Type 2 and Low BG

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi. I have Type 2 and low BG is something I never thought I would have. As I have mentioned in past posts, I use Freestyle Lybra from time to time to keep myself honest and to try and prevent myself from slipping back into bad habits.

During lockdown my diet has been poor but about 2 weeks ago I decided enough was enough and since then I've eaten very low carb. This week I've noticed the carb cravings have passed and my constant hunger has subsided again.

At the weekend I put a new sensor on my arm to monitor my progress. Right away I noticed my BG was lower than I can ever remember it being and immediately assumed I had an inaccurate sensor. This evening when I got home from work I felt sweaty, a little shaky and ever so slightly light headed.

I have occasionally had these symptoms over many years and have always put it down to dehydration as a good litre to two litres of water has always put me right again and today I haven't drank much so I was thinking the same.

Attached is a screen shot showing my BG as per the reading ive just taken from the Libra sensor. Now, because of how I am feeling I'm wondering if my BG could really be that low. Also attached is a screenshot of the last 24 hours.

I'd appreciate any feedback, advice or opinions.

Thanks

Alan
Screenshot_20200915-172456_LibreLink.jpg
Screenshot_20200915-180318_LibreLink.jpg

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi,
If the sensor readings are accurate, the lows you are feeling are hypoglycaemic episodes. If I read it correctly the spikes are after meals. Both drops are about three and a half hours after food. The symptoms could also be false hypos, but are you on any meds for lowering blood sugar levels?
Did you finger prick to check if the results are close to the libre readings?

Keep safe

Reactions: Alineden

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Libre's can be highly inaccurate if showing under 5 and anything it shows as being under about 4.5 should be verified with an actual blood test, I've had it show 2.6 when I was 5+

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi,
If the sensor readings are accurate, the lows you are feeling are hypoglycaemic episodes. If I read it correctly the spikes are after meals. Both drops are about three and a half hours after food. The symptoms could also be false hypos, but are you on any meds for lowering blood sugar levels?

Keep safe
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I should take Metformin 3 times a day but frequently forget including today.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
Hi,

Keep safe
I didn't finger orick test as I'm working away from home and didn't bring my test kit with me.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What meals did you have before the lows?
Have you got access to a doctor whilst abroad or a glucometer to see if you are going hypo?
I didn't finger orick test as I'm working away from home and didn't bring my test kit with me.

The only other thing is how long have you noticed that you are getting symptoms? Has being abroad altered your dietary intake?
Are you still low carb?

If you are having continuous low blood sugar levels, you will need to see a doctor.
Having hypos will have an effect on your life and your health.

I have looked again at the readout, and your lows are not below 3.5 and that is on the borderline of going hypo, so it could all be normal for you.
What was your last Hba1c level?

Sorry about the questions, but I can only go on my own experience with Hypoglycaemia.

Keep safe

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
What meals did you have before the lows?
Have you got access to a doctor whilst abroad or a glucometer to see if you are going hypo?

The only other thing is how long have you noticed that you are getting symptoms? Has being abroad altered your dietary intake?
Are you still low carb?

If you are having continuous low blood sugar levels, you will need to see a doctor.
Having hypos will have an effect on your life and your health.

I have looked again at the readout, and your lows are not below 3.5 and that is on the borderline of going hypo, so it could all be normal for you.
What was your last Hba1c level?

Sorry about the questions, but I can only go on my own experience with Hypoglycaemia.

Keep safe
I got my HbA1c down from 74 on diagnosis to 41 over about 9 months but I'm due another blood test and I'm expecting it to be back up after having a poor diet throughout summer.

The symptoms I described ive had occasionally for about 20 years but as I said I always put them down to dehydration. This is the first time I've linked it to low BG.

It dropped slightly below 3 through the night.
Screenshot_20200916-122805_LibreLink.jpg

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It dropped slightly below 3 through the night.
Though the libre does suffer from compression lows (ie if you lie on it it can often show lower than it actually is), so whether you actually went to below 3 is quite another thing - only an actual blood test would show you - as I said best not to trust the libre if it shows as low as 3 :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think that the problem with only having a blood test, it will record that moment and as you say you got your levels down from the previous test. So I would assume that your blood sugar levels if you are having a fasting blood test is that you should be in or just above normal levels.
It will not show what your libre is telling you if it is correct.
Only an extended glucose tolerance test will show what is happening again if the libre is accurate.
It is your fluctuating blood sugar levels that is causing your symptoms, you go relatively high, then drop into low levels. And dropping low will amplify the symptoms.

Depending on what you are eating and drinking, will not help with the symptoms, hydration is important, but if you are going low, there is a reason for it. My Hypoglycaemia is food related, I have an intolerance to carbs, and the only way to stay healthy and feel better is to avoid the foods that causes your symptoms.

Keep safe

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found that unless I inserted my sensor and then waited for 48 hours before activating it, I initially got some extremely low and rather scary readings, mainly overnight:

sensor_immediate_activation_levels.png

However, I never had any physical signs of actual low glucose/hypos, so in my case it was simply an acclimatization issue, though in general my sensor always read around 1-1.5mmol lower than my normal finger pricks. If testing shows it's not just a sensor issue and you're actually having these very low episodes, then as others have said you do need to find out why, and get medical advice if needs be.

Alineden

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really
I found that unless I inserted my sensor and then waited for 48 hours before activating it, I initially got some extremely low and rather scary readings, mainly overnight:

View attachment 44064

However, I never had any physical signs of actual low glucose/hypos, so in my case it was simply an acclimatization issue, though in general my sensor always read around 1-1.5mmol lower than my normal finger pricks. If testing shows it's not just a sensor issue and you're actually having these very low episodes, then as others have said you do need to find out why, and get medical advice if needs be.
As time goes on with this sensor I'm convinced it is reading low and the symptoms i experienced were hydration related. The readings are still coming in low but I have concentrated on staying well hydrated and haven't had a repeat of those symptoms.

Thanks for all the replies. For every new situation it's always good to be able to discuss.

Reactions: Lamont D