1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1'stars R Us

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Robinredbreast, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Alison54321

Alison54321 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion. I was diagnosed in 1976, and all I can remember now about my diabetes management is all the bits that went wrong. I suppose there must have been bits that went right, or I probably wouldn't be here, but I can't seem to remember them.

It's interesting. I suppose we were given so many warnings, and very little recognition given to doing things right, that it's likely that the bad bits will be remembered more than the bits that went right, but it does feel weird.

Anyway, we survived, sadly quite a few didn't, and it's good that it's getting easier to manage, but there's a long way to go.

I just think everyone has to deal with it in their own way, I've had absurd arguments about not eating fruit, and I have my doubts about very low carbs being a good thing over the longer term. But I have reduced my carb intake. a bit, since joining the forum, and getting the libre, or I think I have, though sometimes I calculate, and include the carbs eaten for hypos and think it's probably the same amount. But anyway...................it's an issue that will continue to be debated, for a log time, I suspect.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. helensaramay

helensaramay Type 1 · Expert

For me one of the Libre eye-openers was seeing the BG profile for someone without diabetes.
    "High BG is bad" is drummed into us (and I know am guilty of perpetuating that thought internally) so we think anything above 7 is a problem.
    But until recently, I had no idea what happened to the BG of someone without diabetes.
    Once I realised a pizza raises the Bg of someone without diabetes to above 9, I told myself to stop obsessing about keeping my BG within that draconian 4 to 7 range and enjoy life.

I think the last consultant I saw could also do with a bit of a reality check too.
    At my last review, he looked over my last 2 weeks of finger prick readings and gave me a lecture on the one reading of 13.4. Being a finger prick, we have no idea how long I was at that level but he could see I corrected immediately and all other readings were lower than 10.

At least I see a different consultant each time so, hopefully, won't see him at my next appointment next month.

However, if I do, I will direct him towards my lower insulin use and increased exercise. Especially, as I recently discovered the quickest way for me to get the 2 miles to the local hospital is to run there. I got strange looks turning up at the physio department in my running gear but the problem was my arm not my legs. Although it does tend to temporarily raise my blood pressure which will probably lead to more discussions.

And, whilst we are on the subject of exercise, after overdoing it a little on Sunday and Monday (12 mile walk, death, spin and climbing), I took a break yesterday. But was back on the spin bikes this lunch time. As a result, I was getting a chocolate/sugar craving. Craving handled with some Chocolate Flake black tea . It's a little weird ... but no more than the taste of a tea with a chocolate digestive dunked in it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Colin of Kent

Colin of Kent Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I work in an office, at a sit/stand desk, Mon-Thu 9-5. I have an alarm on my phone for 4.15pm every workday to do a fingerstick so I'm primed for the drive home. So today the alarm goes, and I get 4.9... I do another and it's 5.3. Get in! ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  4. Japes

Japes LADA · Well-Known Member

I did have to laugh once my lovely T2 student had left the room today. I had been checking with the Birthday Students that they still wanted the cakes they'd enthusiastically chosen before the holidays.

"Don't forget a No-Sugar one" sheepish looking T2 Student said when I had finished. I kept a very straight face as he then went on to tell me he was due to have his Hba1c this month, that he knew he'd over-done it before Christmas, and that he'd had a not great one the previous time. "There will always be no-sugar ones when I do the birthday cakes," I assured him.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. drahawkins_1973

drahawkins_1973 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hoorah managed a run. To be honest it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be considering I’ve been drinking too much wine and eating quality street for 2 weeks!!
    My sugars will be through the roof after my runs for a week or so until I get back into a routine. Anyone else see that? Once I’m back running 3 or 4 times a week I’ll be ok but these first 2 or 3 after a break I need a couple units to get me back to normal.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Good feeling @drahawkins_1973 Well done :)

Oddly enough my BG levels have sky rocketed since my run this morning, been hanging around 14 even with big corrections, it's either that or the tummy bug i've got or the cannula set change I did this morning and picked a bad site area. Who knows, going home shortly and will change the set in case it's that.

• Hug Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. drahawkins_1973

Hope you get it sorted Juicyj.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I like mornings for running to the bathroom and then running back to bed @Juicyj you're amazing to go out in the cold

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  9. evilclive

evilclive Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Runs always lower my sugars, as indeed does all exercise. I'll normally run for about an hour, once a week. Other days are cycling for a similar time or walking for longer. I'm going at a steady pace for all of these, not intervals etc.

