Bright sunny here in fact the sun is melting the tarmac

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I find the psychological side of T1 is the hardest part of it all, because as you say, it is a constant battle and juggling act. It’s mentally heavily demanding. I’ve also put on weight since getting Madame BG under control, despite eating less than 1200 calories a day, the temptation to let it run higher to lose a little weight is always in the back of my mind. Always around if you want a chat, peer support is what keeps me going, tbh. ❤️
@Mel dCP spot on about the brain challenge and I've only been doing it such a short time. You and many other T1s are brilliant troopers
And Yes, totally agree with the huge temptation to go high but I love life too much
altho' the pull that way is very strong. I did at one point think quite seriously about stopping insulin. Yeh!! don't think I want to be a blind pirate!

The peer support on this forum has been amazing for me so ta very much to everyone. Hope you had fun in the Wirral

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
There's always some thing sinister & almost "pagan" regarding shaping food into "human form."
Lol, I often wonder if jelly babies were concieved to pacify children when the "family dynamics" change due to a newborn sibling?
Or maybe my mind "thinks" too much when I'm low...
Spooky or what?

Hey, it's nearly Halloween. So let's get on that train..
We live (wife & I.) in a 1989 built bungalow. The prevous occupant was an elderly retired doctor & an invalid towards the latter years of her life. My wife & I totally revamped the place.
During the first few months decorating. I was banging out a little rock & roll and applying some paint to a wall. Stepping back & admiring the coverage with a roller in my hand, I was awair of a white haired short elderly woman in a cardie & skirt stood at my right shoulder.
She gave the vibe that the colour scheme & music was not to her taste.. Lol, if there is an "afterlife?" Why come back as a presenter from "DIY SOS."
I actually found an old brown leather doctors bag not long after the incident in the empty attic by the water tank plinth, containing some classic Mozzart manuscript notation. So assumed she was possibly a pianist too..

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi Sue, I also started a a lowish carb diet about 6 months ago . Went from having around 220 g of carbs a day down to about 100/120g. I was quite lucky I lost 4 kg in first 3 months but have put a kg back on. Basically Monday to Friday I dont really eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes. The weekends I allow myself a treat, bacon rolls for lunch maybe a Chinese or Indian for dinner I have also had very few beers since April and have discovered the joys of gin, mmmmm

Agreed it is a constant battle. I would love to keep my BG in check, I have improved them but it has taken a lot of effort. In fact I have put in more effort in past 6 months, than I did in previous 37 years.

Keep at at, I know its hard, but you will reap the rewards. I now just eat lots and lots of veg with my evening meal, but going low carb is not just a diet, its a lifestyle change. It does take hard work initially but it will settle down. Dont be afraid to treat yourself, we all do and it is soooo worth it
Hi and thanks @smc4761 I rarely eat more than 20g per meal, never eat rice, spuds, pasta, don't drink beer. Luv wine and G&T. In fact my eating and drinking habits ie diet haven't changed significantly since diagnosis. I've never had a sweet tooth apart from fruit which I've given up now and find it all a bit pith making that I'm putting on weight.
Well done you though for your 37 years, you must have seen loads of changes in treatment over the time and suppose that must make things so much easier for you

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my flu jag today and finding my BG are running higher than normal. Anyone else experience this?

Reactions: Alison54321

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried playing any Mozart to see if she comes back and is a bit happier, she might start making you drinks late at night if you keep her happy!

I don't believe in engaging with whatever they are..
Not all my encounters have been benign. I woke up in an ex's accommodation & came face to face with a 19th century farm labourer in his mid to late 30s staring at me like he'd come home & caught me in bed with his wife..
My ex at the time reckoned she sometimes felt the edge of the bed drop with the weight of "someone." There was nobody there.
I could give a police description of the bloke right down to his attire he was a burley chap with a shock of black curly hair.

My ex also had an 8 year old son in the next room. He woke one night screaming about "green dancing lights" & "someone in the room." We couldn't console the lad. I ended up saying that he had been on his computor game for possibly too long & that the images may have left an impression on the eyes causing the imagination to run wild in the dark? (It was all I could think of at the time.)
But that apartment in an old converted stable yard was freaky. Partial powercuts, lights going out always seemingly at the end of the property where she was. Not in my area.. They flickered as I walked into the place too..

Put the kettle on....!

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't believe in engaging with whatever they are..
Not all my encounters have been benign. I woke up in an ex's accommodation & came face to face with a 19th century farm labourer in his mid to late 30s staring at me like he'd come home & caught me in bed with his wife..
My ex at the time reckoned she sometimes felt the edge of the bed drop with the weight of "someone." There was nobody there.
I could give a police description of the bloke right down to his attire he was a burley chap with a shock of black curly hair.

