Type 1'stars R Us

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unless I go to the surgery at 8am and queue outside till half 8 then hope I can get to see a GP in the following 3 hours (I think I need to change my surgery!)

Don't switch to mine then - exactly the same setup.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
That is how I use my self funded Libre.
However, in theory, once your basal patterns are set, it may be harder to justify Libre because you shouldn't be needing to do as many corrections.

I will be doing a bit of pleading today so will see if there is any chance of a Libre. Last time I asked I was told my control was too good but I think this has changed recently.

My control now is the best it has ever been....thanks to the Libre AND the MM. Oh and of course this amazing forum :)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Don't switch to mine then - exactly the same setup.

I feel like poop and am not waiting outside in the cold to wait and see my GP. I will be phoning very shortly to play havoc with them and tell them my diabetes is uncontrollable due to it and I need an emergency appt. Hate using my diabetes to get things BUT this is an exception (isn't it?????)

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You have my sympathy, @helensaramay . I hope you get back on an even keel soon. I've used Humalog in my pump for twelve years and many times it has appeared to have been doing nothing when correcting highs, resulting in very similar scenarios to the one you describe. As you probably know, but I learned only recently, high BG itself causes insulin resistance, so when I'm really high, my correction factor needs to be increased. In terms of 'shelf life', however, my reservoirs nowadays routinely last 11-12 days, as I'm using so little. So I'm inclined to think it's not the insulin that's to blame, but rather my stupid body.

@porl69 - are you finding 130% basal high enough? When I'm ill, I usually need 200%...

Reactions: porl69

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Well after a heated discussion on the phone to the surgery I have to go to my surgery at 8 in the morning and wait for an appt!!!!! I think I will have my BP checked while I am there as well. I need to be at my follow up appt at 9.30. Tomorrow morning is going to be interesting

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@porl69 - are you finding 130% basal high enough? When I'm ill, I usually need 200%...
Just cancelled my 130% as I am back in range! My bloods are hectic overnite and in the morning BUT in the afternoon seems to stabilize and my cough goes then as well. My body being as awkward as it can

Reactions: Colin of Kent

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greeting fellow pumpers ( I can now say that ) and all those on the pen. Well that was a fun session today learning about the new pump

I was given a Minimed 640g and the contour blood test meter and a box with all the gubbins about the size of a small car. There were 6 of us plus 3 partners all squeezed into a tiny room with the DSN and lady from Medtronic so all very cosy

Luckily enough I had spent weeks on Youtube researching the 640 g, I had a fair idea this is what i would get. I thought the training was a bit rushed and they flew threw how to do things then was connected up to pump. So I now have 6 days with pump connected with water dripping into me and been told basically to play around with all the menus etc.

Next Tuesday it is going live day so looking forward to that. NOT.

Having worn the pump for about 5 hours now i can honestly say I dont even know that I am wearing it, so that is good. The tube however is only 2ft long and when in bed at night, I bounce about all over the place, so i am told so this will be interesting.

My initial thoughts are this is complicated and I am going to be very nervous when I am outwith my comfort zone of going to work, sit at desk, go home, eat, sleep. I like to go walking to far flung places where at times I can see no one for hours on end. I am worried about setting rates for when I do this sort of activity.

I am due to go to Outer Hebrides in a month for 5 days where I will walk to remote areas and will see no one all day, if i am lucky, just dont know how I feel about doing this with new pump

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly, I apologise - this is going to be a long one - but I feel the need to download after my annual review.
Feel free to jump over this diatribe or just click on a random rating icon and move on.

My overall impression was "meh". I am not sure I gained much more than what I could get from just looking at my results.

The first topic I bought up was the unreliability of Fiasp.
(I'll tag @karen8967 in case she follows my instrictions above because she said she was interested in this).
The answer was "yeah, you're not the first to say it's unstable."
Then went on to say there is no perfect insulin. Nothing works as fast as we would like but if NovoRapid meant I had to pre-bolus 45 minutes before I ate, that's not good.
Eventually, the DSN suggested I tried Humalog. It is not as fast as Fiasp but more stable and I may react differently to it than I do to NovoRapid.
(OK, so I got something there but not a lot).

