Type 1

mattlee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does anyone know if your able to claim any benefit on your bad days? I have recently been diagnosed type 1.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure I understand the question, but I think the answer is no. There is no system of claiming benefits ad hoc for a day - even statutory sick pay doesn't kick in until you have been off sick for more than 4 days.

If you are very recently diagnosed it might be very up and down at the moment - if you are finding that's giving you bad days to the point where you can't work or look after yourself, speak to your DSN. Because it should be possible to manage diabetes to avoid that kind of impact if you have some help from your medical team on the right tools to use.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not sure what you mean by bad days? The only potential problem is from hypos and once you get your insulin balance right you may be able to avoid them completely or spot them and take some glucose. I've had no real hypos in my 3 years on insulin and I've been able to notice when I'm going low and eat some carbs. It's important to not have too many carbs to avoid large blood sugar swings.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @mattlee

I'm guessing you mean some kind of disability benefit? In general, people with diabetes would only be entitled to such benefits if they had 'extra' problems on top of the diabetes.

Type 1 in and of itself doesn't qualify a person for disability benefits.

If your situation is complicated, you could speak to the DWP or Citizens Advice, or even your DSN.