Type 2, gliclazide, raised blood pressure - connected?

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there,

Diagnosed type 2 just over 3 weeks ago. Was initially on one gliclazide 40mg for a week which was increased to twice daily.

Visited nurse yesterday and she was happy with levels but my blood pressure was high. Going back later this week for another appointment. Blood pressure has always been on the high side of normal but OK 3 weeks ago when I was diagnosed.

The practise has an auto BP machine which the nurse suggested I used for the next few days - surgery is close to my work. Not certain exactly what a normal BP is but the 3 readings I took today look to me to be way too high.

186/112 pulse 90.
167/106 pulse 82
157/110 pulse 84

I fully expect to get some medication to control this.

Is it possible that this is coincidental or could gliclazide raise BP?

I'm only about a stone overweight. Male 54, 6' 15st. Been a lot heavier years ago and no raised BP.

Any advice welcome, thanks.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The recommended bp for people with diabetes is 130/80 or below and 140/80 or below for non-diabetics. Those readings you took are high but can't comment on the gliclazide.

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks noblehead.
Another 3 readings today much the same. Seeing nurse tomorrow so imagine I'll be getting some medication.
BG levels are down to acceptable levels for the last few days so at least that's a positive.