Type 1'stars R Us

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, hi @Manfer87. @ert I sympathise with the puppy destruction, haven't lost anything here yet but we're having a running battle over the boot rack. I refuse to take everything off it as I think she needs to learn to leave it alone. Be interesting to see who's most persistent! She's growing taller so fast that I do have concerns about when she can reach the kitchen counter....and the dining table....and a hundred other things. It's a price worth paying if she turns out like our other dogs.

@Robinredbreast hope you feel more comfortable soon and that the injections have worked well

@Antje77 I agree with everyone else, go back to Abbott. If they won't accept readings from a phone, why do they have any app you can use on a phone? Are they saying it's unreliable, 'cos if so, they shouldn't be marketing it.

Reactions: Manfer87

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I agree with everyone else, go back to Abbott. If they won't accept readings from a phone, why do they have any app you can use on a phone? Are they saying it's unreliable, 'cos if so, they shouldn't be marketing it.
No, they accept readings from the phone but they only accept blood test from the reader and not from any other meter. Never mind that meter is the one prescribed by my doctor and used by thousands of people to save their lives on a daily base. Never mind either that the results from that meter nicely align with hospital tests and hba1c. Idiots.
Working up courage to call them as I type. If they won't accept I know I'll be so frustrated and angry with them, this whole diabetes thing and everything else in the world it would likely ruin most of my day.
But now I'll give myself a kick up the backside and call them!

Reactions: porl69

Manfer87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, hi @Manfer87. @ert I sympathise with the puppy destruction, haven't lost anything here yet but we're having a running battle over the boot rack. I refuse to take everything off it as I think she needs to learn to leave it alone. Be interesting to see who's most persistent! She's growing taller so fast that I do have concerns about when she can reach the kitchen counter....and the dining table....and a hundred other things. It's a price worth paying if she turns out like our other dogs.

@Robinredbreast hope you feel more comfortable soon and that the injections have worked well

Ohh yes @hh1 it'll be a different game once she is at food stealing height!
I wish you luck on the boot rack battle :wacky:

Reactions: porl69

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
they only accept blood test from the reader and not from any other meter

I'm sure the UK based support use to accept BG results from other meters but that was a long time ago - however every BG meter has to comply to a certain international standards which their meters also/should comply with. you could say are they saying their meters don't comply then? :rolleyes: You could ask them if they won't accept results from your non Abbott meter for them to send you one that they will accept.........

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lost connection. Trying to find the same employee again now...
(don't you all love a good cliffhanger :p )

Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What a morning !! Walked down to Boots to get my repeat script, eventually received it, but no Libre sensor in there, so I was not to pleased.
Only one young lad at the counter and he said he would have a word with the pharmacist but she was doing a consultation, so I left and went back, young lad said it can'r be done as an emergency and he will contact my surgery for a Libre script, when they open at 1.30 !! and he will then phone me ( he says). So Sensor runs out in a few hours and lord only knows if or when I will get it.
I really don't want to walk down there again, back is still painful, so I am a bit stuck, but I do have a couple of glucose monitor machines I can use in the mean time.
I walked out and said,' *****-** pharmacy' also, an elderly lady in front of me was not happy either, as she was alerted by text that her script was ready ( same as me) but no it wasn't, as the young lad had to find the items and put them in the box and as pharmacist was with a patient, he asked the lady if she could come back later, she said no, as she is going home to bed and will have send her husband back later on !! Grrrrrr

(edited by mod for language)

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
What a morning !! Walked down to Boots to get my repeat script, eventually received it, but no Libre sensor in there, so I was not to pleased.
Only one young lad at the counter and he said he would have a word with the pharmacist but she was doing a consultation, so I left and went back, young lad said it can'r be done as an emergency and he will contact my surgery for a Libre script, when they open at 1.30 !! and he will then phone me ( he says). So Sensor runs out in a few hours and lord only knows if or when I will get it.
I really don't want to walk down there again, back is still painful, so I am a bit stuck, but I do have a couple of glucose monitor machines I can use in the mean time.
I walked out and said,' *****-** pharmacy' also, an elderly lady in front of me was not happy either, as she was alerted by text that her script was ready ( same as me) but no it wasn't, as the young lad had to find the items and put them in the box and as pharmacist was with a patient, he asked the lady if she could come back later, she said no, as she is going home to bed and will have send her husband back later on !! Grrrrrr

I have been asterisked and the word in question is what comes out of our fingers when we prick them to test blood glucose ! but changed the y for a double ee.
Roll on tomorrow...................

