Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Train line is flooded. Good job I knew sugars were falling and grabbed a sandwich. Already 45 mins late and not even out of London.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All this talk of Libre inaccuracy. My left hand fingers just pricked 10.1, right hand 8.7
Just had another go, left 10.6, right 9.2
Despair, how can anyone decide on what to bolus with such wide swing a couple of minutes apart?

Blood is never one constant level through out your body, they’re all in the same ball park bolus from the average, and next time only do one test, unless the result feels inaccurate - does anyone else play the guessing game to see how close you think you are to actual BG ?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP is it really worth it? The work not the AK47
Well kind of. It’s the only work I could get at the time (years of self employment and parenthood meant no references - (my previous employer had died of old age!), and I happened to get taken on by this agency who were so desperate for people with a science background and some teaching qualifications that they didn’t seem too bothered, personal character refs were enough. The pay isn’t bad for what’s effectively five hours or less a day of pupil time, and I’m saving hard for uni. They sent a very experienced teacher to the horror school I went to yesterday - big burly bloke with 30 years teaching problem kids under his belt. And even he said it was beyond a joke there. Kind of glad it’s not just me that said that!

Ooof, I'd reply with "you too" :hilarious:
I replied by sending him to isolation :D
I can see a few diabetics getting into trouble with their consultants over false libre readings. “It wasn’t me, it was my libre”
Yup. Mine often says I’m dead. But my consultant does by my calibrated Nightscout data, and is quite happy with how I do things. Not sure how he’ll react to Looping though, but I figure it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. In an ideal world he’ll love it, be really interested, and give me a Dexcom instead of my Libre, but I think I’m being a bit optimistic there... :rolleyes: I’ve actually found the longer I use them, the more reliable they’ve become - with the occasional exception. Either they’ve improved their calibration, or my body has got used to them and just ignore the filament now.

Day proved to be quite entertaining in the end. I think twelve pupils in total got put into isolation from my lessons - we spent lunchtime googling the current alignment of the plants and moon phase to see if there’s something going on, as most of the staff have had horrendous lessons. One lad concerns me a bit though - he had one of those neoprene wrist braces on, said he’d fallen down the stairs. Not been to the doctor or anything, but his hand looked really pale and was freezing cold - he couldn’t wiggle his fingers or grip. I told him I was training to be a paramedic and that he really needed to get it x-rayed, so hopefully his parents will take him. Passed it up the safeguarding chain too, just in case. Hopefully I’ve done some good.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well kind of. It’s the only work I could get at the time (years of self employment and parenthood meant no references - (my previous employer had died of old age!), and I happened to get taken on by this agency who were so desperate for people with a science background and some teaching qualifications that they didn’t seem too bothered, personal character refs were enough. The pay isn’t bad for what’s effectively five hours or less a day of pupil time, and I’m saving hard for uni. They sent a very experienced teacher to the horror school I went to yesterday - big burly bloke with 30 years teaching problem kids under his belt. And even he said it was beyond a joke there. Kind of glad it’s not just me that said that!

I replied by sending him to isolation :D

Yup. Mine often says I’m dead. But my consultant does by my calibrated Nightscout data, and is quite happy with how I do things. Not sure how he’ll react to Looping though, but I figure it’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. In an ideal world he’ll love it, be really interested, and give me a Dexcom instead of my Libre, but I think I’m being a bit optimistic there... :rolleyes: I’ve actually found the longer I use them, the more reliable they’ve become - with the occasional exception. Either they’ve improved their calibration, or my body has got used to them and just ignore the filament now.

Day proved to be quite entertaining in the end. I think twelve pupils in total got put into isolation from my lessons - we spent lunchtime googling the current alignment of the plants and moon phase to see if there’s something going on, as most of the staff have had horrendous lessons. One lad concerns me a bit though - he had one of those neoprene wrist braces on, said he’d fallen down the stairs. Not been to the doctor or anything, but his hand looked really pale and was freezing cold - he couldn’t wiggle his fingers or grip. I told him I was training to be a paramedic and that he really needed to get it x-rayed, so hopefully his parents will take him. Passed it up the safeguarding chain too, just in case. Hopefully I’ve done some good.

