Type 1'stars R Us

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone. I woke up about 5 am ish, with about 6.0, and it's hovering around there at the moment, which is nice. I did have to correct about midnight though, but since then my blood glucose has behaved quite well.

My toe is a lot happier today, I've worked out what is happening with my blood sugars after eating. The antibiotics are slowing down my digestion, so taking the insulin 20 minutes before eating, is not a good idea at the moment.

I'm having overnight oats for breakfast. I used to have porridge, but I hate washing the saucepan, and my blood sugar would go too high. Now I eat less oats, as overnight oats, soaked in yoghurt, and a bit of cocoa, to make them taste nice. It has loads of antioxidants, so that's my excuse.

Taking the dog out now to say hello to storm herbert, then breakfast, and work to do.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone. I woke up about 5 am ish, with about 6.0, and it's hovering around there at the moment, which is nice. I did have to correct about midnight though, but since then my blood glucose has behaved quite well.

My toe is a lot happier today, I've worked out what is happening with my blood sugars after eating. The antibiotics are slowing down my digestion, so taking the insulin 20 minutes before eating, is not a good idea at the moment.

I'm having overnight oats for breakfast. I used to have porridge, but I hate washing the saucepan, and my blood sugar would go too high. Now I eat less oats, as overnight oats, soaked in yoghurt, and a bit of cocoa, to make them taste nice. It has loads of antioxidants, so that's my excuse.

Taking the dog out now to say hello to storm herbert, then breakfast, and work to do.

A good trick for the saucepan problem. Put peanut butter in your porridge. Yummy too.

Reactions: Alison54321
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@mountaintom. So, talking about porridge set me off fancying. Decided to have some and also experiment.
Made 50 carbs worth and injected 2 units. Then kept an eye on my Libre. It went up slightly, about a 1.5mmol rise and then stayed that way for TWO HOURS! The Libre then took a direct up arrow rise and I took the remaining 3 units. As I don’t have the time to clat like that in the morning and also have a higher insulin ratio before 2pm no wonder I had issues with high carbs at breakfast.
Just shows how porridge is a slow release food. By taking more insulin before consuming it to stop that inevitable rise, you are bound to go hypo later

My dear ole dad used to like porridge only with salt though, no honey or peanut butter or sugar sprinkled on the top, salt was the Scottish way to him, tough with no nonsense, bless him. Also he was of slight build and stayed that way all his life, he lived to 94 <3 |

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Storm Hector, not Herbert, I must remember his name, when saying hello.

A little story regarding the name Herbert. When I got married decades ago, my EX was called John, but................. when the registrar said" do you Herbert John, take thee *****", his mates sniggered with a burst of laughter, no one knew, nor did I !! I was embarrassed to say the least but he hated his first name, it was passed on by his father and his grand father, so a right lot of Herberts then lol

I remember Hector's House a children's programme years ago.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Went to bed last night 9.1.....woke this morning 14.1 grrrr. Correction dose with my breakfast (Crunchy Nut Cornflakes) and am now at 6.7. WINNER :)
Wish Hector would do one pretty quickly, going camping for a week from Saturday!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Oatibix not wheetabix for me mountaintom if it’s cereal. Then the inevitable catch-it-quick-before-it-gets-away at 11 that seems to have set in with Levemir. Not sure whether I like Levemir or not. It’s a bit of an attention seeker.
8.0 this morning now down to 6.1 with the breakfast and DP dose all in one go so will be eating in about 10 mins, I hope.

Reactions: Alison54321

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
10.1 this morning which was a disappointment.
hey ho

Happy times and places

Tony

3 hours on and a unit of novorapid later I'm 6.8

Reactions: Juicyj

Chris Bowsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
BG 5.7 @ 8:00 (overslept eek.)

But i had to correct twice - 00:00 6 units NR & 04:00 5 units NR

Thats 1u NR for every 0.5mmol by my calculations - seems a lot?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, woke up to a thumping headache and a spectacular 11.9. I’d gone to bed with plenty of Novorapid to correct the 10.7 I had, but no joy. I suspect I’m hitting the one week a month where I’m a bit insulin resistant. Have upped Tresiba by a unit a day, but I imagine by the time it kicks in I’ll not need it any more. Down to 8.8 now though.

Ugh.

No idea what the weather is doing, not opened the curtains to look...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Down to 3.3 now, wish the DP would make its mind up, it has daily variations of the fix needed. Grrrrrr.
Ah well, I don’t mind a slow start to today but it’s annoying when I need to get going early; find myself envying people who don’t have this extra factor far too often.
Slap wrist. Stop it. There’s a young black headed tit at the feeder, enjoy watching it you silly moo and stop moaning!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning all, woke up to a thumping headache and a spectacular 11.9. I’d gone to bed with plenty of Novorapid to correct the 10.7 I had, but no joy. I suspect I’m hitting the one week a month where I’m a bit insulin resistant. Have upped Tresiba by a unit a day, but I imagine by the time it kicks in I’ll not need it any more. Down to 8.8 now though.

