Type 1'stars R Us

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
First post in this thread, Queensland bananas are great that why we are called banana benders amongst other names.

However, they were my downfall several years back when they were fifty cents a kilo. I ate enough of them to be put on metformin, you can see the banana bump in this graph. I have not eaten any since although my partner does with relish.

obB4VJc.jpg
Ha! @Tipetoo, A cautionary tale with a new term, the upward banana bend courtesy of Queensland. Now if we could only adapt that across to all the other problematic foods without discouraging non-diabetics !!

Reactions: Knikki

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Quiet day of limited exercise today unless you count kneading dough and tinkering in the garden.
Main achievement of the day was checking myself into 4 flights. You’d think I would remember my passport number by the end of the day but nope still had to check it.
All airlines asked for date of birth to be filled in via drop down lists. Most lists started in 2019 and went backwards. One started in 1904 and went forwards. I’m looking forward to sharing that flight with a group of 115 year olds.
Unfortunately all flights are for work ... and all this month. I guess I gotta get my EU trips in whilst I can ... or before I get my Irish passport application sorted.
I bet none of the 115 year olds will have met someone who has recorded a minus BSL reading. The airlines should give you an upgrade to first class!! Is it time to polish up your Irish accent as well?

Reactions: Kim Possible

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Great article @Mel dCP ! There is one management plan for each day of the week! Though if I were to choose ... for appearances Mr Kahn would be the winner (but who am I trying to kid)!!! That many carbs per day - you gotta be dreamin' right?

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Almost time for bed and I’ll go there full of envy of the 98%! One day I’ll get there tho it’s not as if I’ve not had enough practice. I’m just pleased with the etch telling me I’ve an HB of 6.5! I get usually caught by what I’m doing and forget I need to keep an eye on it. No etch a sketch boobs here but I do have a very good profile, complete with chin, neck, eyebrows and a rather fine nose. Just wish I’d got the picture sharing sorted ☹️
Up early (for me) for more mud pies tomorrow and again on Thursday for more silversmithing - much pleasure!
But for now, after a busy busy day, night night colanders, arty graphers and teabags.
Hi @Fairygodmother, for me it might take another 50 years to flatten the Pyrenees but what else is a hammer and chisel for!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
You need to join the “Libre Line Art” group on Facebook with that :D

No emergencies today, blood seems pretty stable, although it dropped a bit an hour or so ago. Seems to be the time of day, so will have a look at tweaking my basal if it does it again tomorrow. Just had a fabulous seafood madras with spicy roasted cauliflower for dinner, might treat myself to a lump of chocklit in a bit. Still vacillating over wine... and cheese.
Regarding cheese and wine.
IMG_3113.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
First post in this thread, Queensland bananas are great that why we are called banana benders amongst other names.

However, they were my downfall several years back when they were fifty cents a kilo. I ate enough of them to be put on metformin, you can see the banana bump in this graph. I have not eaten any since although my partner does with relish.

obB4VJc.jpg

;)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Afternoon all, taken me two coffees just to catch up! Had a pretty intense first responder refresher training day yesterday, so didn’t have chance to pop in. Out on call this afternoon. Bloods been relatively dull over the last 24h, slight dip after dinner as the Novorapid was actually quite rapid for once - that was easily corrected with a couple of glucose tabs. It was a 19g carb meal, and I took 1.85u for it - half up front as I started to eat and the rest over an hour to avoid just that issue. Looks like I should have sone it all over that hour, maybe. Was fabulous though, tagine spiced roasted cauliflower on a bed of vegan shwarma kebab “meat” and konjac rice seasoned with ras al hanout.

I’ve stopped visiting the rest of the forum, unless I’m tagged into a post with a tech or T1 issue. Even as a Bernstein enthusiast and low carber myself, I’ve had my back put up by the attitudes of some people. Many apologies if I’ve banged on about it here and annoyed people. I’ve just been so pleased to find something that works (for me) and makes me feel good, that I’ve wanted to share it with people I like :) In the last few months, I’ve started teaching in schools, doing my first responder stuff and actually going for walks - I never felt well enough mentally or physically before I changed my food. I was literally disabled by swinging BG levels and how sick they made me, and I’ve got a whole new lease of life. Oops, there I go again. Sorry. I’m getting really fed up with the constant vegan-bashing (I’m not a vegan), and perpetual deification of bacon though.

In other news, I’ve ordered a waterproof phone case so I can take it swimming with me on a belt and still have my BG on my watch. I shall look very James Bond, albeit much fatter and more purple. After the crashes I’ve had when briskly walking, I need to monitor this stuff closely until I know what my idiot body is doing. Another science experiment. Le Sigh.

@Scott-C - that breakfast looks fantastic! I had smoked salmon and cream cheese (goat) on homemade bagels :)
Hi @Mel dCP, I hope my rants have not unsettled you. I do tend to write as i see it and maintaining a balance of views whilst relevant I assume to the forum is not always helpful to people personally. The BSLs and HBA1Cs are what matter most and a happy lifestyle, so all power to you. And it is not as though you do not have enough to worry about with new horizons and the multiverses on top of that!!

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Ladies and gents, enough already with the forum and other member bashing. That names aren't named doesn't make it OK. I remind you all of our Community Ethos and Rules: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/ Rule A3 covers it.

Where anyone sees what they consider to be inappropriate behaviour or attitudes, then their course of action should be to hit the Report button. That is the duty of all members.