Well you go girl ;)
From previous graphs, I think my consultant was concerned that I wasn't taking insulin and I'm not doing anything about my hypos. I wanted to explain but I was like well, I'll watch him be very concerned. He is a nice guy, but such a poker face. He let me go home with a bag of goodies and hoped for some improvement in 4 months time.
Wow, 12? That is a group of nice kids.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP - I have the greatest respect for anyone who does agency/cover work as I know I couldn't do it, or at least, not for long.

I do deal with students with, shall we say, interesting conditions and needs, I'm high on the list for being sent to trouble-shoot for behaviour issues in a crisis as my Main Colleague and I are known as a formidable team in this kind of work, (we divide and conquer almost instinctively) but on a day to day basis, I far prefer to deal with my own students because I'm with them almost all of the time. I can move around areas of the campus if that's my job (and it was to start with), but I way prefer it not to be!

Also, I probably have an extra soft spot for my current lot because they've been with me through the whole T2 diet and meds "controlled" to LADA and insulin process, and they just accept this as my "thing".

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP - I have the greatest respect for anyone who does agency/cover work as I know I couldn't do it, or at least, not for long.

I do deal with students with, shall we say, interesting conditions and needs, I'm high on the list for being sent to trouble-shoot for behaviour issues in a crisis as my Main Colleague and I are known as a formidable team in this kind of work, (we divide and conquer almost instinctively) but on a day to day basis, I far prefer to deal with my own students because I'm with them almost all of the time. I can move around areas of the campus if that's my job (and it was to start with), but I way prefer it not to be!

Also, I probably have an extra soft spot for my current lot because they've been with me through the whole T2 diet and meds "controlled" to LADA and insulin process, and they just accept this as my "thing".
Supply teachers do get a much harder time of it - you get plonked in a completely new school and don’t get time to find out where the toilets are, let alone familiarise yourself with the behaviour process or learn which kids are likely to kick off. We tend to get the lowest ability classes too, as schools keep their “proper” teachers for the brighter kids because they’re so ruled by their league table rankings. And of course learning difficulties sometimes come with behavioural problems, as you know. Combine that with kids who feel like they’ve been put on the scrap heap already, because they’re only being put forward for foundation level exams and can only get a D at best, and it’s not surprising that they cause issues. I’ve got really fond of some of the kids in my Friday job share, a few are desperately unpleasant individuals but we’ve got some real loveable rogues too. But I’ve only got five weeks to go :)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
20 years ago me and the teacher, my now sister in law (long story!) were assaulted by a 7 year old. He kicked me in the posterior, threw a chair at her and threatened us with a pair of scissors. I lifted him up, dragged him down the corridor and threw him in the heads office. Luckily he was only small and I couldn’t have given a monkeys what anyone did or said to me. I say to this day I would have gone to court over it. He was suspended for 3 days. In my 20+years as a TA it was all about the poor kids that were behaving like this and how to help and manage them. The 99% of children cowering and worried to come to school. Well, all that was important was that they did well in their SATS. The world has gone mad. @MeldCP you did the right thing. Leave management to sort it.
Re the Libre. It is about having faith. Having tested myself on a Libre and 3 different meters at the same time and got 4 wildly differing results which do you rely on? Well after 5 years hopefully I can also use how I feel. When you start talking about .5 of a difference it is splitting hairs. It is about trends. In the past week I have tested my bloods once, just to check the ball park accuracy 15 minutes before the Libre went on line. (I don’t use any extra gizmos) It was pretty accurate. Whose to say how accurate those glucose readings are. As I am funding myself, and hardly ever requesting my 200 glucose script prescription I am saving the NHS money. And my HBA1C is going down.
As an aside the weather on the ISLE of Mull has been amazing! #Runs and hides!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Life is so very difficult. How can we be anything but kind?” (The Buddha)

No animal commits suicide. If you eat, wear or use any part of that animal, know that it died kicking and screaming to satisfy your hunger.

Hi,

I've witnessed a cat towards the end of it's life (to put a human action on it.) go on "hunger strike," refuse water & no matter how comfortable they are made, move to the coldest part of the house in a clear action to quicken up the process of demise..
I believe that if an animal has had "enough." Then it should be granted humanly..

