Type 1'stars R Us

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So, for the first time in four years, I took myself off to London and decided to make a pretty full day of it, not just the funeral I was going to. Well, I was booked out of work for the whole day.

So, 12 miles of walking got done as well!!

Apart from the fact the train I was aiming for on the return journey was so full (Why, oh why is the first train on the ultra-cheap tickets in the evening only a 2 carriage one.) I went on the next one, which was far more pleasant and 4 carriages, half an hour later, all went very well.

Now, this is also the first time I've been in London since being on insulin. So, injections in the wild were to be seen (packed lunch on a bench outside the Royal Courts of Justice, finding a quiet-ish corner at the post-funeral refreshments whilst playing "Guess the carbs for the cake", evening Basal at the train station whilst waiting for the more pleasant train) explanations to very old friends who've not seen me in about 15 years as to why I am now such a different shape.

And, no frantic text messages from work! So, I'm assuming no mishaps...

@Fairygodmother - I totally agree it's an unforgivable system failure and I was not in the mood for being inconvenienced when I'd done nothing wrong. I expected to take the rap for my own mistakes, and I expect professionals in all areas to do the same. Mistakes happen, of course, but then they get sorted by the person or department who made them. Or am I just plain weird?!

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone have a good day
245561734_10224444883023965_7893292341130164207_n.jpg

(picture edited for language - Antje)

Last edited by a moderator:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all. @karen8967 your memes always make me laugh out loud.
@Fairygodmother a nice idea re your Gp. My husband and I were going to write an email to ours along similar lines. We feel we have been blessed with a very on the ball practice. All the reception staff have been unfailingly helpful and I have been through umpteen tests and procedures initiated by the Gp for an ongoing, though unfortunately unresolved, stomach problem. To be fair we do not phone initially, but use the e consult system. These are dealt with very quickly and we often get a phone call back within the same day to deal with things. All medication is ordered on line and within a couple of days is in the local pharmacy who send a text to let me know. I know getting through on the phone is hard for many who do not have access to the internet. But the truth is, if those of us who do have access and used the technology available, it would make it easier for those that don’t to get through. Particularly those in urgent need. I had my consultant appointment by phone, it came at the time it said it would and he could see all my Libre results at the click of a button. My urine test for kidney function was done last week at home by me, using an app. The results were immediate for me to see and went direct to my Gp also. A bonus re hospital appointment was that I saved £5 on parking, and it took 15 minutes of my time not 2 hours. What’s not to like.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good news @Japes that your trip to London went without mishap, but sad that it was for a funeral.
I agree @becca59, the current system of online and phone GP access works really well for many of us and I wouldn’t want to be forced to leave it to fill some wretched tickbox.
I did walk to the surgery and back to deliver my card, though I needed an outdoor sit for tea and a bit of people watching on the way home. I only covered four and a half miles Japes, you put me to shame.
Husband and I also gave a card of appreciation to our lovely nextdoor neighbour GP who’s really helped us during lockdown, and is a great friend. Husband also got her some chocolates.
She handed over a copy of Private Eye for 1 - 14 Oct, folded open at pages 8 and 9. I fear the attack on GPs is just part of the wider privatisation plan. Look at who owns the villa in Marbella. It all falls sickeningly into place.
I expect that LooperCat is getting militant.
I dread a change in the way we access the life-saving meds we need.
Sorry. I want to be cheerful.
I’ve got to stroke the cat and fed the fish and say hello to the birds and the flowers to stay aware of what’s good. I have to stay in today for from a distance part time job stuff or it’d be a reviving walk in the woods too.
Love the cartoon Karen.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
The first graph, I was having a wonderful even keel BG day, I stayed between 4.4 and 7.2 all day.
The second graph, a pod change at the end of that day that obviously didn't work.
From 6.1 to 6.7 in 40 minutes, high alert goes off, uh oh somethings wrong, No food. Change pod. Dose.
Still climbing, more dosing. Why did I not just assume it would be a straight up climb and dose for at least an 11 up front??? From 6.1 to 12.9 in a total of 120 minutes before it finally stopped climbing and enough insulin started kicking in.

