type 2 and hypos

aard

Doing some reading and one thin I keep reading is hypos occur in type 2 diabetics who are taking insulin.

But I cant find any info on whether they happen in type 2 who arent taking insulin.

Im not taking insulin, my hb1ac was i think 42 or 45.

However all my life Ive suffered from what i think are hypos, ie every so often i feel really faint and close to collapse. Eating sweets usually instantly revives me.

So now I’m wondering if there’s the possibility Im type 1.
Hard to tell as I cant see much did in type1 and type 2 symptons?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
But I cant find any info on whether they happen in type 2 who arent taking insulin.

However all my life Ive suffered from what i think are hypos, ie every so often i feel really faint and close to collapse. Eating sweets usually instantly revives me.

Hypos in diabetics are caused by various medications (when taking more than is needed) such as insulin or stuff like gliclazide, noting that occasionally people have reported hypos using just metformin - but that is really quite rare as far as I'm aware.
If you are diabetic and not taking medication you will not hypo.

However there are other conditions that can cause hypos like reactive hypoglycemia.

If you were type one not medicated you would not hypo, instead your blood sugar would be high or sky high (noting that if in the honeymoon period it may not be quite so obvious)

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing some reading and one thin I keep reading is hypos occur in type 2 diabetics who are taking insulin.

And do these feelings come on after having earlier eaten a lot of carby foods?
Or not eaten for a long while?
Or exertion?

As well as reactive hypoglycaemia as a (not common) reason, just being lower than you are used to being can make you feel this way even if not actually medically low. The body likes what it is used to and objects if you take it out of its comfort zone (even if it’s actually a healthier zone). Testing at the time it happens will tell you a lot more about what’s happening and noting what preceded it.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi, welcome to the forum, I have reactive hypoglycaemia.
As already mentioned, if you are not on meds, or insulin and been diagnosed with T2.
Then having episodes of hypoglycaemia is very unusual.
You can have reactive hypoglycaemia with T2, but you can have reactive hypoglycaemia on its own as a condition, like me.
There are other types of Hypoglycaemia as well as symptoms that could lead to a diagnosis of many conditions.

Knowing that you are actually having episodes is the first step. You will need a blood glucose monitor to find this out, have you got access to one?

The symptoms you describe could be anything, only tests can give you a diagnosis.

Best wishes.

aard

Hi, welcome to the forum, I have reactive hypoglycaemia.
As already mentioned, if you are not on meds, or insulin and been diagnosed with T2.
Then having episodes of hypoglycaemia is very unusual.
You can have reactive hypoglycaemia with T2, but you can have reactive hypoglycaemia on its own as a condition, like me.
There are other types of Hypoglycaemia as well as symptoms that could lead to a diagnosis of many conditions.

Knowing that you are actually having episodes is the first step. You will need a blood glucose monitor to find this out, have you got access to one?

The symptoms you describe could be anything, only tests can give you a diagnosis.

Best wishes.

thx all replies,

wasnt away hypos could be from other things, i think that may be the case for me, because on the one occasion i was near a blood test strip my blood sugars were normal. TBH its just something Ive always lived with and never thought about until diagnosed with diabetes and reading about hypos and thinking that sounds like what i get.