Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hba1c I kinda get. But why the rest?

Diagnosed on new years, so its been a massive change with health, definitely headaches, having a bottomless pit
And other things lol.

Atm I'm trying to just immerse myself in to gaming and binge on Netflix.

I don't know too much going on.
But today is going ok.

Because Diabetes can affect your other bodily functions.

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because Diabetes can affect your other bodily functions.
When you say that, do you mean if one neglects themself by disregarding their diabetes care to the point it will happen

Or is there just a random chance it will happen when ever it wants to, Like being diagnosed with T1 Out of nowhere?

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say that, do you mean if one neglects themself by disregarding their diabetes care to the point it will happen

Or is there just a random chance it will happen when ever it wants to, Like being diagnosed with T1 Out of nowhere?
There are known likely consequences of running high bg. The ones most often quoted are kidney failure, retinopathy (can lead to blindness) and neuropathy, most common in feet (nerve damage which can result in pain). Now that I've scared you to death, not everyone with poor control gets these things and the majority of people with good control can stave them off for decades and some people for ever. One of the good things about T1 is the fact that we do get regular checks of all sorts of things. And good control is really a three-fold thing: control of bg, blood pressure and cholesterol, though obviously bg is primary.

Hope that helps, don't fear those things, use them as a reason to look after your diabetes. I know, easier said than done...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

First of all, rollercoaster blood sugars happen in many people who try very very hard and definitely don't neglect themselves. Please don't suggest to anyone with horrible diabetic complications it's their own fault for not looking after themselves.
I'm one of the lucky ones so far in that I can keep my numbers more stable than many, but I don't think that is because those others are neglecting themselves or not trying hard enough.
For some, diabetes simply behaves unpredictable and ridiculous, others may experience burn-out, depression, a busy family and work, some may live in the USA and can't make enough money to obtain enough insulin. I wouldn't call any of those circumstances neglecting yourself.

As for your question, I don't think there are sound statistics over multiple decades to prove or disprove high blood sugars are the only cause of complications. Those complications usually only show after a couple of decades.
To know how stable somebody's blood sugars have been over say, 40 years, you'd need CGM data over that time, which doesn't exist.
To provide trustworthy statistics you'd need those data over decades from a very large group of people, a substantial part of which has to be very well controlled, or you wouldn't be able to proof either way.

We can only work with what we know now. That is:
- High blood sugar definitely causes damage.
- Statistically, diabetics are more likely than non-diabetics to develop complications associated with diabetes that non diabetics.
- Low blood sugar is dangerous.

Personally, I prefer to believe keeping my bg in range most of the time will protect me from complications. I'm sure keeping healthy levels vastly improves your chances on not developing diabetic complications.
But I may live to a 100 without problems and still not prove anything, as I'm only one person.

As long as statistics say I'm at risk because I have diabetes, I'm happy to have my kidneys, feet and eyes checked occasionally, however low risk I think I am.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

No, high BG does have an impact on your other bodily functions, so it’s best to have routine checks. Unfortunately there are some type 1s with good management have got the full mother load of complications (not through neglect), so try your best to look after yourself. High BG will do damage and DKA isn’t very nice, low BG is not good either - death or memory loss/ brain damage. But whether we’ll be complication free with good hba1cs and good BG levels, we’ll never know. Id like to think we’ll be healthy and living our best lives but we’ll never know.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately there are some type 1s with good management have got the full mother load of complications
I have tried finding information about that but I couldn't find it. It also depends on the definition of good control.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
No, high BG does have an impact on your other bodily functions, so it’s best to have routine checks. Unfortunately there are some type 1s with good management have got the full mother load of complications (not through neglect), so try your best to look after yourself. High BG will do damage and DKA isn’t very nice, low BG is not good either - death or memory loss/ brain damage. But whether we’ll be complication free with good hba1cs and good BG levels, we’ll never know. Id like to think we’ll be healthy and living our best lives but we’ll never know.
I figure that with non-diabetic BG levels, I won’t get the complications that come with high ones. In fact I’ve had some of the damage from the last two decades of terrible management heal since I got to grips with it.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know since I came to terms with it and started managing okay, my infections healed better and I was able to get surgery at 18. I also know that we could all have similar hba1cs but some of us are spiking and going low all over the place. High BG will make things worse but I don’t know what is the likelihood of us getting complications with good results, TIR and hba1cs, reckon it’s genetics or pure pot luck? I think I remembered reading something about genetics playing a role in complications. I could be wrong though

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
3.6! You can't trust that Johnnie Walker chap, he's run off with my hypo awareness again.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t mean to scare anyone, again Id like think we all gonna be happy healthy potatoes from now and in future. Yall gonna be there when I get married and have mini me running around

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m not running non diabetic levels but my TIR is good and I’m feeling better and I have more focus and energy to do adult stuff. I’m excited about the new medtronic 780G and a lower BG target on it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
3.6! You can't trust that Johnnie Walker chap, he's run off with my hypo awareness again.

To be fair. If your detecting it @ that level after a few wee drams...? I'll raise a glass to you.
So long as yer capable of still treating it..

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Razzamuffin You need to find what works for you, if you are hungry all the time it could go back to the too high insulin dose, which will make you hungry when you are low, because you are trying to eat to your insulin dose.. But you will also get false hypo feelings if you were high for a while, your body will not be used to the lower normal range and you will feel hungry.

I eat when I'm hungry and I pretty much eat what I want as long as it's vegan for me. I will not eat if it's later at night usually, although if I'm really hungry I will. I also almost always prebolus, so I do delay eating a lot.

I am not trying to lose weight. But if I was trying to lose I suppose I could understand putting up with being hungry, but otherwise you shouldn't have to feel hungry all the time. My A1C is 32 so I am doing something right!!!!!! I am used to being a type 1, although I get mad at it sometimes, and it can be exasperating to deal with at times.

Part of the headaches etc can maybe just be dealing with something you are not used to dealing with yet, and being in the honeymoon period and the irregularities of it. Blurs and flashes of colors in my eyes are a sign of a hypo for me. One of the first things I see when I get at a certain level.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hopefully looking forward to getting some sleep tonight. My dog kept trying to hypo and it was a wait and see after giving her glucose syrup if she would stabilize, but I had to give it to her quite a few times. Her numbers would start to go up and look stable and then start to crash again. I didn't go to bed until after 4 in the morning.

It turns out when my hubby went to fix her her breakfast this morning he had forgotten a half can of her food last night..............................sigh that explains it. At least I know why she was so bad.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Erm, I don't want to be a killjoy but diabetics usually have their blood taken every 3 to 6 months...
At the least they'll check hba1c and kidney function, often tests for cholesterol, vitamin D and B, thyroid or liver function are included as well.
Sorry.

Yearly for me in the UK

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
To be fair. If your detecting it @ that level after a few wee drams...? I'll raise a glass to you.
So long as yer capable of still treating it..

Not exactly J, it was a routine check before bedtime and I hadn't realised I was hypo.

It surprised me because we'd had pizza for supper and I'd expected to need a couple of units to top up and not to be necking carbs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marie 2