Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Scott-C i second (or is that third ... or fourth) your sentiment.
I have been contemplating suggesting an alternative to daisy1’s introduction message to highlight the difference between the types. For now, I sometimes just jump in, welcome the victim ... I mean new member... and remind them about only 10% of people with diabetes have type 1 so expect only 10% of a all encompassing diabetes forum to be relevant to type 1.
Perhaps I should also mention that 10% of the discussions on the forum are not relevant to people with type 2 but perhaps that sounds too passive aggressive... or maybe just aggressive.

Can I supplement your rant with my own micro rant about the comments regarding exercise not being any use for weight loss? Anyone would think exercise is a complete and utter waste of time (and energy) and the only possible reason for doing it is the misconception that it causes you to lose weight.
I would never suggest anyone needs to do as much exercise as I do but, unless you have a medical condiction which completely prohibits you from moving your backside from the sofa in front of the tv (whilst reading the Daily Express), there are benefits of exercise as this website explains here.

One of the benefits of exercise for me is taking out my frustrations. I think I better get back on the treadmill.

I concur with you about exercising, I love to go out for walks, when I am feeling okay. I put on 4 lbs over Christmas and didn't do a lot, tbh I didn't feel like it. But, I am been out walking to my local parks and it does wonder's emotionally and physically too, I have lost 1, 1/2 lbs and enjoyed being out and about. Exercise does help, whether in a gym, or gardening, DIY or brisk cleaning, it all helps :)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Many apologies if I’ve banged on about it here and annoyed people. I

No apologies needed, Mel!

You have always been totally moderate and balanced in your approach, and understand it is one option amongst many, all of which are viable.

It's the numpties who insist on their way being the only way to the exclusion of all others who bug me, and you are patently not in that category.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm a happy bunny today. For the last seven days, my T1 buddy has actually been playing by some sort of rules for a change.

Corrections aren't randomly dropping me more than intended, meals aren't shooting me sky high.

Apart from a couple of modest dips to just below 4, a couple of 8s and 9, and one brief visit to 11, I've been 96% in a 4 to 8 range for seven days now. Hurrah, and lashings of ginger beer!

I have absolutely no idea why it's decided to take a vacation to Stable Land but here's hoping it will carry on.

Apart from tweaking my basal a bit, I've not made any major changes, although I've recently discovered Tesco Finest Fruity Flapjack Cookies, so, who knows, maybe the oats in those have some sort of low gi buffering effect.]
You realise that, as a diet controlled, low carbish T2 I shouldn’t be anywhere near them let alone eating them, but have you found the Tesco Granola Slices yet? Not sure what effect they will have on your BS though!!!

Reactions: Knikki and hh1

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents, enough already with the forum and other member bashing. That names aren't named doesn't make it OK. I remind you all of our Community Ethos and Rules: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/ Rule A3 covers it.

Where anyone sees what they consider to be inappropriate behaviour or attitudes, then their course of action should be to hit the Report button. That is the duty of all members.

If you want or expect a change in the forum, then please play your part in that.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You realise that, as a diet controlled, low carbish T2 I shouldn’t be anywhere near them let alone eating them, but have you found the Tesco Granola Slices yet? Not sure what effect they will have on your BS though!!!

Ooh, haven't seen those before, will maybe keep an eye open for them, thanks.

It's one of the big differences between T1 and T2 management. I can totally understand why T2s steer clear of grains, but many T1s find that the absorption pattern of some grains, like oats, barley, brown rice, buckwheat match the time pattern of injected insulin quite well, so, counter-intuitively, they can help stabilise bg, so can make a lot of sense for us.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
DIY ing all done.
Granddaughter in tears:(. Last night her mum got an electric organ out for her to play with/ on. Well by 10.30 this morning we had a full rendition of ....heads, shoulders, knees and toes..... My daughter decided to video the achievement and post it on to Nanna for when she got up from bed. The playing of a “ b “ note instead of a “ d” at the end broke her heart and caused floods of tears. Spent the next 10 minutes explaining about Rome:):) then reverted to more simple examples of things taking time.
Fortunately the grandson decided to have a go on the organ. On listening to his rendition of heaven knows what we all decided that the granddaughter had nothing to worry about:).
@Scott-C . I think that rates as a perfect week. Long may it continue.:)

@helensaramay . Can almost smell your bread cooking. Cardio day for me today. Enjoy your workout :)

Hands over hanky for Grandaughter. Reassure her I can do that after 40+ years piano/organ playing and it's always when it matters!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Organ playing all done for the day. Impromptu deep theological discussions with 5 and 9 year old church regulars after church. As well as, um, dismantling the piano so we could inspect the inner workings thereof. (It's OK, I can put it all back together again, though there was some consternation from a couple of newer to our church people who don't know me very well, yet.)

Blowing a massive hoolie here too, and has been all day. I was sure I was going to get blown into the reservoir I was walking past earlier as I was walking off my usual Sunday morning higher than desirable levels.