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got an email back from student union for the appeals procedure. They asked a very important and valid question which was am I unfit to study or am I interested in studying? I had a talk with my bf, he didn't sugar coat anything and he was being very very honest with me and said I should let uni go. He said according to uni they see me as the "cannot be bothered" type of student and wasting their time. My bf said not much has changed with my health and it is going to happen again and again. I am very upset because nothing is working out for me. In the end my bf said he can't help me.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Morning friends, I feel my livelihood has been sucked out of me. I was fighting hypos yesterday for 4-5hours, so I had a late snooze. 5hours sleep feels like I didn’t sleep at all. 9.4 on waking doesn’t seem all too bad, :)
I told my mummy last night that diabetes isn’t going so well along with uni so I’m not going back just yet. I have appointments from September to November for just diabetes. So I reassured my mummy that my bf is indeed looking after me and on standby when hypos are happening.
I got an email back from student union for the appeals procedure. They asked a very important and valid question which was am I unfit to study or am I interested in studying? I had a talk with my bf, he didn't sugar coat anything and he was being very very honest with me and said I should let uni go. He said according to uni they see me as the "cannot be bothered" type of student and wasting their time. My bf said not much has changed with my health and it is going to happen again and again. I am very upset because nothing is working out for me. In the end my bf said he can't help me.

lots of hugs!!!!! I’m not surprised your bloods have been all over the place recently, they do that to me in times of stress too.
Maybe you’ll not regret ditching uni in the long run, we really can’t know what’s up ahead when we’re stuck in the centre of a maelstrom. But . . Do you want to ditch it?
I hope the appointments you have will help with the diademon, and that one day you’ll be able to look back at this time from a much happier situation.
Do you agree with your bf? What would you really like to do?

Reactions: MeiChanski

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Sounds to me more like a clerical error at the surgery..? (With your Libre.)

Hope you get it sorted out soon..

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sending love and hugs xx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi. I feel for you regarding your future plans & aspirations..

Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made & you have to do what is right for you..
I let someone go a long time ago, to go to college.. Neither of us were in a financial position to to live "happy ever after."
I'm talking about a practically & removing one's self from a "rut."

I'll be honest with you. I hear a "holdback" from your fella. But it's not his fault. He basically can't help. (Fresh out of ideas.)

Good relationships are about mutual respect & mutual development..

The "magic" in the "fairy tale" is where the protagonists enhance eachother.. No matter what.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good evening all.
One of those diabetes days when little bits of the jigsaw all fall into place.
One of those days when you find answers to those doubts you have.
A day when realisation kicks in.
The injustice of being a type 1 diabetic.
But hey life goes on, we keep smiling, keep living with our condition and not letting outside influences get us down.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Fairygodmother I don't necessarily agree with him, my depressed self didn't like anything he said but I know he is right somewhere. I don't want to ditch university, but if university, my bf and my family don't believe in me that I can do it then I have to let go. I don't want to let go until I know there's something for me and I'm not going to be sitting here for another christmas where I can't buy anyone gifts or sucking my bf's bank account dry. But then again I can't afford another christmas because I'd be studying but I know there's something I can do in the mean time and not sitting here going full coach potato eating my weight in crisps. Before the storm of pushing students to do alevels and going to university, I'd like to do something in hairdressing/styling, makeup artistry, digital art or skincare. But I don't suppose I can fit in with 16 years old doing a level 1 NVQ? I've been looking at apprenticeships and there is no choice but to start at level 1 and spend 3 years getting level 3 NVQ qualification to go into that industry.
@helensaramay I cannot think of anything else to do for diabetes, as you and I know it is unpredictable and anything makes diabetes grumpy. I don't know what to say to my dsn on monday, "put me in a mental health ward because I think I'm a danger to myself and everyone around me?" Despite diabetes is being okay with a libre in place, my bf doesn't think thats enough to warrant another repeat year because hypos and hypers are going to happen either way. So nothing has changed. In an ideal world, I'd like to do something in the beauty industry, not fashion, possibly make up or skin care. Social media related? Youtube videos? I was thinking of doing something from home, but I'm camera shy. I did do the introvert and extrovert tests to see what careers are available to me, but I'm omnivert/ ambiverts and the jobs did seem appealing like psychologist or therapist or management/sales, I do like to work for a beauty brand. I also thoroughly enjoyed criminology, like classicism vs positivism, are we a born criminal or did society/environment influenced our behavioural choices? But I don't know if I can work with children with behavioural issues. I'm shy, a chicken and not very talkative until I feel comfortable.
@Jaylee Thank you, I know he can't help me and I have to help myself. But I was very upset and I understood everything he said. It wasn't nice but someone had to say it. I am hopeful to find something that I enjoy and possibly give a more positive outlook on life then I could possibly let go of university and forget about it.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
But I don't suppose I can fit in with 16 years old doing a level 1 NVQ?
Why not? I’m studying with people of 18 and I’m 45...
I cannot think of anything else to do for diabetes, as you and I know it is unpredictable and anything makes diabetes grumpy.
might it be worth looking at the types of foods you’re eating? Many T1s can do the whole “eat what you want and bolus for it” very successfully, but some can’t make that work. I can’t.

And people who love you don’t care about expensive gifts.

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@MeiChanski - don't worry about what the 16-year olds or whatever think. It's your life. They can get on with their own.

If your dream means doing another style of qualification, just do it. We only pass this way once, and this is no dress rehearsal. If you find you miss the intellectual challenge of Uni, you can do some reading, or research into something you choose, rather than something imposed, or alternatively just invest in clearing your head space for a while.

Reactions: karen8967