Type 1: Tiredness

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just read 26.3 after taking 2.5 correction at 4am for a 17.3 reading. Had rice crispies covered with usual 2.5 units of novorapid now reading 26.3 had breakfast an hour ago l.

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I feel really good and energetic when I am between 4 and 5 % . I now know this and it usually means I will likely be going low. If I am high i feel tired.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just read 26.3 after taking 2.5 correction at 4am for a 17.3 reading. Had rice crispies covered with usual 2.5 units of novorapid now reading 26.3 had breakfast an hour ago l.

I occasionally eat Rice Krispies. I find they seem quite high GI so I have to bolus earlier. But I would have more than 2.5 units and I'm pretty insulin sensitive. I know we're all different, but I'm wondering if your insulin to carb ratio is correct.

If you're getting lots of results like that, then that could easily be contributing to the tiredness.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Keep in mind David that many of us type 1's find we become insulin resistant when bg levels are high like yours, meaning the usual correction factor goes out of the window, I know I need a lot more insulin to normalise my bg levels when they are in double figures than I do in single digits.

Read the book Think Like a Pancreas, the author discusses this and much more and also mentions that when bg levels are high like yours you should leave a longer duration between bolusing and eating, but best you speak with your DSN about getting your insulin doses sorted.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
If my BG goes low, under 4 an incredible tiredness takes over me which is worrying as if I fall asleep I cannot then remedy the low so as soon as I feel the tiredness coming on I take some glucose!

Pink lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My sugars are all over the place. My sugars are quite low most of the time 3-4 because i have a physical job so hypos i don't always notice but for some reason there up and down. I do test every couple of hours or more sometimes. I have noticed that there high most mornings at the moment. Sometimes there in the late teens to early 20's and there high for quite a few hours then it just drops back in line. Then at some point during the day it may gi back up again in to the teens.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
I get lows at times down to 2.4 & up to 22 plus . Diabetic nurse is your answer , I had been told to take X amount of insulin ,on 2 types, but cut down on food as my weight has risen in last 4 Years so nurse told me to lower dose ,How often do you check your bloods I do it 7/8 times a day , & yes I am very tired all the time Really Tired . Not nice is it .

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get lows at times down to 2.4 & up to 22 plus . Diabetic nurse is your answer , I had been told to take X amount of insulin ,on 2 types, but cut down on food as my weight has risen in last 4 Years so nurse told me to lower dose ,How often do you check your bloods I do it 7/8 times a day , & yes I am very tired all the time Really Tired . Not nice is it .
It definitely isn't nice. The DN said to have 16 units of lantus and after 4 days if it not enough then go up by 2. This morning out of the blue it was 5.1 this morning. It increased to 7.7 in 45 mins which i assume is my body giving me some glucose to get my bum moving. This is day 4 of 16 units. Would ut take this long for my body to get use to it?

Can you get duff cartridges??

I get through a box of 50 test strips in 4 or 5 days so a hell of a lot of testing for me at the moment. Sore fingers.

Pink lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If my BG goes low, under 4 an incredible tiredness takes over me which is worrying as if I fall asleep I cannot then remedy the low so as soon as I feel the tiredness coming on I take some glucose!
God hope your not driving go see your DNS or GP & check rules re driving under 4 is classed as a Hypo & needs treating properly. I am Type 2 Insulian Restiant my levels were like yours a couple of was ago I an trying to lose weight so my DNS reduced my2 types on Ins & my levels are not aloud to go below 7/8 before meals, I was thinking lower levels are good but not as low as I was & you are. Good luck

Pink lady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It definitely isn't nice. The DN said to have 16 units of lantus and after 4 days if it not enough then go up by 2. This morning out of the blue it was 5.1 this morning. It increased to 7.7 in 45 mins which i assume is my body giving me some glucose to get my bum moving. This is day 4 of 16 units. Would ut take this long for my body to get use to it?

Can you get duff cartridges??

I get through a box of 50 test strips in 4 or 5 days so a hell of a lot of testing for me at the moment. Sore fingers.
I get through 200 plus per month of cartridges but been told as much as you need you have &I yep sore fingers try using L/R & top of each finger if one gets sore leave for a while I am on Lantus 80 unite long acting & 8/10 units ofHumolog with each meal . I'll yesterday D&V so no food ran GP Still had to take my usual dose & it was high all day cause ot infection , I have never tester after meals , why do you test , on what you've said you either need to eat a snack I'd biscuits or the like . I have been told Never to go to bed on a last reading of less than 9 .
I would say your body is pleased to have what it needs make sure you eat 3 x per day. My eye site is blurry now but can help you more later if you need , how long have you Been DB?

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diabetic for 20 and half years. I always test after meals because no meal is ever the same size and food nutrition can change. Your body changes, you get older plus can get insulin resilient. I've never really taken much interest in my diabetes until i started getting other medical problems ie thyroid dry eyes vitamin b12 deficiency and vitiligo so i have a serious immune problems. I only ever had diabetes since the last 6 months. 80 units sounds a lot to me?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @David Wass - have you only been type 1 - 6 months or 20 years ? What care do you receive from the NHS ? In regards to insulin requirements we are all different, 80 units may sound a lot to a type 1 diabetic, but not to a type 2 who is insulin resistant. By getting your carb ratios adjusted and doing some basal testing you can start to work on reducing those high numbers, has your team discussed getting you onto a Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating course yet ? This will help you in regards to making adjustments your self and acting on those higher numbers. Running at the levels you are will certainly impact on your energy levels, by getting into your target range more often will help your body process glucose more efficiently. It's about becoming an expert and learning as much as you can and of course taking the right bolus/basal amounts to stay within target more often.

Trueblue14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not being near my family. My sister and her husband have a little girl. I want to see her grow up. My Mom lives with them, too. I miss them all.
Reactions: 2 people

Janet_rabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
intolerance, hatred, fighting
I had the same sleepy problems for a while but, like sugarsweetDino it turned out to be that I was hypothyroid. The daily Thyroxin my doctor prescribed sorted out the sleepiness very quickly! Definitely worth asking for a check.

Reactions: 2 people

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @David Wass - have you only been type 1 - 6 months or 20 years ? What care do you receive from the NHS ? In regards to insulin requirements we are all different, 80 units may sound a lot to a type 1 diabetic, but not to a type 2 who is insulin resistant. By getting your carb ratios adjusted and doing some basal testing you can start to work on reducing those high numbers, has your team discussed getting you onto a Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating course yet ? This will help you in regards to making adjustments your self and acting on those higher numbers. Running at the levels you are will certainly impact on your energy levels, by getting into your target range more often will help your body process glucose more efficiently. It's about becoming an expert and learning as much as you can and of course taking the right bolus/basal amounts to stay within target more often.

I've been diabetic for 20 years. I've got an appointment to see the DN and dietician in September. They have mentioned the DAFNE course to me. I'm still waiting to see my diabetic doctor. Nhs got my appointments in a muddle and still waiting when i can see my doctor.

I'm not very familiar with type 2 which is why i didn't understand the high insulin dosage. Though i do know a few type 2's. They have a terrible time trying to get help with it.

David Wass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has your doctor looked into hypothyroid? Mostly common for women, but men can have it. Also, T1D (type 1 diabetic) are prone.

I have hyperthyroidism overactive thyroid. I take carbimozle for it and antihistamine because it brings me out in itchy lumps and swell like I've got nettle rash. It's an autoimmune problem in our family. Got t1d, hyperthyroidism, vitiligo and a vitamin b12 deficiency. I'm only youngish.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Never once in forty one years of type one diabetes and having a license the same time have I had a hypo at the wheel or the handlebars come to that! If you feel low you just just stop, but with a bit of forward planning this shouldn't really happen.

Reactions: 4 people