Type 2 Diabetic .

WilliamWindle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Recovery and Relaxation...
Diagnosed 7 years ago when we got a call from our local hospital to attend immediately although it was 7 o’clock in the evening.

They told me my blood result for diabetes was 34 although, I felt ok and didn’t know I was diabetic.

Over the years my blood sugars have never been well controlled and have taken Metformin since day one.

Later I was also prescribed medication named Janumet and was prescribed this for around 3 years until my endocrinologist stopped them along with my prednisolone in 2020.

Since the beginning of 2021 my blood sugars have not been well controlled so my diabetic nurse prescribed 5mg Linagliptin daily along with my 2 grams of Metformin, however, my
morning fasting blood sugars are always in the mid nines and after breakfast between 15 and 20.

My HbA1c is classed as abnormal and is in the high 60’s.

I want to do everything possible to bring my blood sugars down but it seems to be impossible and don’t want to have to take insulin injections.

Any help would be appreciated...

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome William

If it's trying to manage T2D, then you are definitely in the right place.

Now bear in mind other ailments you might have, AND Medicines you may be taking

But if careful, reducing your carb intake would in my opinion be a sensible start.

Perhaps post up all meds & others ailments if you felt able to, others who mayb on those might offer good advice.

I'd say a good start would be pen & paper and work out the last few days food and how many carbs they contained.
Think of it a homework until others more experienced chime in.

I currently aim for about 60 grams of carbs a day..some go higher many go lower.

I'd say off the top of my head, pre diabetic I ran at 300+ upwards easily..so quite a reduction, which I guess is what your aiming for.

Link below was my go to when first dxd, to learn what foods offered the least carbs.

A look around that could be most informative while deciding what you could and should most likely replace in your current diet.

As always, we can't prescribe, but for information purposes, I say those two give you a good starting point.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/visual-guides

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @WilliamWindle , and welcome to the forum!
Here's some basic information on diabetes you might find useful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
morning fasting blood sugars are always in the mid nines and after breakfast between 15 and 20.
It looks like your breakfast gives you a sharp rise. Have you considered changing your breakfast to prevent that rise? If you're eating a high carb breakfast, like porridge, bread or weetabix or such, you could try to change it to something with less carbs and see what happens.
Good luck!