The next topic was my pump replacement.
This is likely to be in 3 or 4 months - they have a lot to go through because Johnson and Johnson are stopping their Animas warranty in September which will be less than the planned 4 years.
I will be getting a Medtronic 640G.
I tried to make the case for something smaller for me ... because I am small so unable to hide my pump.
The male consultant suggested I put it in my bra. My response was to look down and point out that would make me very lopsided as "I am small in most dimension and especially that one."
He then went on to blame the CCG for being tight. They only fund one pump and it is one of the cheapest with the features the diabetes team insist on having. But the CCG keep asking to reduce the costs of pumps.
The DSN said she would bring up my request for an Omnipod but is not confident they would make an exception for me.

Finally, I asked about the Libre.
Again, they blamed the CCG and explained the CCG have not provided any resources to do the administration. They have a backlog of training and coordinating with the GPs for the prescription.
This morning, they had a meeting and decided not to prescribe any new Libres until April.
They explained April is when the NICE change should happen but they do not think NICE has provided enough information to clarify how they are going to get more people on the Libre but hope there will be sufficient information to convince the CCG to fund the whole Libre process.
They conceded, I would now qualify for Libre due to my lower hypos sensitivity (but they didn't mention the number of finger prick tests I do each day and the lack of patterns in my readings) if they had not decided this morning not to give out any more,
The onus is on me to contact the DSN in April and ask again.

As for my blood test results, they were all fine. I was told my Hb1AC was "very good" at 48 but I pointed out this is only due to the high number of hypos.
They seemed happy with my blood pressure result which was done as soon as I arrived. But I didn't think it was a trie representation as I had just run there so my resting heart rate was very high and my diastolic rate (the bottom number) was a little elevated.

If anyone has made it this far, thank you for reading. I feel a bit better after putting fingers to the keyboard.
If you gave up a few paragraphs ago, you are not reading this so I can write whatever I want about you ;)

@helensaramay I feel your pain. With regards to Libre, I was very lucky, I went on the DAFNE course last March and since then I got the Libre and I think this was one of the main reasons I got the pump as well. I am lucky in that my hospital has an excellent diabetes centre with some wonderful knowledgeable people

The farce with funding really annoys the life out of me. The technology is there, the benefits are pretty obvious, Scott C posted a while back results from Edinburgh area for people using Libre and HB A1C levels had improved by about 30%. Surely that is a no brainer. problem is they only think short term and dont see the benefits you will get in years to come when you have less complications

Even the Medtronic 640g frustrates the life out of me. I understand that there is a feature called Safeguard, which when used in conjunction with a CGM will stop insulin being delivered when you get to a low set point. It then resumes once you go above that level.

Great we have the technology there to potentially save lives BUT unless you have a CGM it is no use. A bit like having a cabriolet car, but being unable to put roof down

Meanwhile all this is blamed on costs, and I get, that but junkies queuing up for their methadone seem to get that without question:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: Kim Possible

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ helensaramay Am not on a pump, but moved from Humalog to Fiasp about 3 months ago. I agree it is not perfect, but I was blousing for my meagre 10 carb fruit and yoghurt breakfast at least an hour before eating. I would say it sounds similar to Novorapid.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Firstly, I apologise - this is going to be a long one - but I feel the need to download after my annual review.
Feel free to jump over this diatribe or just click on a random rating icon and move on.

My overall impression was "meh". I am not sure I gained much more than what I could get from just looking at my results.

(I'll tag @karen8967 in case she follows my instrictions above because she said she was interested in this).
Then went on to say there is no perfect insulin. Nothing works as fast as we would like but if NovoRapid meant I had to pre-bolus 45 minutes before I ate, that's not good.
Eventually, the DSN suggested I tried Humalog. It is not as fast as Fiasp but more stable and I may react differently to it than I do to NovoRapid.