Ugh.

No idea what the weather is doing, not opened the curtains to look...

Sun has just come out in Newport now, was lashing it down an hour ago.
Unusually high numbers for you @Mel dCP, glad they are coming down now :), guessing you had DP this morning ;) *COUGHS* :D

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Grrrr now at 3.2....feel really good too. Hypo awareness is gone! Ah well, at least I get to eat some Jelly babies, all is not lost. And a sugar in my cuppa

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
10.1 this morning which was a disappointment.
hey ho

Happy times and places

Tony

3 hours on and a unit of novorapid later I'm 6.8

I can't decide whether you need a hug or a like, consider this reply as representing whichever you prefer.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sun has just come out in Newport now, was lashing it down an hour ago.
Unusually high numbers for you @Mel dCP, glad they are coming down now :), guessing you had DP this morning ;) *COUGHS* :D
Not so much DP as a continuous high. And not in a good way ;) Back into double figures again now, and climbing. It’s LADIES’ THINGS, sadly. One week a month I seem to get really insulin resistant, and because Tresiba takes so long to respond to a dose change, I’m a bit stuck. By the time an increased dose takes effect, I don’t need it any more, and hypo all over the place. I can’t get the timing right to increase/drop it on the right day. I don’t think it’s the right basal for me, but don’t know whether to stick with it until my appointment in September so I can present lots of data and maybe get a pump, or try and change it now. Any advice gratefully accepted!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A 16.8 at 04.00 so I had 2u Humalog, got up to a blood of 16, had 5u for breakfast and waited 2 hours for it to drop, standard bowl of porridge and I'd gone up to 17.7 during my undertakers appointment so I've had another 2u, so 9u so far where I'd normally have 2.5 or 3u for breakfast, the undertaker didn't mind me lifting my top for a belly injection, I did ask her if she was squeamish, but as she sits and chats with corpses every day she wasn't phased :p

So I'm adding undertakers to the list of blood sugar spike causes, along with solicitors and ex gitlfreinds, that or the Lantus is having a day off, which with Lantus can seem to happen once a week.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Not so much DP as a continuous high. And not in a good way ;) Back into double figures again now, and climbing. It’s LADIES’ THINGS, sadly. One week a month I seem to get really insulin resistant, and because Tresiba takes so long to respond to a dose change, I’m a bit stuck. By the time an increased dose takes effect, I don’t need it any more, and hypo all over the place. I can’t get the timing right to increase/drop it on the right day. I don’t think it’s the right basal for me, but don’t know whether to stick with it until my appointment in September so I can present lots of data and maybe get a pump, or try and change it now. Any advice gratefully accepted!

I am trying to get on a pump myself, after 46 years of injections, I have had enough of sticking needles in myself! Have just been moved over to the pump consultant at the Royal Gwent, just waiting for an appointment now. Going to see the dietitian a week Tuesday, so will be on her case again. Luckily Tresiba seems to be working fine for me, have eventually found the right dose for myself (will probably be incorrect next week).

Reactions: Juicyj

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am trying to get on a pump myself, after 46 years of injections, I have had enough of sticking needles in myself! Have just been moved over to the pump consultant at the Royal Gwent, just waiting for an appointment now. Going to see the dietitian a week Tuesday, so will be on her case again. Luckily Tresiba seems to be working fine for me, have eventually found the right dose for myself (will probably be incorrect next week).
I rang the nurse last week to ask if I could have some Levemir as well, so I could inject a unit alongside the Tresiba that would work fast and be out of my system fast just for this one week. They weren’t having any of it though. She did suggest the best option would be a pump, so I wonder whether to call today to press the issue? I don’t know. I’m not very good at peopling.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
A 16.8 at 04.00 so I had 2u Humalog, got up to a blood of 16, had 5u for breakfast and waited 2 hours for it to drop, standard bowl of porridge and I'd gone up to 17.7 during my undertakers appointment so I've had another 2u, so 9u so far where I'd normally have 2.5 or 3u for breakfast, the undertaker didn't mind me lifting my top for a belly injection, I did ask her if she was squeamish, but as she sits and chats with corpses every day she wasn't phased :p

So I'm adding undertakers to the list of blood sugar spike causes, along with solicitors and ex gitlfreinds, that or the Lantus is having a day off, which with Lantus can seem to happen once a week.

I know exactly how you feel, it's life's trails and tribulations and cope with it best you can, take care

Reactions: kev-w