Type 1's What is your BG in the morning?

thetallerpaul

Me: ...and that Jeremy was when I knew I was losing him. His heart just wasn't in it anymore.There was still some function but it was just a matter of time until he was gone altogether.

Jeremy: Shall we get him out then? Come on out Pancreas!

Audience: BOOOOOOOOO

Pancreas: You don't know me! You don't know me! **** off! ****'s! Do you know it took him months to even notice I was leaving? Did he tell you that! What was I supposed to do?

Jeremy: You know what your problem is? I'll tell you! You don't realise how important a stable happy endocrine system is! Its not you two I feel sorry for its the innocent little eyes, and feet, and kidneys that get used as pawns. They are the ones who have to pick up the pieces and take the damage you selfish pair dish out!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
thetallerpaul said:
That analogy may have got away from me a little there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: It was very good mate!!

thetallerpaul

Laughter is the second best medicine. Medicine is the best medicine.

5.9 this morning after some good eating last night. I'm starting to see a pattern that eating a lot makes my BG go down!

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
20.1 this morning.Garlic chilli chicken,no rice,no naan breads,1 sheek kebab and 1 cauliflour bhaji from the Indian last night obviously didn't agree with me.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
9.1 :(
It was really good yesterday (day average 6.1) until bedtime when it shot up to 10.6 and stayed there all night despite several correction boluses during the night. Finally got it to 7.1 and now it's back to 7.8. Lantus injection site from last night is a tad painful so I wonder if that might be the culprit.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
robert72 said:
Finally got it to 7.1 and now it's back to 7.8. Lantus injection site from last night is a tad painful so I wonder if that might be the culprit.

Likely Robert if last night was a one-off, where do you inject your lantus?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my thigh. This particular one seemed to sting throughout the night but has calmed down now. By now I have had enough correctional boluses to cover it. I imagine it must have got trapped somehow.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
robert72 said:
In my thigh. This particular one seemed to sting throughout the night but has calmed down now. By now I have had enough correctional boluses to cover it. I imagine it must have got trapped somehow.

Perhaps it was, but as a long-time diabetic I don't need to tell you about site rotation. Robert what I find works best with lantus is injecting in the buttocks, it takes a bit of getting us to injecting here but I find it is less painful and never have any problems with absorption/lumps etc.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks noblehead. I used to inject there exclusively when first diagnosed but had to stop when they got lumpy. They seem to have recovered quite a bit now so might try that real-estate again.

Philip60

Can I chip in here? I also started as type 2, (aged 47) but doing loads of bg tests each day and charting them in Excel I finally got GAD tests and consequent type 1 diagnosis. That was 4 or 5 years ago, and I’m currently on about 12 Lantus, with Humalog as necessary. I’m finding levels generally harder to control as time goes on and my body’s ability to produce insulin weakens. I changed my Lantus from morning to lunchtime because it was ‘running out’ and I was getting higher early morning readings.
I’m happiest with low-mid 5s on waking, but these days that's only about 30% of the time. A tip: test in the arm to see what the bg was about 10mins ago. I find my bg rises quite quickly after waking, so get a false result if leave it too long, so testing in the arm gives me a more accurate result. This phenomenon can be quite useful, eg. if you’re out and you can’t find a quiet spot to test in private.
Also be aware that daily activity can greatly affect how much slow acting insulin you need. Eg, squatting to do gardening or housework/DIY on the floor, seems to make the muscles in the leg ‘soak up’ the so-called slow acting insulin (assuming thigh injection site). This can cause fairly instant hypos and/or night-time ones. (Though the strange thing is it doesn’t seem to run out quicker as a consequence!). And if I’m more active than usual for a couple of days I vary my dose by up to 4 units. This effect can last for several days after stopping the activity. Nightly hypos have been a problem at times because of this. It’s hard to get it right sometimes – it’s best to average out 2 or 3 morning’s readings before changing the dose.
My hypo awareness varies greatly from time to time. Sometimes I notice it in the mid 4s, but occasionally I’ve got to the low 2s before sudden symptoms come on. Lowest ever was 1.7 – scary!
Philip

thetallerpaul

1.7! That would have given me a proper fright. I've not yet seen 3! I don't like the sound of this getting worse over time malarky its bad enough now. Guess I need to just make my peace with it though as I'm guessing I'm only going one way on that front. On the injection site I really don't get on with my thigh. Not enough meat on me I reckon. Is Lantus/Humalog different to what I'm on then. I have Insultard I think? As well as a Novorapid pen for with food. What is different about it?

Paul

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Philip,
Your post rings a lot of bells with me. My glucose levels also go up quickly on rising if I don't eat anything. Is quite helpful if I am going to have a fasting test since it means I don't hypo on the way.
I also find exercise can make my glucose levels crash, housework, walking, gardening, running all work similarly. I once got off my bike and found my meter saying 'lo' not a good thing and quite scary when I realise that I was riding my bike in traffic.
I'm lucky in that my doctor (and I'm not in the UK) thought that these lows weren't a good thing and I now have an insulin pump which I can switch my basal to almost nothing when I'm exercising. It doesn't totally get rid of the problem since it works better if you turn it down some time before and I'm not that organised.

I also like to be in the low fives for a fasting level.

Philip60

Hi Paul,
Humalog is much the same as your Novorapid. Lantus (Lememir is similar) is supposed to last for about 24 hours and keep you basic level close to normal, so if you eat nothing all day (and I suppose remain pretty sedentary!) and your dose was correct you would stay pretty level. But of course it's not quite that simple, is it? :lolno:
I thought Insulatard was a medium acting insulin that wasn't used so much these days, but I might be wrong. Anyway, you're on a very low dose. I was told to start with 10 units a day, which was about right for me. (Don't try that straight from 2 units though!!!) I also started with 1 unit of fast-acting insulin for meals, but upped it to 2-3 after a day or two, depending on the meal.
Your levels are too high for the long term, so I should look to increase doses carefully. I wonder, have you been told to eat 'little & often' to prevent hypos? I remember my first hypo - slight confusion and "oh, this is what it's like!" Best thing for me is orange juice - quickly absorbed. Still takes 5-10 mins, though.
Philip

Philip60

Paul, sorry, I mis-read you levels - I thought you were still fbg of 23/21, but I see that was before you were on insulin! :oops:
Philip