Type 1 struggling with stubborn weight

kaya1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

I was diagnosed with T1 just before my 21st birthday back in October 2012. Until diagnosis, I'd always been very slim - on the underweight/healthy BMI borderline. I actually went many months with undiagnosed diabetes, and I assumed I was just losing weight because I was stressed about uni - but by the time I was hospitalised with DKA and diagnosed, I weighed 6 stone something at 5'6.

However! Since then, my weight has been a real issue. When I came out of hospital a week after diagnosis, I'd already gained a stone and a half back in water weight/from insulin, and now I think my weight is at the top end of the healthy BMI range. I'm not actually sure, because I have a history of eating issues, and I can't bring myself to check my weight.

Aside from a six-month spell where I was massively underinjecting, and I managed to lose half a stone, I just cannot shift any weight! I'm taking insulin, an antidepressant (for anxiety) and I'm on hormonal contraception, which is pretty much the holy trinity for stubborn weight gain... but I don't want that to be an excuse anymore. I'm 28 now, and keen to make whatever changes I need to make to feel like myself again.

What's my best option here to shift some of these extra pounds? I think I could comfortably lose a stone or two, but I just don't know where to start. I do IF (16:8 usually, but sometimes 18:6) and try to 'watch what I'm eating', but would it be worth giving LCHF a shot?

I would be so so grateful if any other T1s could tell me what has worked for them! Also some reassurance that it's not just me would be hugely welcome. I don't know any other diabetics of any type in real life, so I'd love to hear from people who understand what it's like!

swrigley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes, blood testing
Yes it is difficult..do the IF..have experienced LCHF..I am top end of BMI..but would prefer being slim. At the moment LC, high protein, some fat. Did try 800 but for me díd not work. Settled on 25-30g pro, max 25 carbs & fat or 1ts to 1tb 3 meals a day. With max Cals for the day up to 1450. Very slow weíght loss. But VIP satisfied, not starving and it took a while to get to current weight. So will take a while to go back. Boredom wíth food an issue so will try to rework weekly menu.

Reactions: kaya1991