1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by 1974darrenh, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Or just as likely the meter will give a lower result because the times of testing underrepresent the period of time spent with high BG. It's a **** shoot. The one thing you can be sure of is that the 90 day average BG will never match the HBa1c, (even after "conversion"), except by blind luck.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ConradJ

ConradJ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

...or such testing frequency that one has calloused fingers thicker than tank armour >. <

• Like Like x 2
  3. southdenes

southdenes · Member

I have only recently started testing again since I started the low carb diet for the past two weeks ,but even when im strict with the diet and moderate exercise I am still getting unexpected high readings 9 or 10 two hours after eating , I do wonder about the accuracy of these meters (microdot)

4. ConradJ

Are you taking insulin?

Have you been able to take note of what you have eaten that results in the highs?

5. gemgem85

gemgem85 Type 1 · Newbie

11.8 about 3 months ago

6. saraD1

saraD1 Type 1 · Member

I'm exalty like this I carb count but I my hbac1 were42 and classed as non diabetic range so I am on half dozes as they think my body is sensitive to insulin how can my body become sensitive to something I need. Xx

7. nmr1991

nmr1991 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm going to try and talk a strategy with my dietician/nutritionist, though i've already put together a food diary to catalog my eating habits, as my diabetic nurse has urged me to eat in more structured intervals such as breakfast, lunch and dinner since I am used to just eating at random times during the day whenever I feel hungry. As I first told her this I did come to expect her to respond that it's difficult to cover every random time that I eat with insulin, and she knew that my HbA1c reflected on me not injecting for everything that I ate. Last hba1c was unreadable, if I had to guess, i'd say it's between 16% and 20% right now, my goal by october when I have my next test is to get it at least below 16% so it can be read.

I've sort of ran low these past few days on purpose just to see if it might make a difference.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ConradJ

That's high, but not impossible to change - don't lose hope and take things a little bit at a time and you will begin to see results.

Just post if you need help or just to rant or otherwise... most of us have been where you are.

9. ConradJ

A few days are unlikely to show much, but a few weeks definitely will... the hardest thing is to sustain your changes over years. Your plan to talk strategy is an excellent one.

I drew up a checklist of foods that I needed to eliminate and a parallel column of foods to introduce/increase... I scheduled the elimination of one item combined with the introduction/increase of another over a two month period. Not only did it keep me focused but also served as an encouraging chart reminding me of all I was achieving.

Three years on my HbA1c is 46 and you wouldn't recognise my old and new lifestyles, although I still succumb to the very occasional craving (it's hard undoing 36 years of inappropriate habits).

Anyway, very best of luck with your fight.

Kind regards,
    Conrad

10. ConradJ

!

Wow! (lol)

Thanks for that; I shall review my data accordingly.

11. Sucre Bleu

Sucre Bleu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had my 2nd HbA1c after getting back on track from a severe burnout episode, on admission to hospital it was 16.1.
    The first one after discharge was 9.0, maybe a month later. The dear old Professor in the Diabetes Clinic, said that was a "remarkable" improvement. So imagine yesterday I was 7.4. Literally I have not had a result like that in ages, Had an 8 maybe 2 years ago. I would like to thank the Academy, the Prof, family and friends, especially my cousin who had never seen me hypo before
    and of course this forum :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. ZahidaziZ

ZahidaziZ Type 1 · Newbie

Before2 months resultwas 11.8
    Now 8.5

13. ZahidaziZ

ZahidaziZ Type 1 · Newbie

But my fasting level is 440 /458/ 480

14. nmr1991

nmr1991 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Since the last few tests have been unreadable, well i've got a month until I get my hba1c checked out and hope its fallen into the 14-16% range, had a closer eye on my glucose levels so it should be readable the next time I get my bloods done.

15. Emjay1581

Emjay1581 Type 2 · Member

Today I got my hba1c results (my 3rd since diagnosed in April 2015) and im really happy. In April my hba1c was 98 and as of September 17 I was 44.

• Like Like x 11
  16. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Congrats @Emjay1581 you must be feeling so much better now that it is lower :D

17. ConradJ

Fantastic! Well done you; Keep it up.

18. Ali H

Ali H Type 2 · Well-Known Member

38 or 5.6 in old money as of last Friday.

Ali

• Like Like x 3
  19. TooMuchGlucose

TooMuchGlucose Type 1 · Well-Known Member

47 :D down from 151 at diagnosis I'm so relieved thought it would've been higher.

• Like Like x 5
  20. becky.ford93

becky.ford93 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

52. Went up from 46 three months ago, so I'm a little upset but definitely anticipated it, and the consultant was actually really happy with that. Guess this is what coming out of the honeymoon feels like!

• Like Like x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook