type 2 diabetes

shamy

recently diagnosed i never used to exercise ate junk food so now i’m on metformin i’m thinking to erm start going for walks has anyone tried loosing weight doing that any advice will be appreciated

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @shamy.

Exercise is really good for you and should help with your diabetes and general health, so I definitely recommend going for walks. Also consider the carbs in your diet, as weight gain is a symptom of T2 diabetes (lots of insulin plus high blood sugars) and many people find that their weight goes down as well as their blood sugar when they cut down on carbs.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
recently diagnosed i never used to exercise ate junk food so now i’m on metformin i’m thinking to erm start going for walks has anyone tried loosing weight doing that any advice will be appreciated
The biggest thing that is going to help you is changing your diet to low carb, and that will also help you drop weight. But while you literally can't out-run a bad diet, going for walks is an excellent choice. Slow, steady exercise is the way to go. Doing strenuous stuff can up blood glucose as the liver starts dumping it into your bloodstream to help give you some extra energy. Walking, however, is calm, controlled, and can help lower blood glucose after a meal. So it'd likely help with weight loss and certainly with blood sugar control.

Reactions: Moggy1968

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Im'e 62 and been T1 for 46 yrs , The heaviest i've ever been is 14 stone , I used to go to a gym three times a week and always hovered around the 13 stone mark which as i'me 5 ft 11 didn't seem that bad , Since the pandemic and lock downs i've been walking anything from 2 - 10 miles a day and am now 11 st 4 , my insulin requirements have dropped by 2/3 s and I have never felt better , When all this is over i'me sticking to the walking which I prefer and is cheeper .

Grannypat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
getting really old but I am dealing with it
Im'e 62 and been T1 for 46 yrs , The heaviest i've ever been is 14 stone , I used to go to a gym three times a week and always hovered around the 13 stone mark which as i'me 5 ft 11 didn't seem that bad , Since the pandemic and lock downs i've been walking anything from 2 - 10 miles a day and am now 11 st 4 , my insulin requirements have dropped by 2/3 s and I have never felt better , When all this is over i'me sticking to the walking which I prefer and is cheeper .

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Sorry I didn't mean to say my insulin requirements had dropped by 2/3 s but i'me taking 2/3 s of what I was taking !