Type 2 and fighting induction

abundant_lyfe

Hello all,

This is my first post on the forum. I've been diagnosed as Type 2 for 6 years after struggling with PCOS since my teens.

I am currently 37 weeks into my second pregnancy and fighting the obstetricians to stop being induced next week.

With my first pregnancy I was induced at 39 weeks. I had good blood glucose management throughout with insulin and Metformin. Had an awful time and it ended in an emergency c-section. He was a perfect size at 7lbs exactly.

This time round I have once again had really good control. The diabetic team have signed me off as not needing any more monitoring. The last scan showed baby being the size, right on the middle line for everything. Using both Metformin and insulin again.

The Obs team are still trying to push me into being induced or having an elective c-sec. Seens that they never read my notes or look at my scans! Especially as they keep telling me that I'm gestational!

I understand the risks, a 5 in 1000 risk of still birth as opposed to 1 in 1000 for a 'normal' pregnancy. I've avoided the other pitfalls by good glucose control.

I'm trying to push for them letting me go into labour naturally, or at least go until 40 weeks without intervention.

Had anybody else had a similar experience or persuaded their Obs team to let them go into labour naturally?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
I was happy to do as the consultants said in my first pregnancy, as i relied on them to know best, but like you had a terrible labour after an induction, with the syntocinon causing me to contract dramatically, squeezing the cord and sending my baby into distress so I had an emergency c section.

This time around I am planning an elective c section to deal with the problem of the induction!

I'm suprised that they won't let you go into labour naturally if that's what you really want, have they given you a good reason why? I thought the placenta could fail in diabetic pregnancies leading to stillbirth. If that did happen, could you live with your decision?

At the end of the day it is your body and you don't have to accept an induction if you don't want one.

I know not for everyone, but would you consider an elective c section?

abundant_lyfe

Hi there,

The placenta can fail in all pregnancies, usually through calcification of the placenta. I know that I don't have that as I got them to scan it a couple of weeks ago.

There is a higher instance of this happening, the danger rises from 1 in 1000 to 5 in 1000.

They would very much like me to have an elective section, it's easier for them to fit in with their timetable, but they keep very quiet about the dangers associated with that too.

I'm really hoping to avoid a section this time round as I am a full time carer as well as mother and wife etc.

It's always a tough decision. I'm glad that I am not alone in having an awful time first time round. How far along are you?

abundant_lyfe

Progress! The consultant was finally forced to look at my notes as I want able to make my last appointment due to car trouble.

She agreed that although still a higher risk I was in the lower high risk category and could therefore go to at least 40 weeks.

Having sweeps at home in the hope of bringing on labour in a more natural way.

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Although I am going for induction again this time (3rd baby/3rd induction argh lol) I can totally understand why you want to avoid it! Both my inductions failed and on the 3rd day with both I was taken to delivery suite to have my waters broken then put on the drip, 4 day parlava! My levels has been rubbish from day one and I'm only starting to get good control at 12 weeks, otherwise I would also be going until 40 weeks x

abundant_lyfe

I didn't know I was pregnant until I was around 12 weeks so no idea what my control was. Probably awful. Lol. I had terrible trouble at the end of last year into this year.

Thankfully I was able to get control pretty quickly when I started to be monitored.

Had my second sweep yesterday, still nothing though I am slightly dilated. More than I ever got to with my first.

Really hoping that something will happen before Monday so that I don't have to be induced in hospital again!

Best of luck with your induction when it happens.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could try drinking raspberry leaf tea :grin:
Good luck!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
73 please explain rasberry tea ?

abundant_lyfe

Despite my best efforts we ended up being induced last week at 40 +4 and Baby was born by cesarean the next day. Ended up on the sliding scale this time so baby had hypoglycemia to start of with. That and a couple of other complications kept us in hospital for an extra 5 days but now we are home safe and sound.