Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ok - just congratulate yourself that you know so much more than this woman, you're the expert here so whatever she says is not relevant.

I think sometimes people say stuff like this because they are just filling in airtime and it's something to say, and they don't care how stupid it makes them sound. My boss said last week that 'oh you have the really bad diabetes don't you'....... aaarrrrrrrggggghhh.......... Like any type is better than the other, it's down to perception. My boss doesn't know that I manage my diabetes just fine and it's not a life changer, I manage it and it doesn't manage me, hey presto.

There is alot of work to be done in educating the uneducated out there, good luck all ;)

Reactions: 3 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Ok - just congratulate yourself that you know so much more than this woman, you're the expert here so whatever she says is not relevant.

I think sometimes people say stuff like this because they are just filling in airtime and it's something to say, and they don't care how stupid it makes them sound. My boss said last week that 'oh you have the really bad diabetes don't you'....... aaarrrrrrrggggghhh.......... Like any type is better than the other, it's down to perception. My boss doesn't know that I manage my diabetes just fine and it's not a life changer, I manage it and it doesn't manage me, hey presto.

There is alot of work to be done in educating the uneducated out there, good luck all ;)
I knew I was right, I just needed back up, it annoys me so much when people say that! Yet they probably eat far more sugar than me!! And that annoys me too when people go "Oh you have the bad diabetes dont you!!"

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yeah sadly negative comments about diabetes really are annoying, as we have to live with it, still when I hear something like that it does make me feel quite clever as I know more about it than them !! I always wanted to be good at something in life - so I got really good at diabetes !!!

Stay positive Nicola and don't let anyone get you down, if they do come on here and we will all back you up (in our own private forum way !!)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Can't add any more than what's already been said, try not to let it bother you Nicola as people often do get it all badly wrong.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Can't add any more than what's already been said, try not to let it bother you Nicola as people often do get it all badly wrong.
I think she does it to get to me aswell! Looking for a reaction from my Dad I think! but she doesnt get one!

D

Deleted member 83869

Yeah sadly negative comments about diabetes really are annoying, as we have to live with it, still when I hear something like that it does make me feel quite clever as I know more about it than them !! I always wanted to be good at something in life - so I got really good at diabetes !!!

Stay positive Nicola and don't let anyone get you down, if they do come on here and we will all back you up (in our own private forum way !!)

Thank you ha! Im glad I got my Diabetes buddies (as my boyfriend calls it) haha!

itconor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As a Type 1 this is something that comes up far to often and media portrayal of Diabetes doesn't really help at all. i get told all the time "its my own fault"

Omar101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance, laziness.
It probably doesn't help when people see how much fitter and stronger I am than them and they ask how on earth I have diabetes and I tell them I only eat cake every meal everyday with the straightest poker face I can muster.

tomvonc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anyone who asks a question about diabetes without thinking what they're asking.
It probably doesn't help when people see how much fitter and stronger I am than them and they ask how on earth I have diabetes and I tell them I only eat cake every meal everyday with the straightest poker face I can muster.
I regularly post on Facebook that I have eaten a tin of Quality Street, just to see peoples reactions ;-)

Clarakor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You're dad's girlfriend is talking out of a hole on her backside! Type 1 is an autoimmune disorder and you did NOTHING WRONG!
You cannot prevent type 1 diabetes! People who think that make me sick! You tell your dad's girlfriend she is wrong and to stop making you feel bad! Xxxxxxxxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Grrrr this is so frustrating!!!! People at work think that I must have eaten tonnes of sugary snacks when I was younger and how can I have "sugar diabetes" when I'm not overweight!!! :(

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App