If you want or expect a change in the forum, then please play your part in that.
Thank you @DCUKMod, and i confess to being one of the transgressors. What would be useful, if it is possible given the much appreciated time and work undertaken by moderators, is some feedback to a person who makes a report. That way I would hope the reporting process could be better used, those who report may learn to be more discerning about what they might report or not, phrase their report better and know how useful or not their reports were.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @Mel dCP, I hope my rants have not unsettled you. I do tend to write as i see it and maintaining a balance of views whilst relevant I assume to the forum is not always helpful to people personally. The BSLs and HBA1Cs are what matter most and a happy lifestyle, so all power to you. And it is not as though you do not have enough to worry about with new horizons and the multiverses on top of that!!
Not at all, mate - I’m not always as confident as I seem and get worried that I’ve overdone the evangelising for a thing that works for me. I have come to rely so much on the cameraderie and support I get here that I don’t want to upset the apple cart. Bernstein is such a marmite character - both in personality and methods. His video stuff grates (tbh it makes my teeth itch) as does his writing style, but I can’t fault how well the protocol has worked for me. Despite a lot of science training and willingness to experiment on myself, I could never match my insulin to a high carb diet, and felt like I was failing for years because I just couldn’t make it work. Cue burnout and near-fatal DKA. Twice. So the relief to find a method that actually does work has been amazing.

I’m in awe of you people that can achieve such good results on the “normal” food you eat - I wonder if the differing speed of our respective insulins in our individual bodies is a factor? I love a robust discussion about it all. And actually, making low carb meals from scratch hasn’t been a massive change in workload for me, because of my allergies I had to do that anyway. Luckily I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen - and the way the Internet has opened up access to new ingredients and recipes has been incredible. It’s been a bit of a “virtuous circle” (isn’t that the opposite of a vicious circle?) - the better I feel, the more energy I have to cook (and do the other stuff), and the better my food is for my BG levels, the better I feel. I’m on an upward spiral :)

I’ve had a fair bit of criticism over the last few years from friends and family for cutting out certain food groups - even when my meat allergies developed. Come Christmas dinner, it was “why not treat yourself to some beef and then just treat the allergic reaction after” - would you say that to a child with a peanut allergy? It’s not much of a treat if it means you have to take drugs to counter the immediate reaction, and then feel horrible for eight+ hours afterwards. For me it’s the same with carbs. Even with the sophisticated tools I have to manage my BG levels, my particular biology means I still end up with spikes and hypos that make me feel disgusting and seriously impact my ability to live my life.

FWIW, that Christmas dinner? I had an entire lobster all to myself. Unfortunately the only tools they had for me to break into it were from the garage, so it had a mild hint of diesel...

FF03D631-68F1-47EF-A066-E3C841C7ECB5.jpeg

Oops, I’ve gone off on one again. @Fairygodmother - what silversmithing are you doing? Always interested to see what fellow metal-bashers are up to.

Quiet day here, no call to teach. Quite relieved to be honest, as my hypo alarm went off at 2am. Checked blood, and was at 5.6, so recalibrated, rolled over.... and couldn’t get back to sleep until about five minutes before my 0630 alarm went off. Thank goodness for my Kindle, eh?

Hope you all have a non-eventful one today, in the best possible way ❤️

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Good morning all.
@Mel dCP, I’m only in the very first stages of learning. I had a one day treat last year and made a ring, with a moss agate stone, and now I’m consolidating skills by making a bangle and some earrings. It’s slightly frustrating having to concentrate on skills and not yet being good enough to go from a design in my head to a finished piece (I’m limited by getting the basic stuff right first) but I’ll get there. I don’t think I’ll ever be great at it as I’m so used to the way clay can be built, changed, manipulated, and paint layered and worked on, which suits my ways of working.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning everyone, I had a hypo yesterday afternoon, that went on for ages, I tried the not over treating it thing, but I had to in the end. The spike after it was a bit annoying, but not the end of the world, though I had to do a few corrections overnight, to stay in target. No idea what caused it. my day time basal is only 6 units at the moment, so relatively low. I'll just have to put it down to that diabetes gremlin.

Silversmithing sounds interesting @Fairygodmother

K

Knikki

FWIW, that Christmas dinner? I had an entire lobster all to myself. Unfortunately the only tools they had for me to break into it were from the garage, so it had a mild hint of diesel...

Arh! Lobster ala diesel, its a Michelin Star award for you ;)

Reminds me of one of the Black Adder shows from the trenches when Black Adder was asking Baldrick "what's for dinner" he went through a list which included "Rat o Van a rat that's been run over by a van" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

@Mel dCP I admire your drive to find something that works and works successfully and your ability to run a very tight ship with tight limits on your Etch A Sketch and as it works for you, you should share it. :pompous:
While I might not be totally sold on Keto, Low Carb etc I am always interested to hear about it and lots of it looks rather scrumptious, even flavoured with diesel/WD40 ;)

Like many things to do with this wonderful condition we all love to share, we all do/deal/handle this in different ways and there is no one right way to do things, we are all different and all wonderful in our own ways and weather we realise it or not, we all pick up little hints, tips and nuggets of info that helps each and everyone of us along.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Fairygodmother

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, woke to a respectable 5.6, everything as usual except change of injection site, up to 8.5 and rising to 10.5 an hour later. I've mentioned before that I know have lipohypertrophy and I was sure I'd missed those areas - now I don't know whether it's because I hit the wrong spot or I've just got the wrong colour socks on or it's Monday. Who knows? I'd just like to know where to inject for lunch :(