up if they are told such material which is totally wrong and could lead them to their death, this is what really angers me about this.
It's a long time since I was diagnosed but I remember looking at everything I could find to learn what diabetes was all about, thankfully the internet wasn't around at that time but I can imagine how I would have reacted on reading some of the rubbish that gets posted about type 1 diabetes nowadays.
They basically told me that I was eating the wrong diet, I should be vegan, AND, that I was making myself ill because I was following the treatment dictated by doctors, I really couldn't believe what I was reading but after their last comment I stopped replying because they were just making me so angry.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey @AstraeaStar
welcome to the forum

you are with a great community of like minded people that "get" how you feel.
do keep posting -- I am sure your experience will be valuable on the forum !

all the best !