This is likely to be in 3 or 4 months - they have a lot to go through because Johnson and Johnson are stopping their Animas warranty in September which will be less than the planned 4 years.
I tried to make the case for something smaller for me ... because I am small so unable to hide my pump.
The male consultant suggested I put it in my bra. My response was to look down and point out that would make me very lopsided as "I am small in most dimension and especially that one."
He then went on to blame the CCG for being tight. They only fund one pump and it is one of the cheapest with the features the diabetes team insist on having. But the CCG keep asking to reduce the costs of pumps.
The DSN said she would bring up my request for an Omnipod but is not confident they would make an exception for me.

Again, they blamed the CCG and explained the CCG have not provided any resources to do the administration. They have a backlog of training and coordinating with the GPs for the prescription.
This morning, they had a meeting and decided not to prescribe any new Libres until April.
They explained April is when the NICE change should happen but they do not think NICE has provided enough information to clarify how they are going to get more people on the Libre but hope there will be sufficient information to convince the CCG to fund the whole Libre process.
They conceded, I would now qualify for Libre due to my lower hypos sensitivity (but they didn't mention the number of finger prick tests I do each day and the lack of patterns in my readings) if they had not decided this morning not to give out any more,

As for my blood test results, they were all fine. I was told my Hb1AC was "very good" at 48 but I pointed out this is only due to the high number of hypos.
They seemed happy with my blood pressure result which was done as soon as I arrived. But I didn't think it was a trie representation as I had just run there so my resting heart rate was very high and my diastolic rate (the bottom number) was a little elevated.

If anyone has made it this far, thank you for reading. I feel a bit better after putting fingers to the keyboard.
If you gave up a few paragraphs ago, you are not reading this so I can write whatever I want about you ;)
Thanks for tagging me helen what a load of twaddle are you gonna change to the humalog on the off chance it that it may work better....when i was first diagnosed my bolus was apidra and at first that worked great till it didnt just like this fiasp now its not that its not working its that it seems to go off very quick but is only a quite recent thing i was given a chouce of 4 pumps so will look all of them up on size ease of use etc like you i am slim and wear close fitting clothes so anything bulky would stick out like a sore thumb i bet the consultant who said put it in your bra was a man great result for youe a1c again if you change to humalog let me know how that works xx

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@karen8967 we agreed I would try Humalog but until I had worked out whether it works for me, there would be no permanent change to my prescription.
Unfortunately, the GP permanently changed NovoRapid to Fiasp so, if I want to go back, I have to get the consultant to write to the GP.
Thankfully, I kept a vial of NovoRapid to tide me over until the paperwork is done if/when I change back.
I am away this weekend and torn which insulin to take with me.
I’ll report back when I’ve tried Humalog.
Ive been looking at the ypos pump much smaller than the metrodinic one its fairly new and doesnt have as many features as some but does what it needs to il ask on pump forum for some feedback

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Whilst I can't comment on the pump aspects of your post as I have no experience of them I understand the sentiment of "meh". It reads very frustrating for you as you clearly try to live as normally as possible and excel with diabetes management.

Fiasp isn't a silver bullet, though I wouldn't return to Novorapid and my similar 40+ minute pre-bolus for a breakfast. Although I know little of pumps, I remember there being some discussion about Fiasp being particularly inconsistent in efficacy for pump users when it was first released. I wonder if they ever made any progress on stabilising it for those users like yourselves in future batches.

I hope that you can get a more positive result for Libre come April.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Had my eye screen today. Discovered there was no chance of reading my screen after so bunked off work. Things back in focus now.

Reactions: Kim Possible

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my eye screen today. Discovered there was no chance of reading my screen after so bunked off work. Things back in focus now.

Had that last month. I had to use my phone afterwards to get a lift and had to do it by muscle memory.

Reactions: hh1