Type 2 Diet Advice

'V'

I've recently been diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic. I am a vegetarian, and am now taking 2 tablets of Metformin 500mg a day. I am Asian, and am wondering what diet changes I can make to bring my blood sugars down. In the morning, my blood sugar fluctuates between 6 and 8. Please help!I don't want to go down the slippery road of progression!

This is what I currently eat (on a typical day):
Breakfast - 1 banana, 1 slice of burgen bread with low sugar peanut butter
Lunch - 1 humous & salad sandwich, cup a soup, 1 apple, shape yogurt
Dinner - Vegetables, Curry & rice/chapattis, yogurt

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I was talking recently to an Asian friend and she said her advice to Aasian diabetics advice would be" Eat less chapattis"

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hello V, you don't say where you are, but I live in Southall. Some of my Asian friends are diabetic, & there seems to be a problem with the Asian diet. Rice, chapattis, dabla-roti, etc, all work to raise blood sugar. Only this evening I had 1 pakora at our church carol service, & an hour later my BS was 10.9. 30 day after meal average is 7.6.

You are right to be concerned. I followed the recommended NHS-DUK diet for 7 years. I (& my Dr) thought my control was OK with HbA1c at 6.7 & fasting morning readings of just below 7. Then leg pains started. This forum showed the way to reduced carb & a reduction to about 1/3 relieved the pain & restored my active life.

Your home situation & traditional diet may be a problem. So often I hear, "Its not very sweet - a little won't hurt you." I've learnt the hard way to say, "NO!" I snack with nuts, cheese, & apples.

One of my friends is blind & vegetarian. Her readings are normally 10-20, & the district nurses who come in every day just write it in the book. Her main carer doesn't read, (English nor Punjabi) so can't follow a diet plan. In any case the diet plan is lots of carbohydrates. I get in trouble with the nurses for trying to help. I've made her a Vegegel peach jelly for tomorrow's church Christmas meal. I drain the tinned peaches & chop them, & use no-added-sugar squash for taste & sweetness.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Oh Ian you mentioned roti.......I now have a huge craving for some :shock:

Trinkwasser

Oh dear, vegetarian diets are *very* hard to make work, can you eat fish at all? Or shellfish?

Most Asian diets seem to centre around rice, with not only other starchy carbs but also often sauces with sugar and more starch, which makes it even harder. More different veg

http://www.diabetic-talk.org/freeveggies.htm

I recall an Asian vegetarian diabetic elsewhere who ate a lot of nuts including peanuts and also used sprouted rather than raw grains, that would be worth a try, as the grains sprout they turn the carbs into protein.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am not vegetarian or vegan, so cannot really comment on the efficacy of his diet but there is a doctor who propounds a vegan diet for diabetes He has published in academic journals.
seehttp://www.nealbarnard.org/bio.htm (I tihnk there is enough on the net to avoid buying his book!)

Trinkwasser

phoenix said:
I am not vegetarian or vegan, so cannot really comment on the efficacy of his diet but there is a doctor who propounds a vegan diet for diabetes He has published in academic journals.
seehttp://www.nealbarnard.org/bio.htm (I tihnk there is enough on the net to avoid buying his book!)

PCRM is PETA under another name as far as I know. I have obvious doubts about a high carb low fat diet.

One thing I'd forgotten: Quorn. Well worth a try IMO.

kerryscott

hi am kez i have type 2 i do not no wear to start iam not good with food i have to start eating health to keep my suger down please can anybody help thank you :)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi kez, welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest you have a read of the Success Stories thread in the Low-Carb forum. Lots of very encouraging ideas there.

All the best,

fergus