Type 1'stars R Us

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

I’m exhausted as usual, from what I’ve been told, I won’t get paid 80% of my wages if I decide to isolate at home. I’ll get the basic SSP which is eh. So I’m still working atm. I have been placed on a different floor today and the dementia is quite bad - a resident who doesn’t speak coherently but only mutters under her breath got a grip of my arm and shook me very aggressively to say she wants her bag of sweets. She then shook the bag of sweets to say she wanted it opened. Because she couldn’t feed herself properly and being unaware of her capabilities (it’s my first time working on that floor so I don’t know any of the residents well), she almost bit my finger off (she only bit my rubber glove). My work colleague then told me that when she shakes you, it’s her way of telling me she wants something. She may be old but gosh she gripped onto me very tightly. Unfortunately one of the other residents is dying, it’s my first time meeting her but my work colleague said she is giving up. Her husband lives across the hall from her and it is quite heart wrenching to watch because their daughter died last week.

On a happier note, I’m having a virtual birthday celebration this week. I guess no takeaways because nowhere is opened but I’m thinking we can low key order a day early or just whip my bf to cook. Diabetes still hypoing with work but I’ll speak with my nurse this week to hopefully solve my carb ratios or AIT.

So yes, eventful day.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi @Fairygodmother ,

Where is the leak coming from? Under the machine or from the back?

Edit; is the machine draining properly?
I think it’s the connection between the washing machine and the hose. However it could be the drainage hose connection. Or a split hose, but it’s only two years old. Sounds a simple one to me, just check and get new hose/connectors, or the lovely secure tape. But, there’s a heavy tumble dryer on top of it, it’s in a tight space that makes access to the back of it impossible, and to make it harder, the washing machine’s in the Midlands and I’m in Kent. Gotta laugh.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I still have my eye laser treatment tomorrow at the hospital, so it hasn't been cancelled, unless I am feeling ill, with COVID symptoms, then not to go. So I think I will walk there and back, 40 minutes each way, so good exercise and weather should be nice again too. Must remember to wear sunglasses.

I have a dilemma, my daughter doesn't want me to go for the laser treatment at hospital, she's worried about me being in contact with other people, she saying i have to be careful and two patients ( that I know of) have died from the Coronavirus.
What to do ?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You'd maybe be able to order it online for delivery as hardware stores 'appear' to be exempt from closing for now.

Thanks Kev, I did have a look online, but the VAT and post cost really put the cost up, but, I will still have a think about it.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Robinredbreast. It seems like hospitals and doctors are a more worrisome area. A girlfriends husband last Tues was supposed to have knee surgery that was canceled the Friday before because they got their first covid case at the hospital. I just got a notice that all elective surgeries, procedures and routine visits are canceled and we only have 3 cases on our island and they are in self isolation at residences right now doing okay.

My doctors have all switched to doing telephone appointments if needed. I had 2 routine appointments coming up with my GP and Endo but I am doing very good with my Bg's and since I would have to have blood work for them to look at it seems pointless to have even a telephone appointment with them as I don't really want to go near a lab to have blood drawn either. They both know my history of doing well with my bloodwork and BG numbers so it's not a big deal.

So I sent an e-mail for a script for a basal long acting insulin to be mailed to me in case my pump fails as I always thought I could just run in and pick up one at the pharmacy if ever needed. But I don't want to go near a pharmacy either if I can help it now so.......get it mailed so I have it on hand.

Some US areas are starting to get hit hard. With New York being really bad. People are packed in a relatively small area in high rises so unfortunately it makes sense. Plus (stupid) New Yorkers even though they were told to stay home were still crowding onto streets a few days ago (and probably still are) and weren't listening or taking it seriously. Los Angeles has a higher population but it's spread out more.

Reactions: kev-w and hh1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Robinredbreast. It seems like hospitals and doctors are a more worrisome area. A girlfriends husband last Tues was supposed to have knee surgery that was canceled the Friday before because they got their first covid case at the hospital. I just got a notice that all elective surgeries, procedures and routine visits are canceled and we only have 3 cases on our island and they are in self isolation at residences right now doing okay.

My doctors have all switched to doing telephone appointments if needed. I had 2 routine appointments coming up with my GP and Endo but I am doing very good with my Bg's and since I would have to have blood work for them to look at it seems pointless to have even a telephone appointment with them as I don't really want to go near a lab to have blood drawn either. They both know my history of doing well with my bloodwork and BG numbers so it's not a big deal.

So I sent an e-mail for a script for a basal long acting insulin to be mailed to me in case my pump fails as I always thought I could just run in and pick up one at the pharmacy if ever needed. But I don't want to go near a pharmacy either if I can help it now so.......get it mailed so I have it on hand.

Some US areas are starting to get hit hard. With New York being really bad. People are packed in a relatively small area in high rises so unfortunately it makes sense. Plus (stupid) New Yorkers even though they were told to stay home were still crowding onto streets a few days ago (and probably still are) and weren't listening or taking it seriously. Los Angeles has a higher population but it's spread out more.

