Type 1: What are your HbA1c test results?

katto

Mine was 6.4 which is the lowest it's been before it
Was 7.4 and 7.6 and then previous to that it was in the 8's!! I have a fair few hypos though so trying to work
Out a balance and not hae to get up at 2am!!

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
finally got my first HbA1c from October
where my HbA1c was 9.5 new HbA1c is 6.4
so cheers for the help folks

candi-girl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
8.6 today but after being quite ill before christmas for a few good weeks it's not too bad.
3.6 chol

Dislikes
I don't like onions or spiders. Nor hot foods! Sorry spice lovers!
Mine are 15% at the moment, oops! Best i've been is 7.4, and one before my last was 10.1 :/

spmccann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First diagnosed in October with 8.7 for type 2 and the last test 6.8 or 48 in the new measurement. Am feeling quite pleased with myself :)

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
My last one was 55 / 7.2 which was a slight increase on my last one at 48/ 6.7. I am not delighted with that as I've just found out I'm pregnant, although I guess it could be worse. Christmas is slightly to blame, all that festive food and drink did not help!

I'm sure I'll be heading back down south now and expect an A1c of less than 6 now for the next 8 months especially as my super strict consultant is targeting me to be below 8 after meals now until I give birth :shock:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
James12 said:
My last one was 5%

Keep up the good work everyone!
James12

How odd - your HbA1c was 5% ?
Your own profile states you as a non-diabetic nor any relation to one :shock: :?:

Viv asks you this same question, on another thread too .

Anna.

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
the_anticarb said:
my super strict consultant is targeting me to be below 8 after meals now until I give birth :shock:

How on earth are you going to manage that?! :shock:
Sent from my GT-I9100 using DCUK Forum mobile app

the_anticarb

Dislikes
LemonTree said:
the_anticarb said:
my super strict consultant is targeting me to be below 8 after meals now until I give birth :shock:

How on earth are you going to manage that?! :shock:

Oh, it gets better - sometimes he says you can't go above seven after meals!

The only way to manage that is to overinject a huge bolus about half an hour before I eat and then go hypo two hours later. Seriously - in my last pregnancy I was going hypo 6 times a day.
Its that or cut out the carbs significantly, which is looking like the better option at the moment although may not be so easy further into the pregnancy

Fun Fun Fun!

AMBrennan

The only way to manage that is to overinject a huge bolus about half an hour before I eat and then go hypo two hours later. Seriously - in my last pregnancy I was going hypo 6 times a day.
Did you tell your consultant about the hypos?

Have you tried eating a snack after an hour or so, cutting down on main meals if necessary?

the_anticarb

Dislikes
The problem with pregnancy is that highs hurt the baby but hypos only hurt the mother so the temptation is constantly to overdose to save the baby at the expense of my own health!

I will have 10 hypos a day if it means a healthy baby. In my last pregnancy the baby was fine so it was all worth it even if it did get impossible towards the end.

I will try the snack thing, I will probably just end up chasing my tail again with my sugars, but gonna ask for a pump this time.

Thanks

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(
So this is what I have to look forward to... :-|

mrawfell

I am T2, taking 750 mg Glucophage XR, and 50 mg Vildagliptin. My HbA1c has been creeping down and is now 4.0%. My doctor says good stop the Glucophage. I haven't yet ( I still have some tablets ) but my FBS is up at 7, which I don't like, it used to be between 5.0 and 5.5. I am completely confused.

spmccann

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@mrawfell have you been exercising a lot recently I find my morning readings are much higher on days after I do resistance workouts. Also make sure your getting enough sleep. I wish my HbA1c was 4.0% so you must be doing something right :)

shannese

My grand daughters who is 10 YRS diagnosed at had a bad dka and was told ideally she should keep her hbA1c
Test around 7.5 her last one wad 8.2

sticks71

Type 1 for over 35 years, been on an insulin pump since 2003. Sept 2012 HbA1c result was 6.7. Then went onto Omnipod. HbA1c last week was 5.8. Well happy with that!

James12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: What are your H test results?

moonstone said:
HbA1c is also measured in mmols but if yours was 7.1 you'd be dead as it's far too low for survival :) the blood sugar tests on our meters are measured in mmol/l and the HbA1c in mmol/mol. If you mean your HbA1c was 7.1% then you're bang on target. Check out the converters on this site. Mine was 9.3%, or 78 mmols/mol.

i think you must be misinformed. If your A1C is 7.1% - you are almost 100% going to develop complications, probably within only a few years.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's not quite right James. An hba1c of 7.1 means you are just under twice as likely to get complications compared to non-diabetics.

Here's a link:
http://img.medscape.com/slide/migrated/ ... ide027.gif

I've been in the 7s for most of my 9 years as a T1 and haven't had any problems. A colleague of mine has been in the 7s most of his 30 years and is ok.

Edited to add link.