Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

silviu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I just thought of sharing my hba1c, not to brag about it or anything. I'm at 5.6% / 38 mmol/mol. I used to be lower (around 5.1%) but was able to reduce the low blood sugar occurrences during the night in the last 6 months.
I've been with type 1 for the last 37 years, with Humalog and Lantus (for the last 20 years), eating 3 days per week (for the last 6 years), alternating vegetarian in winter and vegan in summer. Monitoring with freestyle libre. Currently 183 cm with 77 kg (6ft/170lbs), BMI 23.
Generally disappointed with doctors in all 5 countries where I lived. I appreciated one of them who told me that she has nothing to tell me. So she gave me the prescriptions and let me go. Ha!
I'm anxious about the long term effects that I have been trying to avoid for so long. With age, it becomes clear that at some point, they'll kick in. Good luck to everyone out there!

Last edited:

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
After listening to Prof Partha Kar and Dr Iain Cranston at the diabetes wellness and research foundation day at Kenilworth a couple of weeks ago, They asserted that HbA1C is less relevant than 'time in range' of which 70% should be aimed for due to daily fluctuations in levels
Interesting take from the people who advise NICE and are responsible for bringing CGMs to prominance in the NHS
Did they say what the higher reading should be within the 'time in range'?

Reactions: ert and LucySW

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am not familiar with what was said by Prof Partha Kar and Dr Iain Cranston.

But personally A1c is still important, it's just TIR tells you how you got to that A1c. You could have peaks and valleys in numbers and have the same A1c as someone with rolling hills. Peaks and valleys carry more risks, potentially too many lows to offset too many highs. 3 at night and then 11 after meals, will give you an average of 7. But 6 at night and then 8 after you eat will also give you an average of 7. The 6 and 8 being much better numbers to have with less risks and potential side effects of being too low or too high.

In the US the recommended TIR is 70% between 3.9-10. (70-180). But importantly they want you to stay under 4% lows, preferably under 3% lows. That leaves the more wiggle room for being "too high". A lower/higher A1c is fine as long as you stay in those perimeters and stay under a 47.5 (6.5) A1c. Sometimes under 53 (7) A1c if you are older or have other issues. At first there was some fluff given for too low of an A1c, but there seems to be an acceptance that as long as you don't have too many lows and have a good TIR you are doing fine. At least by most endos now, not all of course, but not all endos are good either!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Newly diagnosed on 19 May this year with HB1AC of 147 (15.1%). As of today, according to my Dexcom, my average for last 90 days is 6.7%.

Next HB1AC test is next month at my first 6monthly check with consultant, hoping my Dexcom hasn’t been telling me lies

Last edited:

RobertJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine is 7.3% (56)

Little depressing reading all these replies… everyone on around 5%

I have a high intensity job. I eat two slices of brown bread for breakfast, an apple for mid-morning snack, soup and a bread roll for lunch, and something similar for dinner.

Despite being incredibly focused on blood sugars I can’t help wild spikes and drops. Any suggestions?

I have a high intensity job which burns a lot of energy (hence the need for some bread) and I also don’t have a lot of time or money for making fancy/expensive breakfasts etc

Thanks

I was like this for ages. I was diagnosed aged 12 so a bit different than you but still in childhood. When you're diagnosed in childhood it's chaotic and you don't develop good habits from Day 1 like many of the people who get Type 1 in adulthood do. Then it becomes an exercise in fighting fire rather than feeling on top of it.

I've had some periods of great control in the last year or so and my life has not been more difficult than when my control was bad. Perhaps your ratios are a bit off and this explains big spikes? Perhaps you are not dosing far enough in advance of meals due to a fear of going low and this is causing problems? You can absolutely eat bread and pasta and still have good control, it just requires going back to basics, taking a step back and reviewing your methods.

Last edited:

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Diabetic for 47 years now and retired now 68, last test was 6.1% have not gone over 7 in last fifteen years now and on insulin pump. Diabetes No complications other than aging joint and the like. lol. Carb counting and avoid any low fat product or one advertised as healthy! and eat a varied fairly low cab diet. Eat normal real Greek yoghurts, cheese, full fat milk but cut portion of milk down as it can spike if too much on cereal. Food where I live is Mediterranean so good for Diabetics just exclude the cakes as they love sugar and honey! Walk a lot and active.Pumps good but fingers are shot as 3 finger pricks a day or more. Waiting for the day I don't need to do that. :D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Ro9998 I think this is what you want to know

Depending on your countries measurements they use

7 mmol average or 126 mg by finger prick
would be a 42 A1c or a 6% A1c

Reactions: Prancy

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Another HbA1c at 5%. It has been 6 month since my last which was 5%. I wondered if they did not wait the usual year between blood tests because they thought it was not credible. :)

Reactions: Prancy and Antje77

Jenny 105

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My last test was a few weeks ago UK 42. ''i thought that was great until the DN said its too low you must be having hypos. Lower the 1x insulin by 2.''

I think theres confusion over a malfunctioning monitor which showed under 4 sometimes earlier in 23. With no symptoms. The monitor was changed and I test 4- 6 times a day, nothing below 5 . on the monitor , no need to comment

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My last test was a few weeks ago UK 42. ''i thought that was great until the DN said its too low you must be having hypos. Lower the 1x insulin by 2.''

I think theres confusion over a malfunctioning monitor which showed under 4 sometimes earlier in 23. With no symptoms. The monitor was changed and I test 4- 6 times a day, nothing below 5 . on the monitor , no need to comment
Hi @Jenny 105 , I completely agree with you. If you aren't having frequent lows, a hba1c of 42 is brilliant!

Are you a T2 on insulin? It may be a good idea to change your profile info, which says tablets.
This thread is aimed at T1s, so you might want to post in the T2 hba1c thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t2-hba1c-results.199215/

• Agree
Reactions: ianf0ster

Jenny 105

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Jenny 105 , I completely agree with you. If you aren't having frequent lows, a hba1c of 42 is brilliant!

Are you a T2 on insulin? It may be a good idea to change your profile info, which says tablets.
This thread is aimed at T1s, so you might want to post in the T2 hba1c thread: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/t2-hba1c-results.199215/
Thanks I had no idea i was on the forum already . That must go back a couple off years, when i briefly looked in. Apologies

Reactions: Antje77

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My hbiac is 95 I’m confused with food Iv cut my carbs right down with vegetables. How much am I able to have for each meal. Thankyou so much.
emoji3.png
@alison2006 would you mind if me or another mod moved your post (and the replies) to a new thread? The conversation will get interrupted by people posting their hba1c on this thread and I really think you would be better off with your own separate discussion.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
No I don’t mind at all if you move it. I was under hospital for it but after Covid I never saw them again so I am going to ask drs to refer me back.
I've moved alison2006 's posts and their replies to a new thread here

Reactions: Antje77