Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My HbA1c is 120, I guess that means I am diabetic now. Also had very elevated Liver markers, and off-the-scale Cholesterol. I blame Bailey's Cream on Christmas pudding, Brie, and Red Wine.

Now on a low-carb diet and Metformin, hopefully, I can lose 5 stone and get back to my ideal weight.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My HbA1c is 120, I guess that means I am diabetic now. Also had very elevated Liver markers, and off-the-scale Cholesterol. I blame Bailey's Cream on Christmas pudding, Brie, and Red Wine.

Now on a low-carb diet and Metformin, hopefully, I can lose 5 stone and get back to my ideal weight.
I hope the low carb and metformin will get you back to healthier numbers soon!

You might like the other thread better, it's aimed aimed at T2's while this one is aimed at T1's: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t2-hba1c-results.199215/page-6

Good luck!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Etenc I think teenagers are known to have the worse control. It's a time where you are trying to fit in and find out what you like etc and you have this extra "burden" you have to deal with. It would probably be helpful if there were any meetings she could go to and meet some other type1's close to her age.

Etenc

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
@Etenc I think teenagers are known to have the worse control. It's a time where you are trying to fit in and find out what you like etc and you have this extra "burden" you have to deal with. It would probably be helpful if there were any meetings she could go to and meet some other type1's close to her age.
We live in S.Africa now but previous to this we were in Zambia so unfortunately she didn't have access to meetings and group events. Thankfully she has started to reach out and make contact with others here to find out how they deal with going out for a night, over compensating if dropping low etc. Slowly but surely

AlfieType1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I have recently had my Hb1Ac and it was 50. Unsure if this is good on the bases that I feel my Highs are counteracting my Lows on the result.. just started DAFNE course this week, and appear to have very good time in range after the first session so fingers crossed things will improve

RoughcutAU

Wow got a quick result from yesterday mornings tests. The HbA1c was available to read that afternoon.

HbA1c 6.0/42 I’m very happy with that. Lets just hope the Endocrinologist is at my appointment in a couple weeks … after my cruise. No doubt he will probably want it alittle higher worried about hypos - even though he can look at CGM data and see TBR <5% … most of which is compression lows or an overly cautious CGM.

Last edited:

RoughcutAU

IMG_1708572381.737850.jpg

Hopefully the TIR is acceptable. In Australia the accepted TBR is also less then 4% … so the 5% is alittle over even if I suspect most of mine are overstated or compression lows overnight.

I have started logging fingerprick test results in the notes so the clinic can see the difference between what CGM says and what blood says.

Luke2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got diagnosed on 15th January with type 1 and started insulin at this point. After 6 weeks the hospital requested another blood test (maybe to check how things were progressing?)

I’ve gone from 128 to 74 in 6 weeks. I’ve got 6 weeks to go to my next one.

Also, my cholesterol has gone from 5.8 to 3.6. Triglycerides from 5.2 to 0.7!

Really over the moon with my progress

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@mia_davis A couple of things to always remember. As an adult when you get type 1, for years your blood sugars are very erractic. Called the Honeymoon period. You still make some insulin for a while and some days more and some days less. So it can be harder to keep your blood sugars under control.

But very importantly, always have him keep a quick glucose supply on him at all times. Whether it's something like fruity bears/jelly bellies or glucose tabs you can have drops in blood sugars as our system doesn't work like it should. Some type 1's get drops before they start insulin, but it's especially important after you start insulin. By his bed too.

Reactions: mia_davis

mab1402

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your H test results?

Mine is 7.1mmol
My 35 year old son has just had his results - been diabetic since aged for - he is being told off for having HBa1c of 38 which converts to 5.6? is that deemed too low and are they trying to get it a bit higher to avoid hypos? Desk job during the week, active farmer at weekend.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My 35 year old son has just had his results - been diabetic since aged for - he is being told off for having HBa1c of 38 which converts to 5.6? is that deemed too low and are they trying to get it a bit higher to avoid hypos? Desk job during the week, active farmer at weekend.
Hi @mab1402 , welcome to the forum.

Does your son use a CGM?

If 38 is too low or not depends on how many lows he has and how low he goes.
It's perfect if it's a result of very stable blood glucose, but too low if it's a result of many hypers and hypos.

• Agree
Reactions: Hopeful34

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
That does seem a bit low but if he's not having hypos that's fantastic , I got my knuckles rapped a couple of years ago for having an HBa1c of 44 and told I should get it up to about 50 .

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@mab1402 My HBa1c is 34 right now and it's usually between 32-34. My endo doesn't care because my TIR is excellent. She never says anything bad, that I'm doing great!

You consistently hear of doctors saying a persons HBa1c is too low. But it depends on the doctor, what they know and I guess what they care about. In the US most, but not all, endos are judging the A1c with the TIR of type 1's. The problem with just an A1c is how you get there. If you take a 4 and an 6, you end up with an average of 5, but if you have a 2 and an 8 you still end up with a 5. So it depends how you get to that average. Peaks and valleys or rolling hills. The rolling hills are a much healthier way to achieve that 5 average.

They actually really care about the low percentage the most. They don't want it above 4% low and preferably under 3% lows. I've actually had a 30 HBa1c, and not one word against it. But I stay around a 96-98% TIR with 1-2% lows.

So does he have a CGM? If he doesn't, he might try to get one. It gives a good picture of how he's getting to his numbers. If he has one, how is his lows? Or it could be a doctor that's old school and doesn't like Hba1c's that are in the 5's or lower 5's. A lot of us here got flack about low HBa1c's until they understood that the CGM's were telling them you didn't have to have lows to get there. Now I get told by my various doctors that I'm doing great!

Last edited: