Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Having a decent day so far and managed to stay in single figures up to press. Ran a bit higher than I'd like yesterday (but not unreasonably so) mainly because of going to a concert and I was the one driving.

One strange question I encountered during the bag search before we were let in "Do you know what to do with this [insulin] in case you need to use it?" o_O

P.S. Happy Birthday Ozzy!
Did they think it was an allergy pen?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mel dCP . I keep all my supplies in the kitchen, never considered using the bathroom. Occasionally if I think I may be in for a unpredictable night then I will take a pen upstairs with me. Problem then is I forget to bring it back down again:banghead::banghead::banghead:.
Happy birthday to Ozzy.

I have everything in a little lunch bag. Pens, blood testing kit, Libre reader, jelly babies, coke and mini pack of sultanas. It goes upstairs at night to the side of bed, downstairs in the morning and in my rucksack every time I go out.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Mel dCP . You ladies;););) always bringing logic to everything :).
I use refills for bolus. Having a pen upstairs in bedroom would see it only used when needed in the night. I just don't think it would get used in its entirety before it's use by date ( 28 days ) . I hate waste and having to dump anything unnecessarily, hence just keeping a pen upstairs, for me would raise more issues than it solves.
AND this may take some understanding, some people probably know this about me, but I have a strange way of living with diabetes.
So I go high in the night. Diabetes as is it's want will be more than happy if I stay in bed and stay high, then requiring a morning of regaining control.
Me as is my want need to let my diabetes know that I ain't taking its sh*t. If at any time I can do something to show I'm the boss I will. Physically getting out of bed , going downstairs as much as I dislike it, gives me a sense of achievement, control and being stronger than the challenge.
That's the best way I can describe it. Not sure it makes sense, but it works for me in a lot of different ways .
@becca59 . I do have various methods of transporting kit, for work, days out etc but around the house it all stays in " my specially adapted " insulin draw. Again lady logic leaves me grasping for a ladder to get out of the hole I've dug myself :)
:)

Reactions: becca59

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@therower I just take the pen I'm using with me when I go to bed, it's really no big deal. I can understand the symbolism of going downstairs, and taking control. But there is a far more pleasurable sense of control to be gained from knowing that if that small correction dose doesn't work, I can do another very easily.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can be a little disorganised from time to time :p although since getting a Libre insulin comes to bed in a frio wallet, glucose is always to hand though.

I've had an ok day bloods wise and am low carbing for tea, 2 frozen salmon steaks (eating mums food up) various veg with 60g carbs in rice and 10g carbs in a sauce. living the dream :p

And I can't wait for supper....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I can be a little disorganised from time to time :p although since getting a Libre insulin comes to bed in a frio wallet, glucose is always to hand though.

I've had an ok day bloods wise and am low carbing for tea, 2 frozen salmon steaks (eating mums food up) various veg with 60g carbs in rice and 10g carbs in a sauce. living the dream :p

And I can't wait for supper....

I had salmon tonight with salad, some coleslaw and 5 Hassleback potatoes, daughter cleaned her plate as well. then a small yogurt for me ( but BS was 11 before dinner, because of an earlier hypo, oh rats !)

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did they think it was an allergy pen?

It's possible I guess but I'd already shown him the meter, needles etc. in the other pocket and said the pens were insulin. One of the stranger reactions I've encountered.

Reactions: Cumberland

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rubbish week. BG levels have had a mind of their own. And feel like I am coming down with something! :(

On another note- should I be getting rid of insulin cartridges after a month? (Once I have taken them out of the fridge?)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CranberryIce . Vials of insulin kept out of the fridge at room temperature are good for 28 days after this time they may lose their effectiveness.
Above 80 degrees Fahrenheit it's advised to keep vials of insulin cool. Trio bags, refrigerators etc.
Personally I always get through insulin vials well within 28 days.
If, heavens forbid I find myself somewhere warm ( 80+) I " attempt " to keep my insulin cool.

CranberryIce

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CranberryIce . Vials of insulin kept out of the fridge at room temperature are good for 28 days after this time they may lose their effectiveness.
Above 80 degrees Fahrenheit it's advised to keep vials of insulin cool. Trio bags, refrigerators etc.
Personally I always get through insulin vials well within 28 days.
If, heavens forbid I find myself somewhere warm ( 80+) I " attempt " to keep my insulin cool.

Thank you! Will start tracking when I get a new cartridge out of the fridge....

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Rubbish week. BG levels have had a mind of their own. And feel like I am coming down with something! :(

On another note- should I be getting rid of insulin cartridges after a month? (Once I have taken them out of the fridge?)
Vials last 28 days once taken out of the fridge

Reactions: CranberryIce

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
6.9 and showing downward trend on Dexcom. Half banana and peanut butter. Off to bed. Let's see if the sugar fairy will be happy with my bedtime snack:mad:

Reactions: karen8967

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Mel dCP . You ladies;););) always bringing logic to everything :).
I use refills for bolus. Having a pen upstairs in bedroom would see it only used when needed in the night. I just don't think it would get used in its entirety before it's use by date ( 28 days ) . I hate waste and having to dump anything unnecessarily, hence just keeping a pen upstairs, for me would raise more issues than it solves.
AND this may take some understanding, some people probably know this about me, but I have a strange way of living with diabetes.
So I go high in the night. Diabetes as is it's want will be more than happy if I stay in bed and stay high, then requiring a morning of regaining control.
Me as is my want need to let my diabetes know that I ain't taking its sh*t. If at any time I can do something to show I'm the boss I will. Physically getting out of bed , going downstairs as much as I dislike it, gives me a sense of achievement, control and being stronger than the challenge.
That's the best way I can describe it. Not sure it makes sense, but it works for me in a lot of different ways .
@becca59 . I do have various methods of transporting kit, for work, days out etc but around the house it all stays in " my specially adapted " insulin draw. Again lady logic leaves me grasping for a ladder to get out of the hole I've dug myself :)
:)

I can kind of see your reasoning. Mine is that I won't get out of bed for diabetes ;) A bladder is one thing but diabetes can get stuffed! I use the refills too, but do several corrections overnight and early morning - I don't get through a whole one in a month though. Although it's a little wasteful, it's less so than a disposable pen, I figure. But I'm vnot ray wobbly on my feet at night, and have fallen before, so that's always a worry.

Lovely Mexican meal with the fam tonight, I'm cruising at around 8 with a unit and a bit of Novorapid on board, so should be ok overnight. Let's see if the alarms I've set on my MiaoMiaow work if I go too far out of range...

Sleep well, all x

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've always kept my in use insulin in the fridge, no-one's ever told me not to and I've had Lantus seem not to work after being left out a couple of days, Humalog I keep in a frio and that's only since getting the Libre, before that it sat on top of the Lantus pen all day, so when I used the basal I'd leave that pen op top reminding me I'd taken it.

Which is good until it goes wrong and then it's a late night waiting to see if you spike before taking it or going to bed.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all. 8.7 to start the day.
@Mel dCP . I guess it highlights how we all control the diabetes stuff differently.
Nighttime corrections are few and far between for me, between 4 and 10 and I'm happy.
Take my hat off to yourself for having the commitment to do multiple corrections throughout the night.

Have a good day everyone.