Most species have an instinct for self preservation. (Developing skills not getting caught as prey is one of them.)
Misadveture normally gets them caught under a bus..

Bit cheery for a wednesday evening. But I do believe that some species do (by instinct) attempt to speed up the "inevitable," rather than wait & suffer further..?

Reactions: porl69 and Knikki

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thing is, Ive had a Libre read LO for a couple of days but yet bloods have been in the 4-5 mark so if a consultant looked at the graph and started to lecture me on hypo's who would they believe? Guess you would have to be armed with corresponding BSL readings as well.

But considering how consultants seem to think that Libre will solve all the problems, there might be a bit of a discussion.

That's not to say that some would blame the Libre ;)
@Knikki if I had a sensor reading that far our I'd be on to Abbott asking for a replacement

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends, a bit of a late night discussion but it’s going to sound like I’m complaining - I saw my consultant on Tuesday 11th May and he prescribed sensors and Fiasp. So I don’t think he caught on or understood the extent of my issue. When we were discussing the sensors I said I don’t know if it’ll help me recognise that I’m going hypo because it doesn’t alert you, he said the sensor will help prior to it dropping so I was okay, etcetc see you in 4 months. Tonight was that issue, I went to sleep at 9.9 with a stable arrow and it’s a good BG to sleep, right? I woke up 4.5 hours later at 1.8.
Okay I will idenity why I’m low - It was either my fiasp was too much for dinner, which I calculated it to be correct or there was still little bits of Fiasp on board when I went to sleep. Tresiba was taken at noon yesterday so it can’t be Tresiba’s fault. But what I’m trying to get at is there was nothing inbetween 9.9 and 1.8, I woke up extremely hungry.
I had hope leaving my consultant’s office that my hypo awareness will come back and things will get better. But I question my consultant’s way of thinking for the things he prescribed. I’m grateful nonetheless, Fiasp is pretty cool.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could anyone tell me what their favourite finger pricker is? I haven’t found one that I liked and if I ask my dsn on friday, do you know if I can ask her for one? Or is it another GP trip to ask? Or does the consultant have to write a letter to the GP again?

Reactions: Robinredbreast

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
Ugh! Good morning guys. It's damp and dark'ish here and I don't wanna go!

Good thing though - nice new batch of tofu so my scramble will be yummy. And it's not like I'm at work all hours.

Got to hunt out the sleeping bags today for son and d-i-l. He has a gig at the weekend which will warrant a sleepover in the car if he's to drive safely, and we keep the camping kit in out loft. If we can find them today they can hang over the upstairs banister railing for a freshen up. (Too wet for outdoors).

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again, I didn't sleep after my hypo but BG settled on 9.1 and I'm waiting for breakfast to be cooked. I had a few strawberries while I'm waiting. It's been raining for ages, anyone else cold? I'm a freezing potato with my iced coffee :hilarious:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Blood is never one constant level through out your body, they’re all in the same ball park bolus from the average, and next time only do one test, unless the result feels inaccurate - does anyone else play the guessing game to see how close you think you are to actual BG ?

Yes I do.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi,

I've witnessed a cat towards the end of it's life (to put a human action on it.) go on "hunger strike," refuse water & no matter how comfortable they are made, move to the coldest part of the house in a clear action to quicken up the process of demise..
I believe that if an animal has had "enough." Then it should be granted humanly..

Most species have an instinct for self preservation. (Developing skills not getting caught as prey is one of them.)
Misadveture normally gets them caught under a bus..

Bit cheery for a wednesday evening. But I do believe that some species do (by instinct) attempt to speed up the "inevitable," rather than wait & suffer further..?

@Jaylee can you tell me where and when my quote came from, is it part of a post, or a reply to another member's post ??

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morning everyone, having a cuppa before I get ready for work, dull and dark outside.
Awoke on a high BS this morning, don't know what the heck is going on :(
Have a great day guys, with happy levels too.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello again, I didn't sleep after my hypo but BG settled on 9.1 and I'm waiting for breakfast to be cooked. I had a few strawberries while I'm waiting. It's been raining for ages, anyone else cold? I'm a freezing potato with my iced coffee :hilarious:

I'm not cold, fingers are quite warm, which makes a nice change, but, that's probably due to the 'high' this morning..........