Type 1'stars R Us

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
happy birthday @kev-w hope you are having a good day

I was diagnosed in 1981 and can remember reading in The Sun ( so it must be true) that my life expectancy was 54. Smashed that out of the park:)

Hope you are all having a good day, weather is a bit naff here in Haggisland, windy and wee bit cloudy. So just out for my daily stroll later.

Stay safe one and all

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had tickets for gigs every Saturday for the last month and they've all been postponed. Going to be one heck of an autumn when we hopefully get let out to play :)

I had only 1 gig planned and that was last month to see Tarja, the ex lead singer of Nightwish. Hopefully it will be rescheduled for autumn time

Got a few gigs planned for autumn already, so yeah it could be busy

Reactions: Marie 2 and kev-w

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 how are things in your part of the world? Are you okay?
Thanks for asking. Nothing worse than life being somewhat boring with the social distancing so far. I live alone in a rural area so nothing much has changed on a daily base, except for feeling sorry and worrying for people struggling with work, homeschooling children, expectations of losing their businesses and of course the virus itself. Thankfully that last one hasn't happened yet between my family and friends.
But I'm particularly worried for one of my best friends who has gastroparesis and 2 children needing home schooling and she really doesn't have enough energy to do everything that needs to be done. She had just started looking into tube feeding with her doctor in hopes not needing to try to eat and it making her sick all the time would leave her some more room for other things in life and who knows, maybe even some more energy, but that will be postponed for months now.
I wish I could do something to help her out.

Have been struggling with some other stuff, not covid or diabetes related. Depression and anxiety have been rather strong this year, the loss of my dog in december hasn't helped and last week there was a horrible incident with my 9 new guinea pigs and -I suspect- a marten. Only 3 left, so 6 of them of which at least 2 were pregnant, plus a couple of babies have disappeared.

So I haven't been feeling like writing a lot on the forum, I found I like writing happy or funny stories a lot more than sad ones.
All in all things have been pretty much fine in my little world, just not as happy as I'd like them to be.

Reactions: karen8967

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for asking. Nothing worse than life being somewhat boring with the social distancing so far. I live alone in a rural area so nothing much has changed on a daily base, except for feeling sorry and worrying for people struggling with work, homeschooling children, expectations of losing their businesses and of course the virus itself. Thankfully that last one hasn't happened yet between my family and friends.
But I'm particularly worried for one of my best friends who has gastroparesis and 2 children needing home schooling and she really doesn't have enough energy to do everything that needs to be done. She had just started looking into tube feeding with her doctor in hopes not needing to try to eat and it making her sick all the time would leave her some more room for other things in life and who knows, maybe even some more energy, but that will be postponed for months now.
I wish I could do something to help her out.

Have been struggling with some other stuff, not covid or diabetes related. Depression and anxiety have been rather strong this year, the loss of my dog in december hasn't helped and last week there was a horrible incident with my 9 new guinea pigs and -I suspect- a marten. Only 3 left, so 6 of them of which at least 2 were pregnant, plus a couple of babies have disappeared.

So I haven't been feeling like writing a lot on the forum, I found I like writing happy or funny stories a lot more than sad ones.
All in all things have been pretty much fine in my little world, just not as happy as I'd like them to be.
Good to hear from you @Antje77, thanks for replying and sorry you've been feeling low. I really, really relate to losing your dog, and your guinea pig incident sounds dreadful. I can also understand your worries about your friend, and the desire to help. I find the frustration of lost independence and the inability to help the most difficult things, and work at remembering all the reasons I have to be grateful and content every day. Good luck with staying positive, I want a hug emoji to send now xx

