Type 1'stars R Us

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, blood sugar ok overnight, wasn't too bad really, as the afternoon had been a bit too zigzaggy, and I thought my blood sugar would carry on the same pattern overnight, and go too high, but it didn't. I did do a small correction, and that worked, so woke on 4.9.

Just hiding from people again. I'm not enjoying the festival at all this year, it might be because it's even bigger this year, as it does seem to grow every year, it just takes up more and more space, and even places that last year were free of festival events seem to have them now.

I'm thinking that maybe next year I'll just run away in August, and go somewhere completely tourist free. Someone did suggest Burnley, as a joke, but actually it could be quite interesting. I have a rather troubling liking for faded and crumbling industrial revolution architecture.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Just out of interest, do any of you beautiful girlies use a menstrual cup for your lady days? I'm still looking into it, I heard it's better for our bodies and the environment.
Wouldn't use anything else. It's a gamechanger.

Reactions: Fairygodmother

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
University is an all-consuming beast. I'm sorry you're toughing it out. I certainly didn't enjoy every class I took, for sure I remember spending every hour of every day and night trying to solve what appeared to be unsolvable problems. I don't enjoy a lot of aspects of my work and often wish I were studying again. And living in a different country. Though when I did move away from Oxford, I missed it and moved back. For me, it's the greener grass.
Thank you, I think I've been toughing it out for too long though. I was suppose to graduate in 2016, unfortunately due to my accident and the whole mental meltdown I was partially deferred and I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted to stay at home with my parents or continue university. I did enjoy the modules I did in my first year, when second year came it was a mess, I absolutely disliked political ideologies so much. It's like Karl Marx won't leave me alone, even in my law lectures he was sneaking around under the topics of constitutional law. :hilarious: My brother at the moment is feeling a similar way, he didn't enjoy his graduate job, so he handed in his letter and moved back to London with our parents. He too, said he misses studying. I am thinking he wants a phd in something. It's kind of like everyone else is moving on but I'm still stuck here.

@Fairygodmother Morning, I've been thinking it about since 2012. I failed my alevels and decided to do another set of alevels because I didn't accept my teachers who compared me and said I couldn't achieve so and so grade. My parents didn't approve of me doing art and didn't approve me of doing anything that isn't classified as academic like make up artistry or hair dressing. After a difficult 4 years, applied for university because I wasn't expecting much but somehow a university wanted me, I was really proud to have been accepted. As naive as I was, off I went to university and I've been struggling since. (Schools and colleges didn't give anything else to research about other than pushing students to go to university. If I had more time, I would probably have picked a degree based apprenticeship)
During my time out, I did look for work. Unfortunately all the work I've looked at needed experience which I don't have or a full university degree. So it'll be me redoing alevels again, or do 3 years of a skill based qualification (both of those options need money) or continue tackling university for another year and be done. However I understand you don't need a degree to be successful. If I'm honest I don't know where to start, my life wasn't born on a silver platter like Kylie Jenner. My bf did comfort me in saying once he has found a job and has some income rolling in, he'll help me find something that I enjoy from the comfort of our home, but at the same time he wants my diabetes to be at least 60-70% well managed. As you can probably tell lack of sleep and hypos isn't a great combination for diabetes.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning.

That's all really, oh and slowly loosing faith in this technology but hey its another day in Punxsutawney. ;)
Do you think we can hire a few graduate engineers to examine the tech and see what they'll say? :hilarious:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Late edit: I meant the first solo drive to the lovely Midlands! The real first solo drive was in 1975, in Kano. No finger pickers or libres back then, just note the physical symptoms.
I’d passed the test here in the U.K. a week before we went to Kano. Two weeks after we got there I had to drive to the centre of Kano to find a pharmacy as himindoors had tonsillitis. I naively expected it to be all mirror signal manoeuvre, not donkeys going the wrong way round roundabouts and taxis going anywhere there was a space and guys on bikes carrying beds on their heads and the whole family on a small motorbike and everyone hooting. I soon learned how to drive non U.K. style. Big adjustments to make when we returned to the U.K. in 1978. I still miss the big skies and friendly life of 1970s Kano. But not the lack of viable insulin there.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Just out of interest, do any of you beautiful girlies use a menstrual cup for your lady days? I'm still looking into it, I heard it's better for our bodies and the environment.

I used to. Best investment ever! For me and the environment. Back then we called them mooncups lol.

Reactions: MeiChanski

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski it sounds as if getting to, and staying at, university, has been a big struggle, and it's extremely impressive that despite all these problems you've stayed the course.........but, if you aren't actually enjoying sociology that's an issue. I don't like political theory, I like politics. I see theory as a way of over intellectualising what are, in reality, mostly practical things. Most people just want a well run society that allows them do be reasonably happy, and do fulfilling things, they don't really need all the social engineering that comes with political theory. You do need some ethical underpinnings to political goals, but too much theory can be problematic, because no theory can predict the reality of human life.

Anyway, you know what options you have, but if you aren't enjoying it, and would rather do something more practical, then you need to think about that.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning all, I slept quite well last night, which was great.
I had a wonderful day out with family, lots of fun especially seeing my baby granddaughter try to eat stones and rolling about in the sand and getting covered in it. She is tottering about on her own now, but she couldn't understand why the floor ( sand) kept moving lol also more food ended up on the sand than in her mouth lol Weather was good until we got home, then the rain started, so that was okay.
Happy Monday guys :)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski it sounds as if getting to, and staying at, university, has been a big struggle, and it's extremely impressive that despite all these problems you've stayed the course.........but, if you aren't actually enjoying sociology that's an issue. I don't like political theory, I like politics. I see theory as a way of over intellectualising what are, in reality, mostly practical things. Most people just want a well run society that allows them do be reasonably happy, and do fulfilling things, they don't really need all the social engineering that comes with political theory. You do need some ethical underpinnings to political goals, but too much theory can be problematic, because no theory can predict the reality of human life.

