Type 1'stars R Us

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick question for the MM/Xdrip users. Going to change the Libre sensor later. Do I stop the MM with Xdrip when changing over and do I wait for the 1 hour warm up befor putting the MM back on and starting the sensor again?

You will need to choose 'Stop Sensor' in xDrip when you're finished with the old one (in my experience with Blucon they keep going for 12 hours~ after 'officially' expiring in xDrip) followed by 'Stop Sensor' again.

I let it to do the warm up and then when I use Start Sensor I enter the time I started the warm up.

Reactions: porl69

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Blinking meeting that unexpectedly involved cake yesterday..........they didn't look that sugary :hungry:..........(thought I might be a tad low anyway :woot:)..............so had one :p..................and then 2 :nailbiting:.

Can't think of the last time I hit a high of 16.4 during the day - fortunately the lunch time correction played out nicely and was 6.8 before heading home.

They were nice though!

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And I'm a clown :(

Blood sugar rising whilst getting on, but something's not right, oh yes, my night time jab I now have on a morning needs taking grrrrrr.

Sighs, shrugs his shoulders at his 10.9 and pots the coffee pot for a few minutes cba...

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep having to do corrections to nudge me back in range from being slightly too high. Ratios seem to work but then I seem to get rises after 3 hours.

Harrumph. Perhaps it's basal testing time again.

9.8 at bedtime with a 1u correction (after a 1.5u correction 2 hours earlier) and 8.1 this morning with another 1u to sort out the morning rise.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
You will need to choose 'Stop Sensor' in xDrip when you're finished with the old one (in my experience with Blucon they keep going for 12 hours~ after 'officially' expiring in xDrip) followed by 'Stop Sensor' again.

I let it to do the warm up and then when I use Start Sensor I enter the time I started the warm up.
Thank you. Wanted to make sure :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @n1ck, Please tell me if I am inadvertently telling you how to suck eggs. I was told many years ago that to cope with exercise;
1) eat food beforehand or 2) lower the insulin which is active during the exercise or 3) a combo of 1) and 2).
Also not to exercise if BSL at start of exercise is > 13 to 14 mmol/l as the body responds to this by releasing glucose from the liver during the exercise and one ends up with BSLs much higher and feeling very unwell.
The above advice (we are talking about 50 years ago)! was augmented by the statement, during exercise your BSL may go up, stay about the same or go down. (these doctors were not going to get caught out, they had the cricket field of questions covered).
So, I tend to find my BSLs go up during exercise, when starting BSL is , 13 mmol/. So eating food first off was not a very successful way to mange things initially. Also I soon found that indulging in vigorous games like squash were counterproductive because my BSL would be in the high teens at the end of exercise and if I was not careful a hypo followed by a rebound hyper would happen some 6 + hours later.
The other point which most of us have had drummed into us (but not 50 years ago - where experience was very much by trial and errors - not pens, pumps, glucose meters or fancy insulins) was that BSLs can really drop at about the 6 hour mark after the end of exercise. Why ? Apparently our muscles have glucose stores within them. It makes sense to have fuel stored in your aircraft near the engines in order to take off at short notice.
So what happens when the muscles (or aircraft engines) become low on fuel after a 'normal' bout of exercise or flying? Fuel (glucose) is replenished from fuel lines (the blood stream) and for whatever reason that tends to be about 6 hours or so after the exercise (flight) etc. Whether the intervening time is spent on maintenance who knows?
When glucose is 'sucked up' by the muscles the blood sugar in the blood stream may drop , unless a larger meal has been consumed to make up the short fall, or insulin is lower in quantity and so more blood sugar is left in the blood stream.
So for me the answer was to lower the insulin that was acting some hours after my exercise rather than the insulin working during exercise itself.
If my exercise lasted much longer than expected and I found that I had reached a point where my BSL was getting lower I could always have a boost of food.
At age 64 I walk carrying the shopping and arm and leg weights rather than run, swim slowly, avoid squash. Enjoy non-competition tennis, do kayaking, canoeing and walking on the beach. I used to cycle, run, do whitewater canoeing etc.
I appreciate that people of my age still run and do more energetic activities than I. It was a matter of what suited me best and still would meet my health needs, heart-wise in particular.
On my insulin pump I lower my basal rate by 20 to 30% for 4 hours or so at the beginning of exercise. The Novorapid lasts about 5 hours per dose input, the fall off in insulin takes maybe 2 to 3 hours to start having an appreciable effect on BSL and will last past the 6 hour mark. I vary the % reduction and time course depending on the length of exercise and strain (heavier shopping load vs lighter, longer trip, any break between to and fro etc). So there is still some guesswork!!
No sure if that helps but it seems to work for me. For others food might be needed during exercise as a matter of course. Best Wishes !!!
BTW I suspect that the cost of Dopplers is the reason why they are scarce these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Spent a fair bit of the night high due to a three course work dinner, corrected but not much reduction before bed. Woke on 7.1 which was quite a relief as I'd expected more.
I have often thought about making a point at some of these dinners of asking for a doggie bag to indicate the ridiculous amount of food, or inappropriate food served.
I suspect that management might have an easier time persuading people to agree to some change in policy during a feed than otherwise. (I stand ready to be caned, or castigated, or relegated to the 7th circle of Hell for insolence)!!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Quick question for the MM/Xdrip users. Going to change the Libre sensor later. Do I stop the MM with Xdrip when changing over and do I wait for the 1 hour warm up befor putting the MM back on and starting the sensor again?
The MM will read the old sensor for 8-12 hours after it’s officially expired. I start the new one, and keep the MM on the old one until the new one is ready. In fact, my last change, I was out and about when the new one fired up, so just swapped it over when I got home.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
The MM will read the old sensor for 8-12 hours after it’s officially expired. I start the new one, and keep the MM on the old one until the new one is ready. In fact, my last change, I was out and about when the new one fired up, so just swapped it over when I got home.
Thanks Mel. Good to know. I put the new sensor on this morning BUT wont start it until I get home after work.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have often thought about making a point at some of these dinners of asking for a doggie bag to indicate the ridiculous amount of food, or inappropriate food served.

