Type 1'stars R Us

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Has anyone who discovered hitherto unknown relatives found other T1s among them? My nephew, half-sister’s son, was a T1.

Reactions: Marie 2

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Your dad was in a band? :cool:

My great grandfather had a band. Let's just say he had a few "groupies" & here I am.. Rock & roll..

From the Old Swan Pub somewhere near the Thames (Google says Battersea).
My father is the guitarist on the left. Not sure how many groupies would have been following these 3 around but hey, you never know.;)

upload_2021-6-11_14-36-48.png

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Has anyone who discovered hitherto unknown relatives found other T1s among them? My nephew, half-sister’s son, was a T1.

I have been wondering about that myself. If I ever meet my new half sister, I'll be sure to ask. Also, as I didn't become diabetic until the tender age of 54, maybe I should warn her to keep an eye out for symptoms?

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
From the Old Swan Pub somewhere near the Thames (Google says Battersea).
My father is the guitarist on the left. Not sure how many groupies would have been following these 3 around but hey, you never know.;)

View attachment 49927
If they’d watched South Pacific they might have got all gooey eyed.

Reactions: urbanracer

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well it might have worked the last time, but it certainly didn't work today. 1/2 hour into swimming I shot up to 8.9. By the time I got out I was 10.5 and climbing. I immediately gave a correction dose and ended up at 13 before starting to come down. I ended up taking 3 times a normal dose over the next 2 hours
Did you steal my blood sugars? I went swimming this morning and very unexpectedly dropped to 2.8, which didn't make sense at all.
The universe must have somehow mixed things up between us. Maybe we'd better not swim on the same morning in the future!

Reactions: hh1 and Marie 2

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, had a couple of friends round yesterday evening for a meal and a movie. We used to go to the movies regularly, and none of us quite feels like going to a cinema yet, so I had something to watch and we did it here. It was great, though I still want to get back to the cinema as soon as it feels okay. First time we'd all been together since the first lockdown and we talked so much over dinner I wasn't sure we'd get to see a movie, but we did and decided we'll do it again.

Looks like a hot one here today, have a good day all.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, whilst being extremely careful with the sun I managed to get burned yesterday. Gardening, nice breeze, dappled shade, didn't realise the sun had got on to my back and as I was gardening in a vest I can now see the shape of it quite clearly! Really cross with myself. I don't do sunburn!

Hope you're all a lot more sensible and enjoy the rest of what here is a lovely weekend. Oh, and @karen8967 I'm still in hypo central, can't seem to get it right at the moment. Don't suppose sunburn helps...:(:oops:

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, whilst being extremely careful with the sun I managed to get burned yesterday. Gardening, nice breeze, dappled shade, didn't realise the sun had got on to my back and as I was gardening in a vest I can now see the shape of it quite clearly! Really cross with myself. I don't do sunburn!

Hope you're all a lot more sensible and enjoy the rest of what here is a lovely weekend. Oh, and @karen8967 I'm still in hypo central, can't seem to get it right at the moment. Don't suppose sunburn helps...:(:oops:
ive lowered basal only by half a unit as im so sensitive to insulin and numbers have shot up if i add the half unit they drop its a nightmare at times .....oh the joys of diabetes :banghead:

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
ive lowered basal only by half a unit as im so sensitive to insulin and numbers have shot up if i add the half unit they drop its a nightmare at times .....oh the joys of diabetes :banghead:
I have found this as well , just making a very small dosage change makes a heck of a difference and sometimes if I make a large dosage change it then has the opposite effect and my blood sugar shoots up , Doesn't seem to make sense does it ?

Reactions: karen8967 and RVW

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, adjusting basal just seems to need the finest tuning possible. Maybe there's some mystery formula for doing it that I haven't found yet.....:hilarious:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Need to up mine. But won’t bother. By the time an extra half unit takes affect the weather will have changed. Just keep pumping in the bolus. Heat makes me rise! Just to prove we are not the same.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I have a girlfriend that made me vegan chocolate pound cake, substituting things to make it vegan and cutting back on the sweetener because she knows I like things less sweet.

It just arrived and coincidentally I was dropping as no DP this morning I guess. So yea I ate a HUGE chunk! And then I had to guess at how much insulin as I haven’t had it before, in fact I haven’t had pound cake since???

I guessed at 40 carbs, I started climbing at about 45 minutes and I have leveled off at 7.7, but I have also got on my exercise bike. But I think I need more insulin but my ratios are higher in the am and I usually skip eating. So we will watch and wait grasshopper lol.

Yum! It was delicious lol and worth it! Always a learning experience at new foods!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good morning everyone. Still here, juggling basal like the rest of you. In a momentary sweet spot with just a half unit increase but expecting that to be short-lived. Like you, Karen and Becca, a half unit can make a lot of difference, so when will quarter unit pens arrive for those of us without a pump? Meanwhile, it’s been close sticky weather so the fans are out and the shades are on. Hoping for a rip roaring thunderstorm to clear the air.
Ceramics has begun again with just half of us in the studio at one time. The second studio afternoon happened yesterday. It’s a real joy to meet up with old friends again and to be making stuff in the company of others. That and the wonderfully resuscitating back garden lunch with the oldies’ book group (natter and laugh group) last week is glorious. Please please don’t let variant Epsilon, and other elements, muck it all up!
I hope everyone’s still using masks and distancing. The varied results of vaccine effectiveness mean caution I think. Hope for the best but guard against the worst.