Type 1's What is your BG in the morning?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now 9.5 thanks to liver dump :(

All I've had is a black coffee and a mini babybel to try and distract liver

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
robert72 said:
Now 9.5 thanks to liver dump :(

All I've had is a black coffee and a mini babybel to try and distract liver

I get the same results and that is why I never miss breakfast, as they say it's the most important meal of the day! :)

bill1968

ello all, i'm totally confused by all this. I am on 6 units of novarapid each meal an 20 units of insulatard at night, my fbg is now around 6-7 (considering 3 weeks ago it started at 25 i spose its not bad) not seen the consultant yet doing that next week but there also seems to be some confusion whether i'm T1 or T2!! any feed back would be appreciated thx :roll:

thetallerpaul

Bill,

Hard to say just based on that but I can relate to the confusion as I was misdiagnosed and started on the wrong medication. Fortunately my GP was pretty good and called me after 2 days as she was bothered by some of my symptoms and I got rediagnosed. Type 1 ( or 1.5) being classified as Type 2 is relatively common and you'll find a lot of people know how that lack of certainty feels. Have you had GAD antibodies test yet or just glucose? Why do you say there is confusion?

6.8 This morning. Consultant visit on Monday so will see what she thinks.

Paul

shop

5.6 this morning and that was with some peanuts before bed so that I would not have a hypo in the night :)

I have reduced my b/fast dose by 1 unit too. Fingers crossed no hypos today. :wink:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
5.5 this morning :thumbup: Dipped down to 3.6 during the night and took a glucose tab.

Paul1976

Dislikes
The puzzle that is Asperger syndrome that I still can't fit together.
17.1 this morning-an improvement for me.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul1976 said:

How did you get on yesterday with your Consultant/DSN?

Paul1976

Dislikes
Not too bad Nigel.I've been shown how to use the pen,change needles etc..He's trying me with Byetta as some of his LADA patients have managed to stay off insulin for quite a while(Depending on how much BETA cell production they've got left) BUT he's not entirely convinced it will be enough in my case and if my levels haven't improved enough by the 23rd may when I get reviewed he's going to start me on an insulin regime so I have to wait and see but at the very least the Byetta is giving me experience with injecting meds.

michellem

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a 6.6 this morning which I was very happy with. I aim for 6-8 (31 years type 1) in the mornings but am often high due to my chronic fear of nighttime hypos.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Luckily, hypos wake me up :yawn: ...although I'd prefer not to have them :)

thetallerpaul

Paul,

Why is your consultant saying stay off Insulin? Mine was straight on it even though I only need a couple of units. I think because the low carbing made me ill but still interesting if yours is trying to avoid it. I've never even had this other stuff mentioned?

Paul

Paul1976

Dislikes
He thinks I will need Insulin but he has had SOME positive results with LADA patients with Byetta and oral meds in combination with diet as some LADA's have some insulin production left,well at least for a while anyway and he wants to explore this avenue first.I guess it differs consultant to consultant.I'm not convinced Byetta is going to help much but I have to try it and hope!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
7.1 :thumbdown: It had suddenly shot up into the twelves last night for no good reason and thumbed it's nose at my correction boluses.

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.9 this morning. Not so good, shivery. Been like that all week but as usual I left it too late.Should have contacted doctor before the weekend but I never know what to do.you know. bothering people when I just might have a cold. Also been testing BS regularly so my fingers are sore and stiff.Does anyone know if it's ok to test on all fingers and thumbs? I inject in mr thigh for night time lantus, always at the side because I never know if there is enough fat at the front of my thigh. I use 4 mm needles. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. Loey

thetallerpaul

Its ok to test all the fingers but make sure you rotate. Don't do it in the pad of the finger I find as it hurts a lot more there afterwards. I tend to avoid my thumbs as they are more important to me than any finger. My advice would be run the hand you want to test in warm water or at least make sure its warm as doing it when cold hurts a lot more after as its hard to get the blood out. Also squeeze along your finger towards where you have pricked your finger not on all sides of it. The blood will come easier with less squeezing so less bruising and pain after the event.

I don't use lantus but I do my slow acting injections in my bum usually as there is plenty of coverage there!

5.8 this morning.

Paul

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paul1976 said:
Not too bad Nigel.I've been shown how to use the pen,change needles etc..He's trying me with Byetta as some of his LADA patients have managed to stay off insulin for quite a while(Depending on how much BETA cell production they've got left) BUT he's not entirely convinced it will be enough in my case and if my levels haven't improved enough by the 23rd may when I get reviewed he's going to start me on an insulin regime so I have to wait and see but at the very least the Byetta is giving me experience with injecting meds.

Well the 23rd of May isn't too far away Paul so if things haven't improved then insulin will be necessary. Good point about Byetta giving you some experience of injecting.

pickle76

Paul1976 said:

Hi Paul - meant to ask, are you running this high most of the time or do you get lower readings too? Was just a bit concerned that you may have developed or will develop ketones if left to run this high for a while... :?

Loey1953

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thetallerpaul said:
Its ok to test all the fingers but make sure you rotate. Don't do it in the pad of the finger I find as it hurts a lot more there afterwards. I tend to avoid my thumbs as they are more important to me than any finger. My advice would be run the hand you want to test in warm water or at least make sure its warm as doing it when cold hurts a lot more after as its hard to get the blood out. Also squeeze along your finger towards where you have pricked your finger not on all sides of it. The blood will come easier with less squeezing so less bruising and pain after the event.

I don't use lantus but I do my slow acting injections in my bum usually as there is plenty of coverage there!

5.8 this morning.

Paul

Thanks for that Paul. That's so good to know