5C100AD0-9099-4E44-A66C-A1C79CC96EAC.png
787618EE-ABBB-45A2-8E44-52725C504289.png

Trevor vP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello good evening

I have a question

my daily carbs is

60 in the morning 45 in lunch and dinner times.

approx 150 carbs a day. Does this mean low carb or high?

I am about the same between 120 and 150 carbs per day and I take that as low carb as I am 6ft4 circa 90 Kg and train for endurance events

Reactions: Yaya10_10

Yaya10_10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am about the same between 120 and 150 carbs per day and I take that as low carb as I am 6ft4 circa 90 Kg and train for endurance events

Thanks.
yes it is good for me just to fix my daily carb as this helps with my bg.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, had a busy day yesterday, dog walk, flu jab, volunteering in my local wood (quite heavy work), gardening, dog walk - then at 9.30pm, despite taking precautionary paracetamol, got hit like a train with flu vaccine side effects. This has happened to me before and I thought I'd staved it off but no. Streaming eyes, uncontrollable shivering, unable to get warm. I crawled into bed, kept half my clothes on to try and keep what warmth I had, two extra blankets on top of the duvet and eventually fell asleep. Woke up twice in the night and felt pretty grim when I woke up this morning. I know this will pass and be way easier than getting flu, but I hope I feel better soon today. Hope your weekends are all less troubled!

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Husband dropped into a hub yesterday to see if they’d give us booster doses. Neither of us have had a call from the poor overworked GPs so we thought we’d give it a try as the time gap’s right. Yes, they’d enough Pfizer, so we sat side by side to be jabbed and chatted with a friend, there by chance, who’d done the same.
Did any of you have Pfizer? I had AZ for the first two. I now have what seem to be cold symptoms, but maybe that’s what the Pfizer does.

Can you please explain about the walk-in hub? I would prefer a walk-in centre so I can ask if they are jabbing with Pfizer. My first two vaccinations were AZ. When I was sent a link (from GP surgery) to book a booster, the link said that it would be either Pfizer or Moderna. Three of my siblings have had Pfizer for their first two jabs and now are getting Pfizer boosters. On the basis that they had negligible side effects (and my genes are the same) I would like to have Pfizer booster.

Reactions: Marie 2

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, had a busy day yesterday, dog walk, flu jab, volunteering in my local wood (quite heavy work), gardening, dog walk - then at 9.30pm, despite taking precautionary paracetamol, got hit like a train with flu vaccine side effects. This has happened to me before and I thought I'd staved it off but no. Streaming eyes, uncontrollable shivering, unable to get warm. I crawled into bed, kept half my clothes on to try and keep what warmth I had, two extra blankets on top of the duvet and eventually fell asleep. Woke up twice in the night and felt pretty grim when I woke up this morning. I know this will pass and be way easier than getting flu, but I hope I feel better soon today. Hope your weekends are all less troubled!
Big hugs hh1 x

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for all your kind messages. To be honest, I felt okay by lunchtime today. Just wish I knew what caused it in the flu jabs; I was fine with the covid ones (I had Astra Zeneca), let's hope that applies when I have my booster next week.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I believe properly it would be
I did that
"while at SPAR's "
"while I was at SPAR"
"when I was at SPAR's "
"when I was in a SPAR"
There's more lol.........and I am not an English major so................

But saying I did it at SPAR sounds odd except in the context of the cartoon which is talking about downing something before paying for it because of a low BG, so you are just saying I did it too, some options might have fit better. Example I did that at SPAR's?
But it mostly fits............
Of course it makes more sense when you know what SPAR is lol, which I didn't............I had to look that up.

Reactions: Yaya10_10