My ex also had an 8 year old son in the next room. He woke one night screaming about "green dancing lights" & "someone in the room." We couldn't console the lad. I ended up saying that he had been on his computor game for possibly too long & that the images may have left an impression on the eyes causing the imagination to run wild in the dark? (It was all I could think of at the time.)
But that apartment in an old converted stable yard was freaky. Partial powercuts, lights going out always seemingly at the end of the property where she was. Not in my area.. They flickered as I walked into the place too..

Put the kettle on....!

I've never seen one, or even sensed one. But some people seem to be much more sensitive to this sort of thing, almost as if they are picking up different frequencies.

I must just be very insensitive, though I think I prefer it that way, as it would scare the life out of me if I actually saw one.

The burly farm labourer is a really interesting story. I can understand though why you might not want to engage with them, you might get even more turning up.

Reactions: porl69

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my flu jag today and finding my BG are running higher than normal. Anyone else experience this?

The area around the injection site on my arm went red for a few days, I might have had a slightly increased blood sugar, but put it down to something else. Hopefully it'll pass quickly.

Reactions: smc4761

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee Without wanting to get too weird, I've known people who can see auras, and I can't, I followed the instructions so many times, and see nothing. So that's why I think that some people just pick up different frequencies.

They often tend to have curly hair..........but there is nothing scientific about that observation.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One last thing on ghosts, before I go, and spend all night scaring myself about things going "bump". Though I've never seen one I don't think we have a right to deny other people's experiences, which is why I believe people, with no agenda, when they tell me they've seen one.

That's all really.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Evening colanders. Just got back in from a meal out where I got them to change pretty much everything about my meal choice - tuna steak with avocado instead of chips, sriracha instead of mango & pineapple, olives instead of tomatoes and mayo instead of honey/mustard dressing. Not tried tuna since going carbless, so no idea if it’ll behave like salmon and not need insulin, or like white fish which does. We shall see! The bottle of red wine just adds to the excitement. And I’ve got to change my pod before bed...

FWIW, I had my flu jab a fortnight ago and didn’t even get a sore arm. BG behaved, no fluey symptoms.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
E0531D89-CE20-4DF0-86E8-A4105B5E97E7.jpeg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee Without wanting to get too weird, I've known people who can see auras, and I can't, I followed the instructions so many times, and see nothing. So that's why I think that some people just pick up different frequencies.

They often tend to have curly hair..........but there is nothing scientific about that observation.

I can't see these "auras" either. I'm not into the whole Blair witch ghost hunt thing.

I've just had these weird experiences over the years that in general coincide troubled points in my life?
Some of which have been also witnessed by at least one other person. On discussing "what just happened?" I learn not to "trigger" the other witness's memory of events. Knowing what I've seen, I just allow them to talk without feeding their version of events with mine..
I like to deal with stress head on, preferably resolving it myself. but stress can manifest itself in other ways..

I feel the ghost doctor's house call I mentioned earlier was just tapping into the whole new house buying & move thing.. She never came back after I let her know "this is my gaff now."
With the ex's brute of a spook in her apartment who didn't like my presence. I did discover what I thought was a fallen poster behind the radiator in her room. On pulling it out in the hope of fixing it to the wall, it turned out to be a ouija board.. Maybe she'd opened "Pandora's box" on a quite night in with a few beers...? (She was troubled herself, so I have no doubt "it" had a strong reference point for a fix.)

For me, It all tended to be just dark silent humanoid shapes, physical photographic apparitions with attitude. Orbs, things banging or running about.

Or in one case my car stalling with a passenger on a dark west midlands road near Coventry, two bright lights passing through the vehicle... This was at a time before HID headlights were commonplace on our roads. The car (an old MG Metro.) kicked over & was fine after that...

But the latter? We could be talking of alien intervention.... Lol. I kid you not!
Now that's something I can see more "probable" than "ghosts."

Last edited:
Reactions: Alison54321

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And there we have why I love this place, from gingerbread men to ghosts an beyond.
Just back from carrying flaming torches around the village. Our own festival of light.
Now I'm a villager..
There must have been pitchforks too..? Was there a "wicker man?" ;)

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now that's something I can see more "probable" than "ghosts."

I think aliens from another planet less likely, they'd have to leap universes, in a quantum sort of way.

Rendlesham Forest has a good UFO story though.

Problem is, though, if rational belief is built upon completely refusing to believe stories people tell of strange things, then it stops being rational, and turns into denial. Oh well.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you sure you want to do that? You do realise, that will make it an hour before you last tested! Blood monitors, a mind of their own. Grr! Just do it, go back an hour!