• Like Like x 5
  10. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Mel dCP they CPs were mentioned yesterday when I went for a pre assessment for the Dafne course starting Mon. It'll be interesting to see how I cope. Not good with numbers

• Like Like x 4
  11. drahawkins_1973

Walking lowers me too, its just a few runs when I’m out of my routine which causes the spike. I’m sure there’s an explanation....or maybe not, it is diabetes we’re talking about after all

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Did another walk today, 3.5 miles - and dropped 3mmol with no IOB - my basal rate at that time of day is usually spot on. So if I do that again, I’ll have to lose a unit of insulin in the hour or two before I start, or just put on a 0% rate for when I’m out. Hmm. Or eat chocolate.

6EEE6508-659B-4F7A-915D-7D38D002BCE0.jpeg

Not much else to report, I’m hoping to be teaching all next week. Out on first responder call tomorrow, be interesting to see what the day has in store!

• Like Like x 7
  13. Knikki

Knikki · Guest

Evening All. very late on parade today :)

Well a strange calm and peace has descended upon me after yesterdays little rant, well until I got to work and tried to config to some stupid software and after that I was basically trying to summon an old one to consume the place in fire and demons...........Didn't work :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

BS wise running on the low side all day, mainly around the 4 mark and sitting at a 7, which is not bad in the over all scheme of things. :meh:

@porl69 I remember the "carb counting" and "exchanges" thing they tried at some point but I can't ever remember using it.

@Colin of Kent Bm Stix? were they the ones you peed on of stuck blood drop on and wait for the colour change? I do remember using the blood ones and, my then other half, was nagging me to test, so I did and was wondering why the colour of the thing was not changing, until she noticed that I was wiping blood all over the container, not the stick, yep was hypoing :rolleyes:
    :hilarious:

On a side note the mention of syringes etc I used these up until 1999 - 2000
    [​IMG]

These were positive luxury compared the glass ones and the other needles. However saying that using these you had to draw up the required amount of insulin from a 5 mil bottle, nothing discreet about it and yes I stood in plenty of toilets using these. You had to because image the rumpus you could create doing it in a restaurant or bar?

Pens and small needles are defiantly the way forward.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #10413 Knikki, Jan 9, 2019 at 7:32 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2019
  14. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I found the action of the plunger smoother than the scraping resistance on the glass models..

But I was caught at college changing room using one of these & the rumour went round I was a "junkie."
    The memory of my "bad boy" rep must have stuck...

I went to a reunion organised on Facebook a few years back. & was told by one attendant I looked well & were glad to see I'd kicked the habit.. I informed them that I hadn't actually "cleaned up, I'm still a diabetic." o_O

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. smc4761

smc4761 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

These new fangled plastic syringes were wonderful when we first got them after years of using glass syringes, which i remember keeping in a hard plastic tube which I had to fill with industrial methalyted spirit. The needles were the size of a small javelin.

Even the insulins has improved dramatically in recent years, from mainly Pork insulin to "human" insulin as it was first called.

When the first blood finger test came out, maybe early 90's to do a finger test we had to use this horrendous contraption

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

@smc4761 ,

I had one of these contraptions.. I couldn't be bothered with it. I used to drive the lancet home by hand.
    My DSN at the time was appalled.. Lol.

I got an infection on my finger whilst traveling through south India.. Back in 1995.? The above technique saved me from serious infection as the puss ran up the side of the didgit.
    Pierce, sqeeze & bathe n bottled water & Dettol.

Not advisable. Seek medical advice.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Gaz-M

Gaz-M Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ahhh the good old fashioned ....................... no not the good old fashioned

• Like Like x 4
  18. Mel dCP

Mel dCP Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had to do just that the other week in a car park in Cardiff. Pod failed and I’d underestimated the amount of insulin in my vial (not enough to activate my new one, looked enough, but hey). I carry a spare pod and one of those very syringes with a 12mm needle in my bag to cover most eventualities. Bit tricky eyeballing just one unit though :D

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

I've said this before on this forum @Mel dCP .

Bearing in mind my personal style & experience makes me a bit of a dinosaur to the more recently acquainted to insulin dependency.
    There's a bit of an "animal" in me wants to draw up insulin from a vial & administer with a gert needle, for old times sake.. :)

... Though never more shall I ever pee in a tin cup. ;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  20. karen8967

karen8967 Type 1 · Expert

Goodnight everyone sleepp well

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook