Type 1 - Slimming World or Weight Watchers

VerityJ

Hi all,
Haven't been on here for some time. I am a Type 1 and have been to clinic today and have been told I really do need to lose weight. Just wanted to some opinions really whether you think Slimming World or Weight Watchers is best.
Verity

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have been to both and more! Couldn't stick at either and gave up.

Personally, I think, now that the "diet" has to be for life and is more of a new eating regime, that going to diet classes and paying money every week doesn't work for me and is a waste of time.

I am now sticking to a lowish carb diet and have lost nearly 2 stone since September. We have a weigh-in thread which spurs me on too. And the low carb takes care of BG levels which is more important.

As soon as I think I am on a "diet" then I give up. A new eating regime is, phsychologically, much better for me and is working so far. :)

VerityJ

chocoholicnomore said:
Have been to both and more! Couldn't stick at either and gave up.

Personally, I think, now that the "diet" has to be for life and is more of a new eating regime, that going to diet classes and paying money every week doesn't work for me and is a waste of time.

I am now sticking to a lowish carb diet and have lost nearly 2 stone since September. We have a weigh-in thread which spurs me on too. And the low carb takes care of BG levels which is more important.

As soon as I think I am on a "diet" then I give up. A new eating regime is, phsychologically, much better for me and is working so far. :)

I've never done low carbing and the effort of having to try and do meals with little carbs I think I would find quite hard. What sort of dinners do you have?

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find it much easier than the slimming classes as I am choosing what I want to eat and don't need to count points or sins etc

Vivs modified atkins diet thread is a good place to start but I can't be that strict :oops:

A normal day for me is:

breakfast- maple and pecan crunch from aldis (30g carbs)
morning snack-banana or clementine
lunch- 2 slices burgen soya and linseed bread (10g carbs per slice) with cold meat.
afternoon snack-4 or 6 wheaten crackers (2.7g each) with philidaphia or hard cheese
dinner-meat with veg mix (steamed or stir fried) and 6 chips :lol: (I have just started with the chips this week and my BG level isn't affected)
evening snack-aldi's moser roth 85% chocolate (5g carbs per bar), mini milk ice lolly (5g)

I still allow myself the odd "cheat"-this week it is a chocolate chip cookie (6g) any time I feel like being "bad" (usually once or twice per day)

I was also snacking on nuts but have decided to try and give them up to lose more weight.

I have lost 2lbs this week.

If you like a bit of alcohol, I drink bacardi, which has no carbs, with diet coke.

There are people on here alot better than me. There was a thread started the other day titled "what did you eat yesterday". It's interesting and will give you some good ideas.

Good luck with it all

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Verity,

You could as part of your diabetes care package ask to see a dietitian for advice on losing weight, I found them very helpful in analyzing my diet and with their help lost over 2 stone in 18 months....... so certainly worth a try.

There has been members on the forum who have tried Slimming World and had great success, try typing 'Slimming World' in the search facility in the top right-hand corner of the forum.

Good luck! :)

Littleholls

I know its supposed to be common sense, eat less exercise more etc, some people need a plan or a diet structure to follow.

If that is what you need, I think that, having done both diets, slimming world is the better of the two. It encourages cooking from scratch and choosing healthy, filling foods. Personally, I found that weight watchers points allowed too much opportunity for unhealthy use of points, for example I'd skimp on meals to use point for treats and booze!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's a good article in the March/April edition of Balance about a type 2 losing over 5st on a Weight-Watchers diet :)

Morganden

Have you ever wondered why some people do well on one diet or another. Take SW for instance. In the old days it was red or green day. I didn't hang around long but soon realised that people were either drawn to more reds or green days. I put this down to their nutritional typing.

http://products.mercola.com/nutritional-typing/

Take a look at this link and see what you make of it and take the free test. It might explain a lot. I am a protein type and I have hardly ever craved carbs and after just 3 days of suspecting I am maybe type 2 (appointment pending with doc) my levels have stabilised. Early days I know and what happens when I start to want a bit of chocolate, which happens about twice a month :D . But knowing what I know now I am happy to ALMOST follow an Atkins way of life knowing full well that is what my body can cope with more than carbs.

Elc1112

Verity,

It doesn't matter which slimming club you join, your own personal motivation matters much more. The slimming clubs will vary from place to place and each person prefers a different approach.

Personally, I'm a big believer in the low carb and exercise often plan. Breakfast tends to be fruit or, if I'm doing an early morning workout I sometimes have branflakes or something similar. Lunch is usually salad or soup. Dinner - roasted veg, soup (if I haven't had it for lunch), chicken with veg etc. There are still a lot of options even if youndo cut the carbs. Exercise wise - I go to the gym 5-6 times a week. I do a mixture of spinning classes, kickboxing, running, cycling, swimming. I find that having a routine keeps me motivated. The exercise classes are also great as you meet new people and it gives you a sense of pressure to go back each week.

Not saying this approach will work for you. What I am saying, however, is that you need to find something that suits you. That may be slimming clubs, may be support from friends/family, may be something entirely different.

As noblehead suggested, ask to see a dietician. They will be able to suggest changes you can make to your diet. You might also want to consider seeing a personal trainer who can work with you to set some realistic exercise/weight loss goals (they aren't all mean and shout at you, I promise!)

Anyway, good luck with the weight loss. It's hard work but it's worth it!

Take care
Emma :)