Thank you Marie, I made up my mind and tried to send an email to cancel the appointment during the night, actually twice, but both messages were rejected :wideyed: I will call as soon as the department @ opens at 8.30am.

My prescription is at my pharmacy and I can go and collect it, so I will do it tomorrow, but at a distance, nothing else I can do at the moment.
Take good care and stay safe :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Thank you Marie, I made up my mind and tried to send an email to cancel the appointment during the night, actually twice, but both messages were rejected :wideyed: I will call as soon as the department @ opens at 8.30am.

My prescription is at my pharmacy and I can go and collect it, so I will do it tomorrow, but at a distance, nothing else I can do at the moment.
Morning! Today’s positive news-the sun is out again.
Brilliant sun here too @becca59 Another day in the garden

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mornin’ all, lovely sun here too. Woken by birdsong, but there was also a light frost. Glad the seed pots are on the window sills for now.
I’m wishing I’d got a couple of small fruit trees or bushes to replace the self/bird sown cherry plums that came down in the high wind. Ah well, maybe the birds will donate another surprise.
6.1 on waking, not too bad for the 13 days out of the fridge Levemir. New cartridge day today.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning, I awoke on a 5.3 this morning and very :happy:
It was a frosty start this morning and with beautiful sunshine pouring through the window, definitely back garden time today, but with no fence painting :happy:
Stay safe and take good care x

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, not such a good start here, loads of exercise yesterday as I cut all my too-long grass (and there's a lot of it)did some other gardening and walked the dog. Was low at bedtime so ate a biscuit which resulted ina steady rise all through the night till woke on a 12 and rising. Had breakfast, waiting for it to come down, but have an upset stomach as well. Don't know why unless I poisoned myself with my own cooking last night .....

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning y'all, 4.8 waking and good overnight which is good as I've some plastering to crack on with, I've a few aches from cycling but plan an hour out on the push rod this aft, I found an old 'call of duty' pc game and installed it but I'm pretty useless at gameplay with a mouse and keyboard (and no better with a joystick) so I'm bored of that already :p

I'm seeing lots of photos of people gathering here and there and saw bigger groups yesterday than I'd have expected but as yet there's no cure for stupidity, I had a couple Facebook of pm's criticising my cycle ride too....

Razzamuffin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Virus has spread to my area and idiots won't stop panic buying, my local supermarket desperately needs staff to get them shelves filled and I don't fancy staying at home waiting for the virus to come to my door and I dont want to live with a regret of not doing my part when I Could be out there helping. End of the day I'm fully healthy despite being diabetic and I have brought my sugar levels to absolute perfection.

I dont have the luxury to sit here be depressed and complain how life is unfair either.

I struggled and suffered hell to keep my sugarlevels to 7.5 which is basically impossible to get any lower no matter how much i try, which means only one thing

To get active, lose some weight. At the same time...get people some toilet roll....no pun intended (LOL)

Stay safe people, try not to panic.

Might start working tonight or tomorrow night.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke to a 9 here, fasting levels are a bit all over the place at the moment thanks to a breastfeeding baby who SOMETIMES sleeps through. Really difficult to get it right when you don’t know if you’ll be up at 2am with someone stealing your sugar or not. Would love to get a 5 badge again, used to have one most days.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Robin, if it helps, I had to pick up my thyroid meds yesterday. I decided to go around 16:30, figuring that with the sun going down. anyone out for a stroll might have headed home by then, plus those preparing evening meals might be indoors.

I was the only person in the pharmacy (which is within a busy practise), so my guess worked well for me.

Were you able to reschedule your lasering? With your concerns they may be able to see you as first patient of the day? I imagine the medics and support staff will be taking what steps they can to safeguard everyone. Horrid conundrum though.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think it’s the connection between the washing machine and the hose. However it could be the drainage hose connection. Or a split hose, but it’s only two years old. Sounds a simple one to me, just check and get new hose/connectors, or the lovely secure tape. But, there’s a heavy tumble dryer on top of it, it’s in a tight space that makes access to the back of it impossible, and to make it harder, the washing machine’s in the Midlands and I’m in Kent. Gotta laugh.

You kind of lost me with your geographic location. :) Do you live in a "hard water" area?
is this a constant leak or only whilst the machine is running a cycle?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
You kind of lost me with your geographic location. :) Do you live in a "hard water" area?
is this a constant leak or only whilst the machine is running a cycle?
It’s only on the running cycle. Good news though, a plumber’s booked to call and fix it this afternoon so keeping my fingers crossed. Thought one was coming yesterday but he/she was detained by other jobs. Machine will be washed in soapy water a second time in prep: the cleanest washing machine on the planet. I’ll let you know the diagnosis, the cause and the prescription when it’s all done. I reckon it’s probably the connection to the outlet hose. You?