Type 1'stars R Us

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C Husband loves a slice of haggis. Fried not boiled!

Aaw, glad to hear it, Becca!

Haggis often gets a bad slate as a mush of oatmeal and offal, but when it's done right, it's an artisan product.

Keep an eye open for MacSweens. Most of the main supermarkets stock it. They've got the spices and texture just right.

The label on this one amused me - hadn't thought of using it as a spag bol!

dedhaggisl.png

Last edited:

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
Good morning everyone woke to a hypo of 2.8 fingerprick confirmed this @7.30 treated and now 4.2 with a banging headache oh the joys i find i have more hypos in the cold weather than when its warmer anyway have a great weekend everyone whatever you may or may not be doing

Take it steady sweetie x

Reactions: karen8967

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I vaguely recall someone had suggested different versions for the various types but nothing seemed to come of it.

I recall a recent thread where a poster told the new recruit he'd tagged daisy for her, I quote, "excellent guide to low carbing" which pretty much sums up the forum approach.

Don't get me wrong, LCHF is a perfectly viable choice for T2 and in some instances T1, but what riles me is the way it is far too often presented as the only option for T1, as if any other option was a stupid one.

The language used is quite insulting at times. If I choose to pop into an Italian cafe near my house for some olives and a 50g panini, many of the extremists would say I'm gorging, or binging, or carb-addicted, or a sugar-slave or the worst, "carb-grazing", as if I'm some docile, passive sheep who has been led astray by an evil food industry, instead of a grown adult who is capable of making rational choices. It's only a frickin panini!

The saddest thing is when we see posts from recently dx'd T1s who feel they have failed or fallen off the wagon if they eat what most of us view as a perfectly normal manageable meal.

Well said

Some of the extremist low carbers went all heavy on me when I said I ate a banana at breakfast once

In fairness some responses were fine but a few of their replies felt like I was being attacked

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaw, glad to hear it, Becca!

Haggis often gets a bad slate as a mush of oatmeal and offal, but when it's done right, it's an artisan product.

Keep an eye open for MacSweens. Most of the main supermarkets stock it. They've got the spices and texture just right.

The label on this one amused me - hadn't thought of using it as a spag bol!

View attachment 30620

My husband swears by MacSweens haggis and black pudding. He says they are the best. I cook them but am afraid they don’t float my boat.

Reactions: kitedoc

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I vaguely recall someone had suggested different versions for the various types but nothing seemed to come of it.

I recall a recent thread where a poster told the new recruit he'd tagged daisy for her, I quote, "excellent guide to low carbing" which pretty much sums up the forum approach.

Don't get me wrong, LCHF is a perfectly viable choice for T2 and in some instances T1, but what riles me is the way it is far too often presented as the only option for T1, as if any other option was a stupid one.

The language used is quite insulting at times. If I choose to pop into an Italian cafe near my house for some olives and a 50g panini, many of the extremists would say I'm gorging, or binging, or carb-addicted, or a sugar-slave or the worst, "carb-grazing", as if I'm some docile, passive sheep who has been led astray by an evil food industry, instead of a grown adult who is capable of making rational choices. It's only a frickin panini!

The saddest thing is when we see posts from recently dx'd T1s who feel they have failed or fallen off the wagon if they eat what most of us view as a perfectly normal manageable meal.
@Scott-C I took yours and other more experienced colanders thoughts on board and have not fallen off the wagon but have loved having a curry with naan. Stuffed belly but great, no cider, couldn't find room and had some crisps earlier!!

Reactions: kitedoc

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Scott-C I took yours and other more experienced colanders thoughts on board and have not fallen off the wagon but have loved having a curry with naan. Stuffed belly but great, no cider, couldn't find room and had some crisps earlier!!

That's good, Sue.

I think that sometimes newly dx'd T1s come onto this site, which is mainly populated by T2s just because there are more T2s, read all their posts about low carbing and assume that it is par for the course and T1s should do that too.

T1s have much more latitude with carbs than T2s do, because the biology is different.

One of the unfortunate, and inaccurate, memes which comes across from T2 input is that if a person is not low carbing, they must be stuffing their faces with doughnuts and 18 inch pizzas.

So not true. It's all about eating in moderation, thinking about portion sizes, keeping it manageable.

Doing it that way puts a whole lot more options on the table than the low carbers make out.

We can have a slice of cheesecake (40g), a bowl of ramen (60g), some Tesco Finest flapjack biscuits (12g each, my current favourite!), go to a Chinese buffet, have a naan, without getting anywhere near the imaginary horrors which Bernstein enthusiasts say will happen if we breach his deluded, misguided Law of Small Numbers.