Anyway, you know what options you have, but if you aren't enjoying it, and would rather do something more practical, then you need to think about that.
I think I'm not enjoying it at the moment because university has left me to do two whole modules by myself, I wasn't allowed to contact my lecturers and I only had access to online material from last year. This case would have been different if I told SFE that I wanted to repeat my year, therefore I would have access to all updated materials. I am struggling, it is like I've been dumped into the deep end of the pool and they expect me to not drown. My best friend did comment and said it's like university is setting me up to fail. However they have been understanding and generous to let me do two modules to pass instead of 8 or 9 modules, which included 9 exams and 9 essays. I thoroughly enjoyed some aspects of politics and political ideologies, some times the text is too difficult to understand the message they are trying to convey. You don't know how many times I've cursed at Karl Marx, Spinoza, Aristotle etc. :hilarious: Once I understand it, it's smooth sailing but until I get to that point, I'm having self doubt.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'm not enjoying it at the moment because university has left me to do two whole modules by myself, I wasn't allowed to contact my lecturers and I only had access to online material from last year. This case would have been different if I told SFE that I wanted to repeat my year, therefore I would have access to all updated materials. I am struggling, it is like I've been dumped into the deep end of the pool and they expect me to not drown. My best friend did comment and said it's like university is setting me up to fail. However they have been understanding and generous to let me do two modules to pass instead of 8 or 9 modules, which included 9 exams and 9 essays. I thoroughly enjoyed some aspects of politics and political ideologies, some times the text is too difficult to understand the message they are trying to convey. You don't know how many times I've cursed at Karl Marx, Spinoza, Aristotle etc. :hilarious: Once I understand it, it's smooth sailing but until I get to that point, I'm having self doubt.

You're nearly there, and have got this far, with a lot of things causing problems. In most jobs you don't have to struggle with the theories of Aristotle, so it won't be the same, and your ability to carry on despite so many things getting in the way would suggest you would be a very good employee for the right company.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski I had a very complex path through my degree, and about the only consolation I have about it all is that subsequent students benefited from what the uni learned!

Once I found my real tribe in education, I flourished!. But, it took about 20 years to get there... I always knew I was best suited to special needs and older ones all along, not mainstream primary as I was pushed towards, but back in the day you had to prove you could do mainstream before doing further qualifications in special needs. And, interestingly, I found all I learned about teaching in mainstream primary has been very useful in my support role with my older ones with their amazing array of educational needs and disabilities.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're nearly there, and have got this far, with a lot of things causing problems. In most jobs you don't have to struggle with the theories of Aristotle, so it won't be the same, and your ability to carry on despite so many things getting in the way would suggest you would be a very good employee for the right company.

Thank you for your kind words. My brother and my bf said everything they learned from their degrees didn’t apply to their jobs. Are you cutting up onions? You are making my eyes flood with tears.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@MeiChanski - the way you’re persevering with this is actually quite awe-inspiring. I hadn’t realised quite how many obstacles you’ve overcome to have got this far. Keep on keeping on, my friend ❤️

Not much to report here, BG is mostly behaving unless I get the carb count wrong or a HORMONE. Elvis isn’t as good at hormones as I’d like. Hey ho. Going on CFR call this afternoon, so currently drinking coffee, being shouted at by cats, and catching up here. Digestive distress seems to have gone, and I’ve got a lump of hot smoked salmon to have for breakfast/lunch.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, like everyone says, don’t see this latest setback as a reason to trash your worth @MeiChanski! I fell into what I ended up doing for most of my working life - teaching over 16s - when I arrived in Kano with a degree in English and History and was offered three jobs before I’d even gone looking for them! My UCAS application was a joke, English and History, Drama, Art, English and Drama . . . If I’d ever p

Reactions: MeiChanski

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Oops, fat finger. If I’d ever picked up proper maths skills in the trek through 6 primary schools I’d really have wanted to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Art for A Level.
However, I really really enjoyed teaching adults on the Access to HE course. And continued painting etc. It doesn’t always fall out that what we think we end up with happens because we planned it that way.
So don’t despair.

Reactions: hh1 and Alison54321

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Just got my latest HbA1c in. 5.7%. I'm over the moon. I'm in the normal range. Hip, hip hooray. I can't even remember when I started insulin. I posted somewhere here it was the 12th of June. But it was more like the 23rd of June, as I remember having just under two weeks of work left to cope with on the new scary insulin regime. It should have been memorable, but it's all been a blur. My HbA1c been as high as 11.3%.
I only wish this meant I had reversed my diabetes. That was my dream before these antibody blighters were found.

Edit. For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c level is between 4% and 5.6%. OK. Not quite normal, but better than I have been.

Last edited:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I thinkthe old idea of job for life is gone. A job for right now is better, and when something else calls - move along the bus. You can retrain, whatever.

I started out as a nurse, moved over to become a paralegal, then went into Trust admin and finally ended up retraining as a book keeper. Oddly I now have a job that combines the last three and is hugely interesting.