Type 1'stars R Us

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Chris85, those blood sugars must be making you feel physically wretched, commiserations. I’ve always found that I need a sliding scale of correction doses, the higher the BG, the bigger the dose. I’ll try and root out the info we were given at the Dafne course a few years ago and post it on here. I’ve also always found that if I eat when I’m high then my BG will stay high, even if I’ve added extra insulin to the calculated meal dose. Ideally I need to wait until I’m between 5 and 6 before I eat.
Are you in the UK? Have you seen your DSN or Consultant about this? If you are then sounds as though you’d qualify for a Libre and a Dafne course.
yeah im in the uk iv not spoken to a DSN or anybody in nearly two years but i have an appointment next month now at the hospital. when i was in hospital there was talk of the dafne coarse which i have turned down 4 times already dont feel im worth it and there was talk of a possibly a libra based on test results

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah im in the uk iv not spoken to a DSN or anybody in nearly two years but i have an appointment next month now at the hospital. when i was in hospital there was talk of the dafne coarse which i have turned down 4 times already dont feel im worth it and there was talk of a possibly a libra based on test results
Were all worth it chris85 the dafne will do you the world of good it will help you with dosing and the libre although not always reliable it does show you graphs of what direction bgs are heading it will take time but you will get there

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think DAFNE is very much worth it! Not available in my country, but from what I've heard it sounds like a great opportunity to learn more. Afterwards it's up to you if you want to follow what they've taught you, but at least it's an informed choice.

I can't think of any reason why a diabetic wouldn't be worthy of a DAFNE course, it's not like you chose to have a stupid condition, right. Doing a course in no way means you have to promise to be the perfect diabetic or such, it just gives you more tools to use if you so choose.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mrs Molly helloooooooo to you and Mr Clive

Now you mention Galaxy come to think of it very very naughty for us type 1s and you do know I’m a tad naughty once in a while (tee hee hee)

Another thought is when we went to see the puppies there were 3 and the breeder had named them (just in her head to tell them apart) after chocolates Wispa, Minstrel & Galaxy

Here they are:

View attachment 37958

minstrel was the Black and Tan

View attachment 37959

Galaxy left, Wispa right red collar

By any chance are you willing to adopt me into your family? I want to hug all of them!

Reactions: Cumberland

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

A lot of people would kill to get onto the DAFNE course because there’s a long waiting list for it. I think it goes on 2-4 times a year. I know my carb counting course in this area is done twice a year. DAFNE would really help you to get those numbers down and adjust your insulin for every meal, activity, illnesses, etc. It’s best to stay in contact with your team, they can help you if they know more about you. Libre would be beneficial in understanding what is happening between meals and throughout the day. Even better for DAFNE!

Reactions: Cumberland

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think DAFNE is very much worth it! Not available in my country, but from what I've heard it sounds like a great opportunity to learn more. Afterwards it's up to you if you want to follow what they've taught you, but at least it's an informed choice.

I can't think of any reason why a diabetic wouldn't be worthy of a DAFNE course, it's not like you chose to have a stupid condition, right. Doing a course in no way means you have to promise to be the perfect diabetic or such, it just gives you more tools to use if you so choose.
The thing with carb counting is im absolutley poo at maths. Oh and do you mind me asking where in the netherlands do you live i have a friend over there

Reactions: Antje77

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Of course you’re ‘worth’ it, and it might make all the difference. Highs have a very nasty effect on mood, as does the feeling that we aren’t in control (and if we’re honest we can all be hit by the surprise *** results). I’m stunned by the way such a tiny amount of visible substance can have such a huge effect! I’m also stunned by the way most people, the beta normal ones, have endocrine systems that fine tune it so well. The body is an incredible machine.
It seems that you’re often high in the mornings, maybe your nurse will do an insulin review if you ask for one.

