Type 2 And Thinking Of Going Low Carb. What Are The Benefits?

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I’m type 2. I’m thinking of trying a low carb diet. It seems to be very popular amongst type 2’s. Is anyone following this way of eating? What are the benefits?

Thanks

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I’m type 2. I’m thinking of trying a low carb diet. It seems to be very popular amongst type 2’s. Is anyone following this way of eating? What are the benefits?

Thanks
For me, the benefits are;

HbA1c of 34 (non diabetic)
no diabetes meds nor statins anymore
lost 24 kilo's/48 pounds that I really, really needed to lose
no more diabetic complications like inflamed toes that never heal
eyesight improved
my foodinsensitivities aren't as horrible as they were
the rheumatism is getting better
the fatty liver also
and the PCOS too
panicattacks aren't as bad/frequent
depression less prevalent
more energy, less fatigue

So yeah... I rather like this way of life. ;)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Thanks

I went ketogenic and would recommend it whole heartedly
Lost just over 100 pounds in weight
HbA1c down from 87 mmol/mol on diagnosis to 28 mmol/mol last test.
Blood pressure normalised
Sleep Apnea gone.
Acid reflux gone.
Mentally more alert.
More energy.
No pills.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reducing Carbs will reduce the amount your BG rises after eating, so ultimately reducing your HbA1c and improving your overall health. It also helps you lose weight (if you need to) which has the effect of allowing your liver and pancreas to function properly, which will also improve overall health.

It is probably the easiest and simplest way to gain control of T2D.

Reactions: Geoffno6 and Amyj30

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, as already mentioned by others and which I agree with, give it a try.
I have normalised my BG, lost almost 5 stone, now sleep much more soundly, have more energy, clearer skin, more alert mentally, I feel well inside and out. This has all been achieved since Jan this year, I was diagnosed in Oct 17, no meds just LCHF way of eating.

Reactions: Amyj30

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Is anyone following this way of eating? What are the benefits?

For me I lost some weight (work in progress), my BG dropped so I was able to stop taking Gliclazide and Januvia, my total cholesterol dropped and that gave me the confidence to ditch the Statins. I certainly don't miss rice/pasta/potato, with bread I just have to be very strict and maybe have some toast on Sunday, I have experimented with low carb bread and should have another go, although quite expensive.

The most important benefit is that I feel in control (mostly) and I feel confident that my type II is NOT going to be the progressive disease that some doctors would have us believe.

I noticed differences in BG very quickly so my 2 week experiment became a lifelong habit. Some might take longer, it depends on how much carb you give up. It could be that starting slow and building up is best for you. Personally I just went cold turkey and as I mentioned, I didn't really miss rice/pasta/potato anyway.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Thanks

Hi there Amy - Lots of us use the LC way of eating to manage or resolve our conditions, and feel very well in the process.

There are lots of resources available to you, but if you go to this link and scroll down, there are various success stories from using the programme. Whether you choose to follow the absolute education programme or just pick your way through to working it out for yourself, the info is invaluable: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

There's also a facts and figures presentation here, from the DCUK COO, demonstrating the impact of the LC Programme. It's a year old now, but the averages are likely to be similar :

And here's a final one, also another from Charlotte again, plus Arjun, our CEO on remissioning:

I would state that not everyone is able to revert their diabetes condition to such a great place, but I hope all the info you've had on the thread, from everyone, can help you understand the power of what we eat and drink, where Type 2 is concerned.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Amyj30 Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) sorted it for me. HbA1c was 82. Blood glucose 16.6 and 157Kg. In 3 months of LCHF ( was very low carb 20g per day then down to 5g) I also do Intermittent Fasting (IF). HbA1c 41. Blood Glucose 4.7 average over 30 days and a 4 stone weight loss.:happy: Off most of my meds now. It worked for me so give it a go:smug:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

The benefits for me (keto - very low carb):

- HbA1c reduced from 108 to 31
- Lost 95 lbs
- Chronic migraines vanished
- Much more energy
- Improved emotional/mental health
- All with no medication

Highly recommend, and in addition to the links provided by others, you might want to check out diet doctor.com

Good luck!

Reactions: Indy51 and Amyj30

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
For me much the same as has already been posted but must add it does not always work for everyone in the same way the only way to know its benefits for you is try it and see after giving it a reasonable go it doesn't help you then ditch it and try something else.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are the benefits?

You get to enjoy loads of delicious nutrient dense, high calorie food (roast meat, eggs, cheese, avocado, nuts, dark chocolate) and possibly flatline glucose levels while confounding most of the diabetes care providers.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I went low carb as soon as I was diagnosed this year, as I really did not want to add metformin into my other drugs and I knew that people had gone into remission on the low carb programme.
It was a struggle at first, a major change from my previous diet attempts.
But my blood sugar results were in the normal range in less than two weeks, and have stayed down.
I started on 100g carbs a day, then down to 85-90g.
You can start at 120g if that is easier, or even as high as 150g at first.
Some people go far lower than 85g, but that works for me.
I don't feel hungry.
I still have a sweet tooth but am learning to cope with 85% chocolate, a square at a time, with coconut flour cakes or stevia sweetened ice cream sometimes.
I was finding the extra cooking a big issue, but have coped with frozen veg, ready chopped onions, prepared salads, etc.

And as a side effect I've lost over 2 stone, which is a miracle for me as I hardly exercise and spend a large amount of time in bed.

Reactions: hankjam

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Amyj30 It occurs to me at this late juncture to inquire what diet you follow at present and what advantages it bestows on you.

To change to a low carb diet implies that at this time you are not following a low carb diet so we need to know what we are comparing LC to in order to say what the benefits there may be if you change.

midwife64

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type.2 but on insulin
Lantus as background 52 units and novorapid each meal.depending.on amongt of cabs eaten. 1 unit per 10 grams
Have seen a lot of.sucess stories from type 2 but.mostly only.on meds
Anyone with positive experience of low.carbs whilst on insulin

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Not quite. I was discussing going on to insulin with my GP when I was advised to try low carb by a Nutritional Therapist. I was advised against it by my previous GP and was dubious but I thought "couple of weeks? What's the harm". It was apparent very quickly that my BG was dropping so low I was able to ditch the Gliclazide and Januvia and avoid insulin.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type.2 but on insulin
Lantus as background 52 units and novorapid each meal.depending.on amongt of cabs eaten. 1 unit per 10 grams
Have seen a lot of.sucess stories from type 2 but.mostly only.on meds

I have no personal experience to offer you, but there have been T2s on insulin who have been able to reduce their insulin use, and some even able to stop using it.

I would say that you must be able and confident in adjusting your insulin dosing to go down this route, as the blood sugar reactions can be quite marked, and not take long.

If you intend going down this route, please ensure you have lots of strips so that you test as often as required, in order to remain safe and comfortable.

Good luck, whichever route you take.

midwife64

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Not quite. I was discussing going on to insulin with my GP when I was advised to try low carb by a Nutritional Therapist. I was advised against it by my previous GP and was dubious but I thought "couple of weeks? What's the harm". It was apparent very quickly that my BG was dropping so low I was able to ditch the Gliclazide and Januvia and avoid insulin.