Type 1'stars R Us

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Lunch was totally yummy, and the cracker dough is having a nice rest in the fridge before I attack it with my trusty rolling pin,

Also, when they're done, I have a new pot of caramelised onion hummus. Oh my!!

Aside from that, the weather ain't great but it is lovely being at home.

Reactions: kitedoc

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
giphy.gif

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve got one, actually. A proper Russian Kalashnikov, all legally deactivated :D

Just been called an effing see you next Tuesday by a twelve year old...

Why am I not surprised.................on both counts!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I’ve got one, actually. A proper Russian Kalashnikov, all legally deactivated :D

Just been called an effing see you next Tuesday by a twelve year old...

Just slap him when no one is looking :)

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
It's drying up outside and the sun is starting to shine. Yay!

If I wasn't going to be headed upstairs for a shower soon I'd go out and play :joyful:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do love my Libre. But I really don't like it telling me I'm 3.0 when a finger stick says 4.2. I know they read too low in my case, I know everything is fine, but still the danger-red numbers almost make me grab the sweets.
Fingers crossed my first date with my internist next month (we don't really do endo's around here) won't be all about those non existent hypo's if she wants to see my Libre graphs. We only have 10 minutes after all.

Reactions: porl69

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

@Antje77 Why does the Libre run so low, when your blood is actually OK? I haven't ever seen a Libre and don't know how they work.

Reactions: Knikki

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 Why does the Libre run so low, when your blood is actually OK? I haven't ever seen a Libre and don't know how they work.
I don't know. Mine tend to be between 0.6 and 1.5 lower than a finger stick, which is usually fine.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because Libres do not work with blood, unless you catch a capillary or two when you attach them, they work off the interstial fluids (yes spelt wrong :rolleyes: ) so generally have a lag time of 15-20 minutes. They are useful tools for working out trends and what your bloods are doing overnight for example, but most of the time they lie. o_O:arghh::hilarious:

I can see a few diabetics getting into trouble with their consultants over false libre readings. “It wasn’t me, it was my libre”

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thing is, Ive had a Libre read LO for a couple of days but yet bloods have been in the 4-5 mark so if a consultant looked at the graph and started to lecture me on hypo's who would they believe? Guess you would have to be armed with corresponding BSL readings as well.

But considering how consultants seem to think that Libre will solve all the problems, there might be a bit of a discussion.

That's not to say that some would blame the Libre ;)
When I first met my consultant and I had the libre then, on my graph I was spiking very badly but the bg level was around 13-14mmol/l mark, but on the libre it was 16++. My consultant wasn't happy, but I just let that one slide because I did do a finger prick tests for it but the libre graph is adding more to the drama. :hilarious: I appreciate consultants who prescribe it, giving our fingers a short break and more data to learn about our control. But the accuracy is so questionable. :arghh:

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I think, given that level of inaccuracy, that Libre would cause me more stress than it might ease. Guess I'll stick with stabbing my fingers :happy:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
All this talk of Libre inaccuracy. My left hand fingers just pricked 10.1, right hand 8.7
Just had another go, left 10.6, right 9.2
Despair, how can anyone decide on what to bolus with such wide swing a couple of minutes apart?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the Libre more accurate when my bg is "in range" and more accurate when I can calibrate it against me rather than a factory cut out. Glimp (and other apps) provide this capability.
However, the key thing with Libre is not the value: it is the trend which you do not get with finger pricking.
For me, I get the best results when I combine Libre and finger pricks.

Sorry, not had time to catch up with all the chat today. Too busy holidaying.

Hope all are well(ish) and no one is too soggy. It's sunny and low 20s here.
I agree that libre is accurate in the in range figures, anything too low or too high is like the libre is on drugs and doesn't know what numbers to give.
You could have at least invited us as well, right?
it's been cold and wet - my bf and I are two frozen potatoes. :hilarious:
But enjoy your holiday! :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thing is, Ive had a Libre read LO for a couple of days but yet bloods have been in the 4-5 mark so if a consultant looked at the graph and started to lecture me on hypo's who would they believe? Guess you would have to be armed with corresponding BSL readings as well.

But considering how consultants seem to think that Libre will solve all the problems, there might be a bit of a discussion.

That's not to say that some would blame the Libre ;)
When I do a fingerstick I always put the result in the little comment box on the Libre app as proof I wasn't hypo (or only by 0.2 mmol) and to have a record of the differences for myself.
And it will depend on the consultant if she gets to see my readings, after all, they're mine, as I have to self fund.
I might need the Libre readings to try to prove I'm not hypo all the time, though, when she sees my hba1c. Which is a bit of a mess with the libre telling her I'm hypo 8 to 12% of the time...

You'll probably hear more about this before my consult. Consults make me nervous, which is why I requested them to be only once a year as long as things look good. But in a month the year will be over, so I can spend the next 4 weeks thinking up horrific scenario's :wacky:

Stupid, as I've met the internist once before, to ask for tests for T1, and she seemed very friendly and sensible so I really have no reasons to worry. and I'll likely tell you everything went just fine on july 11. I'm an idiot sometimes.

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I do a fingerstick I always put the result in the little comment box on the Libre app as proof I wasn't hypo (or only by 0.2 mmol) and to have a record of the differences for myself.
And it will depend on the consultant if she gets to see my readings, after all, they're mine, as I have to self fund.
I might need the Libre readings to try to prove I'm not hypo all the time, though, when she sees my hba1c. Which is a bit of a mess with the libre telling her I'm hypo 8 to 12% of the time...

You'll probably hear more about this before my consult. Consults make me nervous, which is why I requested them to be only once a year as long as things look good. But in a month the year will be over, so I can spend the next 4 weeks thinking up horrific scenario's :wacky:

Stupid, as I've met the internist once before, to ask for tests for T1, and she seemed very friendly and sensible so I really have no reasons to worry. and I'll likely tell you everything went just fine on july 11. I'm an idiot sometimes.
If anyone had to meet my consultant, you'd A) request to be seen once a year if you're not doing bad, B) bite the bullet and take whatever he has to say with a pinch of sugar. He is reasonable to some extent, but he completely disregarded that cleaning is an exercise and because I didn't plan it, I did go hypo but I did treat it, but still continued to drop. and C) Do a poker face with him :hilarious: