Type 2 and Type 1 diet help!

Loulai

I am new here, so Hi!

I have blood tests next week to find out my blood sugar levels. I am a walking carb, overweight and suffering from a few type 2 symptoms. I know they are high, as I tested my fasting blood and my post eating bloods with my husbands tester (he is type 1)

It kind of shocked me a bit, so immediately did some research and have opted for LCHF and more exercise. Now what I am asking is my husband will eat what I eat, and he will also follow the LCHF, However I do not want to do him any harm if he is eating LCHF and then needs to dose up on carbs/sugar if he over injects, and become high carb high fat! Should he just stick to his regular diet and me mine? He is overweight so could do with losing a chunk too.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Most T1s count carbs and inject for those carbs, so there should be no problem for him to eat less carbs and then inject less insulin. AS long as he has more than about50g a day, he shouldn't need to count proteins as well as carbs in his diet, which is the only downside that I can see to a T1 going low carb.

In fact, as a T1, going low carb is the easiest way for me to avoid gaining weight, and generally makes it easier for me to control my blood sugars.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new here, so Hi!

I have blood tests next week to find out my blood sugar levels. I am a walking carb, overweight and suffering from a few type 2 symptoms. I know they are high, as I tested my fasting blood and my post eating bloods with my husbands tester (he is type 1)

It kind of shocked me a bit, so immediately did some research and have opted for LCHF and more exercise. Now what I am asking is my husband will eat what I eat, and he will also follow the LCHF, However I do not want to do him any harm if he is eating LCHF and then needs to dose up on carbs/sugar if he over injects, and become high carb high fat! Should he just stick to his regular diet and me mine? He is overweight so could do with losing a chunk too.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

In some respects your husband can share the same meal with you. However he would need to understand his insulin to carb ratio, the working profile of his insulin. & how it can work with what was eaten..?

Personally as a T1 myself in order to do this. Basal test to get the foundations right before messing with the fast acting or changing the diet that he's used to.
& don't be disappointed if he needs to fix the occaisional hypo.. That's just life on exogenous insulin.

Regarding youself. Please take you to a doctor.
A random BG check on a meter isn't always conclusive of a diagnosis of diabetes.

Loulai

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

In some respects your husband can share the same meal with you. However he would need to understand his insulin to carb ratio, the working profile of his insulin. & how it can work with what was eaten..?

Personally as a T1 myself in order to do this. Basal test to get the foundations right before messing with the fast acting or changing the diet that he's used to.
& don't be disappointed if he needs to fix the occaisional hypo.. That's just life on exogenous insulin.

Regarding youself. Please take you to a doctor.
A random BG check on a meter isn't always conclusive of a diagnosis of diabetes.

I was diagnosed with pre diabetes a couple of years ago, Ostrich time since then, until noticable symptoms. (recurring thrush/lost 10kgs without trying/tired and a bit blurred vision) My appointment was made 2 weeks ago, just trying to research a bit before going.

He has been type 1 for 20 years, so he is pretty on top of it, hopefully my diet change will help him lose some lbs too!

Reactions: EllieM

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with pre diabetes a couple of years ago, Ostrich time since then, until noticable symptoms. (recurring thrush/lost 10kgs without trying/tired and a bit blurred vision) My appointment was made 2 weeks ago, just trying to research a bit before going.

He has been type 1 for 20 years, so he is pretty on top of it, hopefully my diet change will help him lose some lbs too!

Mutual marital support on a health drive to loose weight can help.
If your chap is up for it, then why not. He may find his insulin sensitivity could change. (With weight loss.)

But I would also still recomend you get some tests done, especially if you may have skipped a few check ups.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
/lost 10kgs without trying

That rings an alarm bell with me.. don't forget to tell your HCP this.. unexpected weight loss is pretty unusual in T2's.

Edit to add.. if you can see if your doc will do a c-peptide test at the same time as the others to test your endogenous insulin production.

Loulai

That rings an alarm bell with me.. don't forget to tell your HCP this.. unexpected weight loss is pretty unusual in T2's.

Edit to add.. if you can see if your doc will do a c-peptide test at the same time as the others to test your endogenous insulin production.

I haven't not been trying, I did stop snacking and probably did cut my calorie intake without realising looking back over the last few months, and have started walking, so maybe it is just a combination of that without realising, as I am a chunker, but I will of course mention it! Nobody has noticed I have lost 10kgs haha. Do I need to ask for a c-peptide test?

Last edited:

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
10kgs is a lot to lose without consciously either cutting Calories or consciously cutting carbs.
In diabetics, it is only common in those who have impaired Insulin production (various forms of Type 1) or occasionally in Type 2's who are unfortunate to get dangerously high Blood Glucose levels and so lose weight from constant peeing as the body desperately tries to shift the glucose by peeing it out.
That is why it's worth asking for a C-Peptide test to check that your insulin production is normal.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
10kgs is a lot to lose without consciously either cutting Calories or consciously cutting carbs.
In diabetics, it is only common in those who have impaired Insulin production (various forms of Type 1) or occasionally in Type 2's who are unfortunate to get dangerously high Blood Glucose levels and so lose weight from constant peeing as the body desperately tries to shift the glucose by peeing it out.
That is why it's worth asking for a C-Peptide test to check that your insulin production is normal.

When I was diagnosed I lost weight very rapidly. The doctor phoned me immediately after my results telling me to come straight in and he’d make time for me so I guess my bloods were rather high. No idea what they were... I was tested for type 1 and it was inconclusive but the diabetic meds addressed it so type 2. High blood sugars also make my vision go blurry. But as others have said, it’s often a type 1 symptom

but the fact you mention recurrent thrush alongside weight loss certainly sounds like excess sugar in your urine. Definitely need to get that checked out

are you finding you are excessively thirsty at all?

Loulai

When I was diagnosed I lost weight very rapidly. The doctor phoned me immediately after my results telling me to come straight in and he’d make time for me so I guess my bloods were rather high. No idea what they were... I was tested for type 1 and it was inconclusive but the diabetic meds addressed it so type 2. High blood sugars also make my vision go blurry. But as others have said, it’s often a type 1 symptom

but the fact you mention recurrent thrush alongside weight loss certainly sounds like excess sugar in your urine. Definitely need to get that checked out

are you finding you are excessively thirsty at all?
I am not excessively thirsty at all, but that may be because I drink lots all day anyway, I do pee lots but that is nothing unusual, because I do drink lots of fluid each day.

My appointment for bloods and urine is tomorrow afternoon, so we shall see, I will update when I find out!