Hope you're finding some happiness and some fun, even if it's some of the stuff going around on social media.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Sending you hugs @ANTJE, and a here’s a raised glass/mug/teacup to any little bit of light hearted in a dark world.
Had another lovely walk in the woods today, just four other people there this time. We thought we’d better get out there before the powers that be confine us all to home, home and nothing but the home. Rang my sister-in-law, she and my brother live in London and she’s very not happy with the crowd in the park that might bring about confinement for all of us. It won’t actually make a difference to her anyway as she’ll be 85 next month, had half of one lung removed in her youth and has been firmly told by her daughter that she MUST NOT go out gallivanting like she usually does. She hates being confined and is planning the break out party for when this is all over, should be quite a do!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I am sorry to hear that @Antje77 . It always seems like several things hit at once and makes us really appreciate when things are going nicely. Big hugs.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Work has been okay, very physically demanding but I’m getting through it. I’ve had one work colleague who was not happy with me eating something sweet. She told me to take less insulin so I won’t go low and not have the need to eat something sweet. But I’m like I was just enjoying a piece of cake because it was a resident’s 99th birthday. So her solution and only solution is take less insulin. If yall have a low, the only thing to do is take less insulin (according to her)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd ask her how long she's had type 1 diabetes for!! Even then it's none of her business what you eat, unless you asked her for advice, which you clearly hadn't. Awful how some people, usually those without a clue, like to tell us how to manage our diabetes. Sending hugs.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Mornin’ everyone. I’m really concerned, this is the nth day in a row that I’ve woken with the dawn, totally uncharacteristic. I’m beginning to get cheerfully Pollyanna optimistic as another beautiful flush of sun lights up the emerging new leaves. Cat’s pleased, early breakfast and garden trip again.
I might do some baking today as the polenta cake’s now gone. Good old nostalgic scones (no, don’t start, both pronunciations are good and there won’t be cream or jam), or Victoria sponge. Or maybe it’s time to channel Mrs Cropley. Can you get old Vicar of Dibley screenings over there @Antje77?
7.2, and an instant fotf this morning.
Have a good day everyone. Ask your annoying colleague how her beta cells are today @MeiChanski.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, just touched 9 this morning, think I just might have had one teeny tiny bit too much 90% chocolate last night.....

@MeiChanski how incredibly stupid and annoyingis that colleague - print out the responses on here and show them to her! (just joking - almost ;)) And respect for keeping on doing what you do.

Oh, and it reained here overnight, there are puddles outside but another lovely sunny start. Have a good day all.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Good morning
Ive not been around here recently, not for any particular reason, so I hope all is well considering the strange world we now live in...

I got up with a 6.2 so a satisfactory start to the week.....

Have fun

Tony

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all!

Hooray! Increased basal has worked overnight. For today.

@MeiChanski - I have a number of non-diabetic work colleagues who had tried telling me how to handle my diabetes. They get told it is none of their business. Politely to start with and repeat offences in decreasing levels of politeness.

I have only ever taken notice of 1 of them. We have an excellent working relationship 99.9% of the time and I meekly agreed with the ranting "Don't ever scare me like that again by having your phone switched off when we've had one of our once in a blue moon rows and I'm ringing to apologise. I had visions of you dead post-biggest hypo ever and it was all my fault." (That colleague is the only one I'd trust in an emergency.) The 4 T1 colleagues I've known don't actually bother offering any unsolicited advice, just empathy.

Completely lost track of which bin goes out this week - I think it's recycling but it might be garden waste though as far as I can see they're all going in the same bin trucks right now. We had an e-mail to that effect about the garden waste a week or so back.

Accidentally inflicted a live video of me playing my lesser played (very lesser played these days) clarinet on my FB feed yesterday to the entertainment of numerous kind friends. (The ones whose ears I may have assaulted were kind and kept quiet!) I may have been good once upon a time, but dear me, I am out of practise. However, it is now set up again, out of its case, on the stand it lives on when in use and with the early grades study books on the music stand!! I always go more or less back to the beginning when I'm having a spell when I can practise most days.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning and happy Mondays.

5.8 waking after a massive curry from the take away but back on the diet today as I've slipped :p lately, birthday tea and supper took 4 injections and around 15u insulin which is around 5u more than usual, but I'm a big believer in 'eat less move more' where weight's concerned but have had a hypocritical fortnight in regards to that.

Music? I played a little Oasis in the back garden on the acoustic guitar yesterday morning, 'play' is may be a stronger term than what it was but it was fun, but I don't sing, and I've been learning an old rave piano tune 'K Klass Let me show you' which I'll get right right one day, the absent child has a keyboard so I've snuck it into my bedroom and once I learn* a few piano tunes (rave from the 90's) I've a choice of amps :p

Today's back to the decorating with a bike ride at some point, and perhaps a shop, have a good one :p

Diabetes advice off a work mate? Always liberating, usually uncalled for and always guaranteed to get a bite :)

*Learn as in with 3 fingers one hand :p

Reactions: karen8967