Type 2 Diabetes and Recurring UTI

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Dave/John.

I'm a little puzzled as to why 90 mins is being quoted ?

wallycorker

desperate_dave said:
My BG is now 4.7 which means it hasn't gone down by much.
:lol:

It hasn't gone down by much because it never went up hardly anything at all.

Yes - all bread acts in a very similar fashion - some might be better than others but they will all shove you blood glucose levels up - especially four slices of any type!

I used to tell the health professionals that beans on toast was one of my favourites. "That's great!" - they would all say. Nobody ever asked me how many slices of toast - four would have been my reply! With a full tin of beans! Now I know what was causing my Type 2 diabetes to develop!

They all told me to eat cereals and porridge in particular. I was eating cereals manically by the bucketful thinking it was doing me good and helping my Type 2 diabetic condition. However, since I started testing I now know different!

wallycorker

cugila said:
Hi Dave/John.

Hi Ken,

Quite simply so Dave can try to find his peak reading. He's hardly gone up so it's far more likely to give him some meaningful infomation in this particular situation than 2 and 3 hour readings.

It's something that I did to good effect in the early stages of my experimenting with food. I even went as far as testing at 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120 minutes on odd occasions. All part of a learning process as far as I'm concerned.

John

desperate_dave

Sue,
Is there an alternative I can use instead of bread?

I have about 10 x strips left to tide me over until I pick up my prescription on Wednesday.

Ken,
I don't mind testing at regular intervals if John feels this will be beneficial to me.

See John (going back to your last but one post), this is what is so frustrating - We have the so-called health professionals telling us one thing and then we find out something completely different. The worst of it is we are lulled into a false sense of security that the health professionals know what they're talking about but the cold hard truth is they don't (and they probably don't give two monkeys just as long as they seem to be doing their job).

Dave

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
wallycorker said:
cugila said:
Hi Dave/John.

Hi Ken,
It's something that I did to good effect in the early stages of my experimenting with food. I even went as far as testing at 15, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120 minutes on odd occasions. All part of a learning process as far as I'm concerned.
John

My God John. Do you have any fingers left ??? :wink:

Ken.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi Dave.

Sue not here so here is the answer about Bread.

I know exactly where you are coming from here. I loved a Crusty Loaf with lashings of butter but to get control of my Bg levels I had to stop having it. No sandwiches anymore either. :(

What I do now is buy the low carb bread mix from Fergus and make my own. It works out about 4g carbs per slice and is very filling. I like it, but it is an aquired taste.

You could also try the LowCarbMegastore site which does mail order and look at the range of stuff there. There are several alternatives which are very low carb.

Here is the link to the bread page, check out the rest of the site.
http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/bread

Hope that helps.

Ken.

desperate_dave

This is weird. Now my BG reading is 5.1 and I haven't had anything to eat or drink since my English brekkie. Sorry John, I've kinda lost track of the time so I don't know exactly how long it's been since my last BG result, but I hope this reading still helps.

Dave

PS My fingers are already starting to resemble a second-hand dart board! :lol:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Dave.

I don't know about desperate I think it is more like befuddled. I should give it a rest if I was you. Get a cuppa, put your feet up and just relax. You'll be getting a headache..... :wink:

Ken.

wallycorker

desperate_dave said:
This is weird. Now my BG reading is 5.1 and I haven't had anything to eat or drink since my English brekkie. Sorry John, I've kinda lost track of the time so I don't know exactly how long it's been since my last BG result, but I hope this reading still helps.

Dave

PS My fingers are already starting to resemble a second-hand dart board! :lol:
Relax - It's all fine! It doesn't really matter about the times.

To summarise - your breakfast this morning did hardly anything to your blood glucose levels.

wallycorker

cugila said:
My God John. Do you have any fingers left ??? :wink:

Ken.
Ken,

I've very soft hands - like a baby's - despite carrying red-hot steel around the steelworks all my life.

Largely, I use two fingers the little finger and the one next to it on my left hand. Despite that I've no problems whatsoever - you'd find it hard to see where I'd been. I only ever use setting "1" on the pricker and never hardly change the needle - i.e. I'm almost always using blunt needles. Despite all that. I can't understand all the fuss that some people refer to as far as finger-pricking is concerned. We're bred tough around these parts!

As regards testing, one of my first test runs was every hour throughout the day to check out what happened. I remember telling the nurse that on the DESMOND course and I'll leave you to imagine her reaction! She still might be on the ceiling! :lol:

desperate_dave

cugila said:
Hi Dave.