Hmm, that's like my 3rd or 4th rant today, so signing off now!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all, great news @porl69!

Complete change of subject - I love jacket potatoes but hardly ever eat them these days as they're high GI and carb-loaded. I don't strictly low carb, but defo lower than I used to. I can't remember where I read it again lately that cooking, cooling then reheating high carb food like jacket potatoes, pasta, rice, hugely reduces the absorbable carb content, so last night I thought I'd give it a try. Admittedly I upped the fat content by adding cheese, bacon and sour cream, but - no big spike, just a gentle slide up, which I almost always experience in the evening regardless of what I eat, which I then corrected, I guess you'd call it a split bolus. Woke at 6.8 and I'm happy with that. So I think one of my favourite foods, if I cook it then reheat it, is back on the menu!
@hh1 I don’t have pasta and rice as often as I used to but I find that if I cool and reheat it the rise in my BS is not too bad.

Reactions: kitedoc and hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hh1 I don’t have pasta and rice as often as I used to but I find that if I cool and reheat it the rise in my BS is not too bad.
Thanks for that, @Daphne917. I have a favourite pasta meal which I cook in bulk and freeze in portions. It never seemed to make too much impact on my bg - admittedly I do only eat fairly small amounts of pasta, but nevertheless, less effect than I'd've expected - which of course makes sense now.

K

Knikki

Morning all.

Yes early and on a Sunday, might upload the graph from yesterday/last night will scare the pants off some :hilarious::hilarious:

Just had a mooch around the forum at some of the more "interesting" discussions and really some need to get a life :rolleyes:

Off out shopping later, both web and in the real world.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Likewise earlyish for a Sunday. I need to get on and do some things that I've been avoiding 'cos I simply don't want to do them, but they have to be done. Boring stuff like paperwork :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Picked wife up from her night shift at the hospital. She’ll be off bed soon so I’ve gotta keep the noise down. Luckily daughter wants some DIY stuff doing, so I’ll be off around there soon. Added bonus is I get to see the grandkids:).
As for the diabetes stuff, well I’ve had a few days where everything seems a little to easy. Parameters on Dexcom are high 10.1 and low 4.1. Somehow I’ve only gone high once in the last two days , been low three times.
Have a good day whatever you find yourself doing.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Morning all.

Yes early and on a Sunday, might upload the graph from yesterday/last night will scare the pants off some :hilarious::hilarious:

Just had a mooch around the forum at some of the more "interesting" discussions and really some need to get a life :rolleyes:

Off out shopping later, both web and in the real world.
Hi @Knikki, Rant posts are booming. Congrats, you have launched a trend. The Rant arrow is upwards.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, not much to tell. Needed a correction overnight, but nothing major, going to try practising the same song all day, on my guitar, well not all day really, just in ten minute intervals, throughout the day, with long gaps in between. See if that works.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@Scott-C i second (or is that third ... or fourth) your sentiment.
I have been contemplating suggesting an alternative to daisy1’s introduction message to highlight the difference between the types. For now, I sometimes just jump in, welcome the victim ... I mean new member... and remind them about only 10% of people with diabetes have type 1 so expect only 10% of a all encompassing diabetes forum to be relevant to type 1.
Perhaps I should also mention that 10% of the discussions on the forum are not relevant to people with type 2 but perhaps that sounds too passive aggressive... or maybe just aggressive.

Can I supplement your rant with my own micro rant about the comments regarding exercise not being any use for weight loss? Anyone would think exercise is a complete and utter waste of time (and energy) and the only possible reason for doing it is the misconception that it causes you to lose weight.
I would never suggest anyone needs to do as much exercise as I do but, unless you have a medical condiction which completely prohibits you from moving your backside from the sofa in front of the tv (whilst reading the Daily Express), there are benefits of exercise as this website explains here.

One of the benefits of exercise for me is taking out my frustrations. I think I better get back on the treadmill.
Hi @helensaramay, well said. A doctor friend of mine used to say that weight loss/maintenance was a 75% about food and 25 % about exercise with the proviso that these figures were not set in stone, but that both were needed.
I saw an impertinent poster at one weight loss clinic which made a very good point (modified for decency). "You do not get the posterior you would like by sitting on it."

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yes, I'm around, twitter is keeping me busy, but my blood sugars are quite boring at the moment, so I haven't really got anything very interesting to say. Good morning everyone.

I'm around too and I managed a good morning this morning :)

Reactions: Knikki