TYPE 2 CAME OF INSULIN 2 YEARS AGO

lwsjl01

Hi All
Just looking for advice I was on insulin for 10 years , came off it lost a few stone and control has been very good since and was discharged last year from hospital clinic.
I am currently on Metformin 500mg x 4 and Sitaglipin 100mg x 1
I have been having a number of problems over the last couple of months - abscesses etc - however most notably getting up 4-5 times a night - thirst - dry mouth - tiredeness etc.
Went to my GP last week and suggested my control may not be too good however he picked up on another infection and did not check my levels.
I have today bought some test strips and checked my levels which were 13.8 this was 8 hours after a coffee and cereal.
Should I make a further appointment at GP or continue to monitor etc.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi lwsjl01 and welcome to the forum, firstly congratulations on weaning yourself off insulin, I did the same three years ago.

However you cant afford to let your good work slip and your bg level of 13.8 is as Im sure you know not good. I would go back to see your doctor and IMHO you must test regularly in order to find out what foods push your bg levels up, by testing before meals and 2 hours after meals you will start to see a pattern of what your diet is doing to your bg levels.

If your 2 hour after eating (postprandial) test level is more than 1 to 1.5 mmol/L higher than your pre meal test level then you might want to think about cutting back on the carbohydrates in that meal, and if you do that for a week or three you will start to see a big improvement in your bg levels :D

I would say its either that or more medication and maybe a return to insulin.

lwsjl01

Hi Sid Thanks for your your response and helpful advice.I have not changed my diet for a few years hence was suprised at level etc.I have not been checking levels as did not think I had too however will start buying them now and will go back to Doctors.All the best.

lwsjl01

HI
My reading continued to escalate varying between 11.6 after fasting for 20 hours and 23.9 4 hours after eating.
Sleep was more of a problem not just frequent visits to the toilet but difficulty sleeping - passing feelings of nausea etc.
Have had a blood test at GP -waiting for the results , I was given Lanctus solstar yesterday in the interim and advised to take 10ml at night.
I actually took 20ml pm as my levels with no food for 18 hours was 20.5. I then took 10ml at night.
Had a good night sleep only up twice.
My level this morning was 11.8 and has now risen to 16.5 I will have a follow up appointment with GP when I get results.
I also have a tendency to low magnesium generally <0.7 which is being tested for again - could low magnesium be affecting my glucose control. Thanks

Sabrena

Hi quick question
Sorry for butting in but do you live in the uk ? I found out I was diabetic in January this yr and I was given a free monitor to check my bloods by the gp and also given a medical exception card so all my prescriptions are free. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm being spoilt as my gp diabetic nurse have been fantastic with information and advice and a lot of stories I read on here is off people with very little help or advice and having to buy there own equipment I'm just shocked at this I really am. Sorry for this post but I can't get my head round it .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sabrina, you are very lucky to have got a meter and strips on prescription as it is a postcode lottery whether you get them or not as a Type 2, most have to fund them themselves.

You are entitled to free prescriptions as you are on diabetic meds.

Sabrena

Hi Denise
I got my machine on prescription and was told yestaday I would be having a new one as they are cheaper on testing strips . Postcode lottery what a disgrace it really does annoy me no one should be treated any different over a **** postcode .

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lwsjl01

Hi Sabrina I live in UK but test strips were stopped when I came of insulin will hopefuly get all sorted when I get my results back. Thanks