However, I've just remembered I've got to go back and check the children's work cupboard as I blithely agreed we had plenty of the red insulating tape, cocktail sticks and tin foil for next week. Well, I'm pretty sure we do... I know I looked in the bag when I was last in that cupboard and remember thinking we'd be fine. Still, I've got plenty of time to sort it if I'm wrong. (We had a red insulating tape crisis some years ago and I bought enough to last us until I retire as organist, in about 20 years time or so, as it seemed there was none in the whole of this city that year. So, when I found 10 rolls of it on special offer...)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Organ playing all done for the day. Impromptu deep theological discussions with 5 and 9 year old church regulars after church. As well as, um, dismantling the piano so we could inspect the inner workings thereof. (It's OK, I can put it all back together again, though there was some consternation from a couple of newer to our church people who don't know me very well, yet.)

Blowing a massive hoolie here too, and has been all day. I was sure I was going to get blown into the reservoir I was walking past earlier as I was walking off my usual Sunday morning higher than desirable levels.

However, I've just remembered I've got to go back and check the children's work cupboard as I blithely agreed we had plenty of the red insulating tape, cocktail sticks and tin foil for next week. Well, I'm pretty sure we do... I know I looked in the bag when I was last in that cupboard and remember thinking we'd be fine. Still, I've got plenty of time to sort it if I'm wrong. (We had a red insulating tape crisis some years ago and I bought enough to last us until I retire as organist, in about 20 years time or so, as it seemed there was none in the whole of this city that year.)
What are you making? Assuming it’s not to fix the piano.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
PTDC3416 (2).JPG
What are you making? Assuming it’s not to fix the piano.

Piano is all back together again!

Christingles is what we will be making. I am not responsible for getting the oranges or dolly mixtures. Just ensuring the non-perishable component parts are available. Picture now added, along with the camels... I now know far more about coloured egg boxes and where to get them than anyone really needs to know. But, for brown camels, we need Morrisons egg boxes, mostly.

At least, I hope we're having dolly mixtures. I had a seriously angst-laden crisis the year we had mini jelly babies. (Before I was diagnosed, this was.) I mean, just where does the cocktail stick go?!? It didn't matter where it went, it was Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

This is why I can't use jelly babies as hypo fixes - I worry too much about whether or not it's head first, feet first, all at once... Far less angst with dextro tablets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knikki

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just want to have a little delayed boast! Forgot to tell you on Friday, won the off the wall game at the end of our swim fit session. Had to swim about 10 metres with a paper cup on head filled with water. (Did it on back and sculled.) Empty it into bucket on pool side, fullest bucket wins! A talent I didn’t know I had lol!

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No apologies needed, Mel!

You have always been totally moderate and balanced in your approach, and understand it is one option amongst many, all of which are viable.

It's the numpties who insist on their way being the only way to the exclusion of all others who bug me, and you are patently not in that category.

Thats what I love about this topic on the forum sensible well thought out posts, knowing that we are all different and react differently the carbs, insulin we take. No one judges us on here and no one tries to force their idealogy on others. Sure we may not always agree, but it is done in a fair and balanced way.

Keep up the excellent work on this topic guys. I have learned so much in past 6 months or so

D

Deleted member 308541

And Queenslanders (like @Tipetoo ) would be outraged that bananas were maligned"!!
First post in this thread, Queensland bananas are great that why we are called banana benders amongst other names.

However, they were my downfall several years back when they were fifty cents a kilo. I ate enough of them to be put on metformin, you can see the banana bump in this graph. I have not eaten any since although my partner does with relish.

obB4VJc.jpg

K

Knikki

Well had another interesting day with the graph below, ignore the numbers as it seems that Etch Sketch is reading anything between 2 - 3 points out.

jfw392.jpg

See?

Needs a little more work but I have almost managed to draw a lob sided pair of boobs :happy:

K

Knikki

@porl69 in response to the "lets see the graph"

Here you go this was me yesterday, well most of yesterday and while I felt OKish as I was not doing very much other than a bit of reading and listening to vinyl I did not do a great deal to get things back up. Yes the occasional chocolate (well a few), jelly babies which did not a lot. :)

smd9i9.jpg

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki . A lovely Etch a Sketch. Struggling to remember the last time I saw boobs that shape. Not sure about the big yellow spot. I wouldn’t want to be around if that went “ pop “:):).

Reactions: jackthejoker

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Well had another interesting day with the graph below, ignore the numbers as it seems that Etch Sketch is reading anything between 2 - 3 points out.

jfw392.jpg

See?

Needs a little more work but I have almost managed to draw a lob sided pair of boobs :happy:
You need to join the “Libre Line Art” group on Facebook with that :D

No emergencies today, blood seems pretty stable, although it dropped a bit an hour or so ago. Seems to be the time of day, so will have a look at tweaking my basal if it does it again tomorrow. Just had a fabulous seafood madras with spicy roasted cauliflower for dinner, might treat myself to a lump of chocklit in a bit. Still vacillating over wine... and cheese.

Reactions: Alison54321 and hh1

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Almost time for bed and I’ll go there full of envy of the 98%! One day I’ll get there tho it’s not as if I’ve not had enough practice. I’m just pleased with the etch telling me I’ve an HB of 6.5! I get usually caught by what I’m doing and forget I need to keep an eye on it. No etch a sketch boobs here but I do have a very good profile, complete with chin, neck, eyebrows and a rather fine nose. Just wish I’d got the picture sharing sorted ☹️
Up early (for me) for more mud pies tomorrow and again on Thursday for more silversmithing - much pleasure!
But for now, after a busy busy day, night night colanders, arty graphers and teabags.