Insulin
FB_IMG_1538210776359.jpg

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good on you @Mel dCP , the tinker sounds like he really needs a diabuddy. And probably a pump too. I wonder what his absorption of food is like.? From what I have read about CF they usually need to take coated tablets containing digestive enzymes but mainly for digesting protein and fat. And are susceptible to recurring lung infections.
In the forum- epilepsy.com, Dilantin and high blood sugars - some with diabetics noted high BSLs when taking the anti-convulsant Dilantin and in EJMO 2018 2 (3) 186-187 author Ozer - The effect of Levetiracetam on Insulin/Glucose level a letter to editor about a case where this anti-epileptic medication (Levetiracetam) caused repeated hypos in a T1D patient.

That’s some useful info, thank you. Yesterday he dropped from the twenties to the twos in less than half an hour, poor lad. Must have felt terrible.

Very quiet CFR shift today. We decided to log off and three and the siren went off at 1459. Ambulance beat us to it, so we went to Asda instead. Home now. Sugars been running a little low, and then I realised I hadn’t set my pump to “busy” from “lazy”.

Hope you’re all having a good Friday ❤️

Reactions: kitedoc and Knikki

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay . Me thinks thou do tempt fate young lady.:)
Diabetes and sussed??????? Really?????????
Seriously though I hope things stay as they are with the obsessive spinning you’re doing.
I always like it when I’m not wired up to the Dexcom. Makes me listen to my body more. I believe it keeps me more aware. Usually try to go a week without every month. Fun trying to guess what meter will say at finger prick time.

Reactions: kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I got yoga right last night, on week three. The first week I went high, the second I went low. I hadn’t made any changes to my basal on previous weeks, but after going hypo with walking, I decided to do a temp basal at 50% for the hour before the class, and I was steady at 6mmol or thereabouts. Quite pleased with that. You guys have been so helpful with suggestions for how to deal with this new exercise horror, thank you :)

Reactions: porl69

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Blimey, for a three-day working week I'm sure I've crammed ten days worth of work in... Next week is going to be hell on wheels, but I'm prepared for it, at least.

Which might have accounted for the pre-evening meal bolus changing ever so slightly to finish the last two units in the Novorapid pen and the last three chocolates in the Christmas box of chocolates two of the small church children had kindly given me.

Reactions: Knikki
K

Knikki

@helensaramay A rant? And then runs off? :eek:

That will never do ;):hilarious:

Evening all almost satisfied my chocolate craving with Chocolate Aero Mousse (note that as it has 4 'o' in it, it's therefore zero carb, according to the gospel of @therower) :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: and a small packet of Cadburys Buttons, might still have to hit the Lindor stuff in a minute. :joyful:

Other than that sensor change so that's going to be interesting for next few hours :)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Knikki . Well spotted on the @helensaramay rant. She is teasing us again :). It’s usually homemade culinary delights:).
As an aside. Long story short we had chip butties for dinner tonight. Now I know how this pans out, no matter how hard I try.
But here’s the thing, 3 hrs later and Dexcom is saying 7.4.....naaaaaahhhhhh. Gut feeling this isn’t right. Finger prick with my usual guess whilst waiting proved otherwise. Guess 11.3 actual meter 11.7.
Pleased and annoyed in equal amounts. Pleased I still know me better than the Dexcom does. Annoyed that Dexcom is so far out. Will after to see how it reads over the next day or so.
Anyway the chip butties were delicious ;);)

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
@Knikki . Well spotted on the @helensaramay rant. She is teasing us again :). It’s usually homemade culinary delights:).
As an aside. Long story short we had chip butties for dinner tonight. Now I know how this pans out, no matter how hard I try.
But here’s the thing, 3 hrs later and Dexcom is saying 7.4.....naaaaaahhhhhh. Gut feeling this isn’t right. Finger prick with my usual guess whilst waiting proved otherwise. Guess 11.3 actual meter 11.7.
Pleased and annoyed in equal amounts. Pleased I still know me better than the Dexcom does. Annoyed that Dexcom is so far out. Will after to see how it reads over the next day or so.
Anyway the chip butties were delicious ;);)

Chip butties (licks lips) mmmmm

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just managed to get my back up tester, 3.3! So definitely low now and the libre was showing 3.4 so pretty accurate!

Oddly, I fired up a Libre for the first time this afternoon after letting it bed in for 25 hours? (Forgot I was wearing it.)
My meter. Has been pretty consistant within 0.2 to 0.6mmol.
Scanned & got a mild hypo warning (Glimp app.) of 3.8 got my meter out & it was bang on the button.

But I've been following it by testing from digits on the same arm as the sensor.. Strangely the 3.8 correlation tested from the opposite side..
Blood flow & all that..

@Scott-C remember that magnetic phone holder I mentioned fitting to the A pillar in my van?
The slim metal plate inside the phone case, holding the phone in place also blocks the NFC signal. (Or makes scanning process unstable.) I had to drop the plate down a few millimetres so as not to obscure the scanner.
I thought I'd bought a dud, until I took the phone out the case..