Eating out I'm the opposite as I don't do left overs :p but I prefer buffet places where you can eat for an hour and serve yourself food that's not carb loaded.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, had a slightly annoying low at bedtime last night, seemed to be stuck on 3.4 for a couple of hours. Seemed like a good time to experiment with “just the right amount” of dextrose and temporary basal to deal with it without overshooting. So I took 9g and turned the pod off for an hour, and let it do it’s thing. I didn’t have anywhere to be other than snuggled up with a book... overshot slightly to 7.1, I can live with that! Steady 4s and 5s since then. I suspect I’d over-boluses for the prawns in my dinner, the last couple of times I did my normal 1u:20g ratio over 2 hours, I’ve gone low. Going to have to look at that again.

0BDDD864-9B70-421A-A6DF-23F9239A8DBF.jpeg

In other news, had a passenger in a bunch of bananas from Lidl... a Mediterranean house centipede, Scutigera coleoptrata and the world’s fastest arthropod with a speed of 16 inches a second. Quite a surprise to see it emerge from your fruit bowl and leg it up the ceiling in ten seconds flat!

2B53AADA-E936-4EE4-8234-D04605AA15C6.jpeg

Hugs @Knikki - those CBA days are miserable.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Mel dCP That's a tactic I use but without taking glucose, like this morning I had a warning on my G6 at 4.30am saying I was going low, have it set at 4.4 to alert me, it dipped to 3.9 but was so tired I just turned off my basal for an hour and woke at 6.2 and fortunately without the heavy hangover head, but having an alert means I can do this instead of glugging back glucotabs, particularly when I am sleeping as dread the thought of what damage i'm doing to my teeth eating that in the night.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Sorry to hear that @Knikki You've earned yourself a duvet day with that post, some days every thing just collides, it's almost as though the diabetes planets are all out of sync, I had one on Saturday when my cannula set change was hurting so had to do a change, then my BG levels started rising and it took me 3-4 hours of rage bolusing to get back into range (which was by the time I needed to eat so it then started rising again, on top of that I was supposed to be seeing mates and didn't want to a diabetic bore by playing with my pump all night to try and stay in range, some days it can just do one :banghead:

By the way you are allowed your moment. Hope you're feeling better soon

Reactions: kev-w and LooperCat
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good afternoon, yesterday was a great day and my daughter had a lovely time, I still can't believe she is 18 !!! Her presents included a Michael Kors watch, money, a birthday Pusheen and a 43 inch TV, so she hasn't done badly at all :happy:

MY BS before bed was 5.7 and my waking BS was 11.4 ! well, it could of been a lot worse. I only had a small slice of cake at lunch time and a taste of a Woo Woo cocktail later on after our meal.
Work later, I think I am having my probation 'chat' this week, my gut feeling says it's today, so I am definitely dressed up for the occasion, head to toe in black ;)
Lunch soon and a lovely cuppa.
Happy Wednesday to you all :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all, had a slightly annoying low at bedtime last night, seemed to be stuck on 3.4 for a couple of hours. Seemed like a good time to experiment with “just the right amount” of dextrose and temporary basal to deal with it without overshooting. So I took 9g and turned the pod off for an hour, and let it do it’s thing. I didn’t have anywhere to be other than snuggled up with a book... overshot slightly to 7.1, I can live with that! Steady 4s and 5s since then. I suspect I’d over-boluses for the prawns in my dinner, the last couple of times I did my normal 1u:20g ratio over 2 hours, I’ve gone low. Going to have to look at that again.

View attachment 29028

In other news, had a passenger in a bunch of bananas from Lidl... a Mediterranean house centipede, Scutigera coleoptrata and the world’s fastest arthropod with a speed of 16 inches a second. Quite a surprise to see it emerge from your fruit bowl and leg it up the ceiling in ten seconds flat!

View attachment 29029

Hugs @Knikki - those CBA days are miserable.

Well, they don't call it the world's fastest arthropod for nothing then............... :D but wow :wideyed:

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well the past 2 days have been near perfect BG wise for me. Stayed between 4.5 and 8 most of time, except for slight spike after eating but then falls back nicely. Only blip was a 3.8 at 2.30 this morning, handful of jelly beans sorted this and woke to a 6.4 this morning. Just about to have lunch and its now 6.2, so for me these are great figures.

See this diabetic lark its dead easy;););)

Hope you are getting back to normal Knikki, we all have days of ups and downs you will be fine shortly

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Good day friends

Fasting this morning was 4.1 a little bit shaky so chewed on some glucotabs tested after and 5.1 and thankfully been in the 5s since

Bright and sunny up here and the sun has some strength behind it

Ok good people hope you all have a decent day

Hugs being sent to those who’d like one

Bye for now

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning

Proper CBA head on for this diabetes lark, getting to that point where a number of things are colliding and just p*ssed off with it.

Yes I know I am usually one of the positive ones but every now and then I get one on me and at the moment it is one of those days.

Other than that all in the green over night, woke with a 6.8 breakky, dump more insulin than usual get to work and its heading for the stars, correction dose of 3 and now running level 7.6, so lets see what happens in 3 hours when I expect a spike.

Normal service will resume shortly.
Sending hugs knikki