Sue not here so here is the answer about Bread.

I know exactly where you are coming from here. I loved a Crusty Loaf with lashings of butter but to get control of my Bg levels I had to stop having it. No sandwiches anymore either. :(

What I do now is buy the low carb bread mix from Fergus and make my own. It works out about 4g carbs per slice and is very filling. I like it, but it is an aquired taste.

You could also try the LowCarbMegastore site which does mail order and look at the range of stuff there. There are several alternatives which are very low carb.

Here is the link to the bread page, check out the rest of the site.
http://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/bread

Hope that helps.

Ken.

Geez, they're not exactly cheap, are they Ken? Four quid for a loaf (including P&P) and even dearer if I want to order the bread mix :shock:
I must admit I'm always a bit suspicious when people use phrases such as "it's an acquired taste". I remember a friend using that very same expression to describe his passion for Marmite on Digestive biscuits!

In the meantime I think I'll look elsewhere for the low-carb bread/bread mix. Maybe they sell it in Asda or Tesco?

Dave

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Fergus's bread is very good toasted, It has a heavier texture than normal commercial bread but still tastes nice. Because it is heavier you do not eat as much as a normal loaf at a time.

desperate_dave

Sue, apologies if this is a daft question but where exactly do I buy Fergus's bread? I know Ken's mentioned it a couple of times but I just assumed it was a bakery in his neck of the woods.

Dave

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Not Sue, but Ken.. :D :oops:

Sorry Dave, I keep forgetting you haven't been around here that long. It seems like years... :lol:

Fergus is a Moderator on here, so either click on his name at the top of the board index pages or in one of his posts and pm him. He will give you all the details and prices etc.

Walnut Bread is particularly nice I find. I also tend to add a teaspoon of baking soda to the mix which lightens it up a bit. Still cannot manage more than 2 small slices though. 'Acquired taste,' yes it is. Not everybody loves it but I do and it is nice to have any sort of bread because ordinary bread of any kind is bad for me. Spread with lashings of real butter it is heaven. Try some.

I use a breadmaker and just tip everything in set the timer and wake up to the smell of fresh bread baking. Get some asbestos gloves though. If you are like me you will want it piping hot..... :D

Ken.

desperate_dave

Thanks Ken,

I was in Marks & Spencer's today and I picked up a loaf of Irish Brown Soda Bread. I recalled somebody mentioning it on these forums recently so I thought I'd give it a whirl. To be honest, at first I wasn't too keen on the taste (being the fussy so-and-so I am) but it seemed to get better by the third slice. So, as you can see, I am making the effort (albeit baby steps).

Now for my rant of the day:

I went to the chemist today to pick up my repeat prescription. I mentioned in an earlier post that my GP had told me to increase my Metformin to 1 x 500mg tablet THREE times a day instead of the original TWICE a day. Well, guess what? When I went to pick up my presciption today, he hadn't increased the amount on my prescription. :evil: It was still the usual 2 x packs of 28 tablets so I marched through to the receptionist (the chemist is adjoined to my doctor's surgery) thinking it would be a simple matter for them to adjust my prescription accordingly. But they informed me that my doctor was away for two weeks and wouldn't be back until the 5th October and they weren't in a position to alter my prescription. One even argued that my doctor only wanted me to take the increased dosage for TEN days as he had wrote something on my file to that effect. I had to remind her that on the same day I'd seen the doctor he had also prescribed a 10-day course of Amoxicillin and I'm pretty sure the TEN days was referring to those. Plus he hadn't said anything to me about just taking the increased dose of Metformin for TEN days. Long story short, I've had to make an appointment to see my doctor on the 5th October to get him to adjust my prescription. To be fair, I could have gotten an earlier appointment and seen one of the other doctors but I much prefer to see the same doctor.

Anyway, that's my little moan out of the way. :cry:

Dave

cugila

Master
Dislikes
was in Marks & Spencer's today and I picked up a loaf of Irish Brown Soda Bread. I recalled somebody mentioning it on these forums recently so I thought I'd give it a whirl. To be honest, at first I wasn't too keen on the taste (being the fussy so-and-so I am) but it seemed to get better by the third slice. So, as you can see, I am making the effort (albeit baby steps).

Hi Dave.

I hate to tell you this but Soda Bread, whether White or Brown is about 12 - 15g carbs per slice. Any normal bread is going to be high in carbs. If you can tolerate the carbs and flour then you will only know by testing before and after trying it out. Sorry mate..... :(

As for the rant - I would have been livid too. :twisted:

Ken