Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
@Jaylee - that's brilliant! One of my standby toys is a washing up bowl filled with water and throw a ball in it. Much fun getting the ball out so that mummy can toss it back in again :joyful: Then there's the old favourite - the spray end-bit popped on the watering can and we play rain-showers......

Don't forget the ice-cubes made out of gravy, or with a bit of Bovril in the water (or Marmite). That's a great one for a teething pup, alongside the damp tea towel popped in the freezer and then rolled up to play tug with.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
The other thing we do for our hairy little Shih-Tzu's is put 8 roof slates together to make an oblong on the kitchen or sitting room floor, and then they lie sprawled out on the slates. Sometimes on really hot nights we put them out on the bedroom floor too. Much cooler than carpet or bedding.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee - that's brilliant! One of my standby toys is a washing up bowl filled with water and throw a ball in it. Much fun getting the ball out so that mummy can toss it back in again :joyful: Then there's the old favourite - the spray end-bit popped on the watering can and we play rain-showers......

Don't forget the ice-cubes made out of gravy, or with a bit of Bovril in the water (or Marmite). That's a great one for a teething pup, alongside the damp tea towel popped in the freezer and then rolled up to play tug with.

We tend to fire up the engine on this puppy. Front & rear aircon.. ;)

Also a great private "office" to inject too. :)

image.jpeg

Reactions: Knikki and WuTwo

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee that is one cute dog! Despite being 9 1/2 now, mine still has no sense of pacing herself regardless of the weather. Because I have neither the strength nor the inclination to carry her home if she runs till she drops (yes, it has been known) I always carry water if it's warm out and keep her under control if I can see her overdoing it. That very snazzy neckerchief might be a good idea for her...

Reactions: porl69 and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee that is one cute dog! Despite being 9 1/2 now, mine still has no sense of pacing herself regardless of the weather. Because I have neither the strength nor the inclination to carry her home if she runs till she drops (yes, it has been known) I always carry water if it's warm out and keep her under control if I can see her overdoing it. That very snazzy neckerchief might be a good idea for her...

Thanks.

He's about 16/17? & still a bit keen & pulley from the outward, then understandably loses momentum on return..
The kerchief thing came in water proof zip bag, inside another plastic resealable canister?
Pre dampened too..
Most odd, i was expecting to soak it like a Frio.

Reactions: porl69 and WuTwo

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Dizzy has arthritis and can't climb upstairs (or down) or onto the sofa or bed, so he does the huge eyed thing and one of us carries him around like Lord Muck. Bless him, I remember him jumping around like Zebedee when he was a young dog. Still.we're happy to help - he's brought us such joy :)

Reactions: hh1 and Antje77

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My parent's used to have a very energetic and playful Norfolk Terrier. He was a cute, fun and laid back dog that was great with kids. When he wanted to play, he would grab one of his toys (all the better if it included a squeak or a rattle) and ask for us to throw or play tug with him ... regardless of the weather.

Unfortunately, he had a heart defect which meant that excess play would result in him passing out for a few minutes. But as soon as he came around he would want to play again ... until he passed out, again. It didn't appear to bother him but, understandably, it would bother my parents so, for especially frenetic times like when we were opening Christmas presents (who knew wrapping paper could be soooo exciting?) he had valium. They rarely used this because it took away some of his personality.

My sister's husband had a black lab that did that. (Over 23 years back.) I looked after it for a while whilst they were on a break.
She advised me that if the dog passed out, stay with it & it will come round.. Yeah right!?
One day it just keeled over in the field. & sure enough, 3 minutes later.. i't was right as 9 pence..

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@helensaramay I love Norfolk and Norwich terriers - really sturdy little chaps.

But, my heart is lost to the comedians of the canine world - Shih-Tzu. Enormous fun and super little companions. We keep saying that one day we might get a rescue of a different small breed but there are so very many Shih-Tzu looking for loving homes....

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep dropping today, trying to think of a foolproof way to go to sleep safely. Think I'll eat crisps before sleeping, (bought them for this purpose today) as I quit eating them before bed because they always make me rise through the night, and hope for the best.
Still in doubt what to do with my long acting tonight. On Tresiba so I might postpone until tomorrow morning even though that will screw up everything for days.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I'll eat crisps before sleeping, (bought them for this purpose today) as I quit eating them before bed because they always make me rise through the night, and hope for the best.

My wife tells me that when she was little, she'd eat her crisps in her sister's bed to avoid getting scratchy crisp bits in hers.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My wife tells me that when she was little, she'd eat her crisps in her sister's bed to avoid getting scratchy crisp bits in hers.
Your wife must be a very wise woman. I don't have a sister so I'm afraid I'll have to sleep in the scratchy bits.

edit: I do have dogs, though (3 plus 2 sleepover dogs) and they all sleep in my bed so with luck all the scratchy bits get eaten :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Opted for 25% less basal to avoid 3 days of getting things right again when skipping altogether. And I'll go all out on the crisps and count it as a win if it makes me go high tonight :)

Reactions: porl69

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning all - hope you've all had a restful night. Sitting with my first mug of tea of the day catching up on the thread and wondering why I needed less sleep today.

I rather fancy some eggs, bacon and mushrooms for breakfast so I think I'll get to cooking soon. :hungry:

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning! Been awake since 5:30am. Breakfasted in bed and now sat catching up. We have a fantastic view out of our bedroom window, but cannot see a thing due to thick fog!
Date day today and planning a trip to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park.So it better sort itself out.
Been in the blue on my Libre for 36 hours-nail biting!
Time for another cuppa me thinks. Have a good Thursday all.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Already had several emails from the boss which I am ignoring until I get to the office.

Aside from that - brilliant night's sleep on new mattress. Both of us agree it was the best thing we've bought in a long time. Mind you our old one was a lot older than 10 years, and I gather you're supposed to change them every ten year.

I have breakfasted, am half way through the coffees and wondering what the day will bring. I have no actual plans for the afternoon at all - it's more a wait and see kind of day.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Morning all, smooth night here, although I expect to go through the roof any moment. Off to Malvern Quit Show today, having a day off teaching!

Woss a Quit Day please? A show about giving up something?