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I think I've got spinning and diabetes with a pump sussed. I've done it three times this week (I am not obsessed, I am not obsessed, I am not obsessed, ...), my end BG reading has been within 1 mmol/l of my start BG and my afternoon BG (a couple of hours after post-spin lunch) has also been good.
One of the advantages of not Libring at the moment is I do not get to see what my BG is doing between finger pricks . It may be soaring and and then plummeting (or the other way around). Probably (hopefully) not and I feel when trying to suss insulin regimes, I need to set myself some parameters and make my targets more aggressive over time.
I plan to Libre up again in a couple of weeks time when I have two days at a conference where my usual testing, exercising and eating regime will be put on hold. After the conference, I will have 9 for 10 days to tweak my spin regime.

Apart from that, I am considering how to put a positive (or at least constructive) spin on a rant that is building up in my head.
I feel there are some lessons which could be learnt and knowledge that could be shared for many people's benefit (including mine) and don't want my thoughts to be seen as criticism.
I think it still has a few days of contemplation before it is ready to share with the world.
Go for it @helesaramay ! You have good thoughts, ideas and a determination to get things right or better. I am all ears, eyes , heart and with undivided attention. And sussing things out is about introspection. Ranting is about expression. A great friend, now deceased, gave me the following advice (which I fail to follow at times) Use the softer word or expression - not 'cut' costs but 'defray' them, speak 'with' rather than 'to', avoid overuse of 'I' and try to eliminate the word 'the' wherever possible. Finally, keep the first sentence of writing short and ensure the first sentence of each paragraph is shortish.
'Nuff said from an under-achieving ranter !!:woot::woot::woot:

Reactions: Cumberland

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
@helensaramay A rant? And then runs off? :eek:

That will never do ;):hilarious:

Evening all almost satisfied my chocolate craving with Chocolate Aero Mousse (note that as it has 4 'o' in it, it's therefore zero carb, according to the gospel of @therower) :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: and a small packet of Cadburys Buttons, might still have to hit the Lindor stuff in a minute. :joyful:

Other than that sensor change so that's going to be interesting for next few hours :)
Hi @Knikki, not surprised about the zero carbs in Aero chockie, it has a lotta air bubbles in it.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
That’s some useful info, thank you. Yesterday he dropped from the twenties to the twos in less than half an hour, poor lad. Must have felt terrible.

Very quiet CFR shift today. We decided to log off and three and the siren went off at 1459. Ambulance beat us to it, so we went to Asda instead. Home now. Sugars been running a little low, and then I realised I hadn’t set my pump to “busy” from “lazy”.

Hope you’re all having a good Friday ❤️
Could he be underweight, slim and doing some injections into the muscle??

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
No worries @Shellback. I am a retired saw bones and have seen a few tragic cases in my time.
Aussie banter is having a yarn or having a yak, or chewing the fat. I cannot think of an exact word equivalent but if it pops into my head I shall let you know !!
the wonders of sleep @Shellback. in Oz banter could be called 'chin-wagging 'and could slide over into the American,' shooting the breeze'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knikki

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
remember that magnetic phone holder I mentioned fitting to the A pillar in my van?
The slim metal plate inside the phone case, holding the phone in place also blocks the NFC signal. (Or makes scanning process unstable.) I had to drop the plate down a few millimetres so as not to obscure the scanner.
I thought I'd bought a dud, until I took the phone out the case..

Can't offer a view till you send me full schematic plans of the A-frame, the exact location of the plate etc etc!

Sorry, have been watching the iplayer box set of Silent Witness...

Back in the real world, yeah, nfc is weak, if you put a bit of tinfoil between your bank card and those swipe-and-pay things in Tesco, it would screw it up, so it's no surprise that the metal plate in the case is messing with it.

Hope you're enjoying libre - it's a revelation, like being let out of a dark cave. Give it a couple of weeks and we'll get you kitted out with a miaomiao, whether you want to or not!

Could be part of your stage act - bass player knocks your libre off, you smash his guitar. Fair's fair...

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Happy Saturday all. Overnight snow here gone. Awoke on a 4.4 on Libre and a 4.6 on bloods. Am still at the not trusting a new sensor stage. Put this one on 24 hours early to try and avoid the crazy bedding in stage. It didn’t make an iota of difference grrr....! Anyway it now looks like it’s behaving. Over all I am sensor lucky and a few days in they tend to be bang on accurate.
Survived yesterday’s trip to previous place of work for the school secretary’s retirement assembly. I really didn’t want to go back, though I had always loved my job and enjoyed the years I worked there very much. Anyway despite my concerns, and the fact that the Adrenalin made levels soar, it went well. I enjoyed chatting to people, but had a smile on my face as I left, knowing I had made the correct decision to retire early. No more politics and the stress of watching young children be pushed to be the result producing robots we as a society seem to want these days. For me young children should be nurtured and be happy and encouraged to be the best they can be. Not a target machine for the benefit of league tables. Errr... that’s my rant over, looking forward to hearing @helensaramays!! Happy days!