Reactions: porl69 and Antje77

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing with carb counting is im absolutley poo at maths. Oh and do you mind me asking where in the netherlands do you live i have a friend over there

You don’t need to be good at maths, I was only average when I did GCSE mathematics. You can work out calculations, make a note of it in an index book marked A-Z, for example 100g of rice is 30g carbs. Then each time you eat rice, you weigh it and flick through your references and viola, it’s there. If you eat 350g of rice, your reference of 100g is there.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have a partner, friends or family, they can help you too. My bf has upgraded to be my human calculator, he has worked out how many vials of insulin I need per month and yesterday night, he worked out how many carbs are in one haribo strawberry so I can put a precise carb amount on my pump. Not all hope is lost, you’ll always have someone who is a maths wizard.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
@Chris85, if you really are poo at maths then a decent leader on the Dafne course, or one of the other T1s on the course, might give/make you a chart of calculations based on the carb/insulin ratio you’re given. Personally I take 1 unit of insulin for 10g of carb, which is luckily easy to calculate. Except lunchtime, when I need an extra one or two units of insulin. I remember that there were practise sessions on calculating dose for carb.
Lots of blood sugars you showed us were good by the way.

Reactions: porl69

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have a partner, friends or family, they can help you too. My bf has upgraded to be my human calculator, he has worked out how many vials of insulin I need per month and yesterday night, he worked out how many carbs are in one haribo strawberry so I can put a precise carb amount on my pump. Not all hope is lost, you’ll always have someone who is a maths wizard.
nope im alone all the time

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well just checked again 15.4 mmo/ls now. 26 units for 40g of carbs *** thats what makes me want to stop checking and just carry on till i die or just keep crying randomly like i do any way sorry i know im to soft

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'm getting so sick of this my bg before evening meal was 16.7 mmo/l so i took 20 units off novorapid 2 hours after i'm at 22.1 mmo/l 0.0 ketones i'm getting so frustrated with this why do i even bother trying it never works

T1 is like good comedy. Timing. (Drum roll.)

have a look at your BGs two or three hours after injecting?
I have no idea what you had for evening meal. (The meter is youre friend.) but sometimes it may require dosing a lot earlier for the insulin profile to compliment digestion & metabolism pluss what's bunged into the system to sustain.
We have different metabolisms. Unfortunatly, the insulin profile on "paper" doesn't account for the indevidual...

DAFNE; learn the basics. Maffs?! What's dat? Oh, hello, there's calculators on most devises I use these days..

Empower yourself your way. The only person you need to impress is you. ;)

It's early daze. Take you time.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was this chart that helped some people and it’s fairly accurate according to my dietitian.
IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, my meals are roughly divided from very low carb to very high carb, and I dose based on that instead of exact carb count. I do check all packages and lots of unlabeled fresh food though, so I'm very aware of if I choose highish or lowish carb food. Very little maths involved.
A big improvement for me was when I found out I need way more insulin for the same carbs in the morning than I do in the evening.
What also helped was changing my diary from the way you note it to using grid paper with the hours of the day on the top row and using the columns to note glucose level, insulin dose, exercise, and food (I simply wrote roughly what foods I had, not the carbs, which would be even neater). This enabled me to see correlations in the blink of an eye instead of looking back and forth and having to guess at what time I did what.

I live in Friesland, way up north and close to he Waddenzee :) . Where does your friend live?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

chris85 type 1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me, my meals are roughly divided from very low carb to very high carb, and I dose based on that instead of exact carb count. I do check all packages and lots of unlabeled fresh food though, so I'm very aware of if I choose highish or lowish carb food. Very little maths involved.
A big improvement for me was when I found out I need way more insulin for the same carbs in the morning than I do in the evening.
What also helped was changing my diary from the way you note it to using grid paper with the hours of the day on the top row and using the columns to note glucose level, insulin dose, exercise, and food (I simply wrote roughly what foods I had, not the carbs, which would be even neater). This enabled me to see correlations in the blink of an eye instead of looking back and forth and having to guess at what time I did what.

I live in Friesland, way up north and close to he Waddenzee :) . Where does your friend live?
i cant remeber exactly where but its somewhere near arnhem

Reactions: Jaylee and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
(your post 1 hour 15 minutes ago):
i'm getting so sick of this my bg before evening meal was 16.7 mmo/l so i took 20 units off novorapid 2 hours after i'm at 22.1 mmo/l 0.0 ketones i'm getting so frustrated with this why do i even bother trying it never works
(your post just now):
well just checked again 15.4 mmo/ls now. 26 units for 40g of carbs *** thats what makes me want to stop checking and just carry on till i die or just keep crying randomly like i do any way sorry i know im to soft
So you dropped from 22 to 15 in a bit over an hour. Sounds good to me!

Reactions: Marie 2 and porl69