Type 2- I know I'm young.

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm feeling so alone with this battle right now. Being young isn't helping either as there's not many people my age injecting themselves with such a drug as I am. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm feeling like I can't go out to see friends (etc.) because I might need to take the injection with me.
I wouldn't worry about taking injections with you - I've been injecting myself since I was 7 and everyone has been fine with it - most people barely realise you are doing it, just think you are getting something from your bag/pocket!

leahkian

You are 19 and you have to inject yourself, i was 3 and had to inject twice a day but then at 19 it was 4 times a day. From my point of view between the ages of 15-27 are the hardest with your body changing, going out and having to inject where no one can see you. The first thing to do is get back in contact with the diabetes team and tell them how you feel and if they say something you do not agree with then tell them. It may be you need some mental health support i have since i was 18 and still do now coming up 42, i find it easy to talk to someone who is not in my life. I am sorry to say this but diabetes will always effect your life but the thing is trying to get the best control will give you a better social life, if these people are friends they will stick by you but you have to explain to them about your diabetes. Having to inject while out can be fun having to do it in a pub toilet, or eating a meal and just have it where you are sitting and my fav was doing it just before playing football you should have seen their faces but it only lasts a couple of weeks. My biggest problem was telling a girl that i was a diabetic then one day i thought this is who i am and if they cannot except that then bye. I did get a few questions can i catch it, will i catch it if we kiss and i can't stand needles, i said that's fine because its me who needs them not you. No two diabetic are the same and you will have to find out who are you, i switched my care from Durham to Newcastle and met a consultant who changed my life. If i had not found him i do not think i would be here today, he was the first person who let me tell him how i feel and then we would make a plan of action together. I hope you can find a way to live your life with diabetes

karmudvan11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So let's cut to the chase, I'm 19 and I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic back when I was 15 and then it wasn't long until I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I've been taking medication to help with it ever since my diagnosis back when I was 15. I've taken metformin, Metformin prolonged release, Dapagliflozin, Sitigliptin and now I'm taking Victoza. Although I could never tolerate any of the Metformins, I was placed on Dapagliflozin whilst taking it to see if it would help lower my BGL. But, whilst taking it, my doctors took me off Metformin and put me on sitigliptin. In the transition from taking Metformin to Sitigliptin, my GP accidently took Dapagliflozin off as one of my repeat prescriptions however because I just presumed that I couldn't take it with the new drug, I didn't question it. Never the less, when I went back to see my endocrinologist he asked me how Dapagliflozin was going. It was at this point I discovered I still could take it and should have been taken it but due to my GPs negligence, I hadn't been taken it and now my levels were elevating even further. I tried Sitigliptin for a while but due to the elevation, we decided it wasn't working for me so now I inject myself with liraglutide (Victoza). Its only after injecting myself with this, that I realise that I should have just sucked it up and dealt with the side effects of Metformin (I never thought I'd say that- I felt so bad whilst taking it but I feel worse now). The side effects I get now are so bad I can't be away from the house for more than an hour. It a compleatly destroying what little of a social life I had.

Now, I know I'm quite young to have type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, I didn't have a great childhood and this resulted to comfort eating alot and I've also got a hormone imbalance problem which has resulted in me gaining a considerable amount of weight. Type 2 diabetes also runs in my family so although there's not as much of a genetic predisposition as there is with type 1, there is some.

I'm feeling so alone with this battle right now. Being young isn't helping either as there's not many people my age injecting themselves with such a drug as I am. Has anybody else had this problem? I'm feeling like I can't go out to see friends (etc.) because I might need to take the injection with me.

Any advice or support is greatly welcomed.

Thank you.
Hi

NakNik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The smell of petrol
So let's cut to the chase, I'm 19 and I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic back when I was 15 and then it wasn't long until I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic. I've been taking medication to help with it ever since my diagnosis back when I was 15. I've taken metformin, Metformin prolonged release, Dapagliflozin, Sitigliptin and now I'm taking Victoza. Although I could never tolerate any of the Metformins, I was placed on Dapagliflozin whilst taking it to see if it would help lower my BGL. But, whilst taking it, my doctors took me off Metformin and put me on sitigliptin. In the transition from taking Metformin to Sitigliptin, my GP accidently took Dapagliflozin off as one of my repeat prescriptions however because I just presumed that I couldn't take it with the new drug, I didn't question it. Never the less, when I went back to see my endocrinologist he asked me how Dapagliflozin was going. It was at this point I discovered I still could take it and should have been taken it but due to my GPs negligence, I hadn't been taken it and now my levels were elevating even further. I tried Sitigliptin for a while but due to the elevation, we decided it wasn't working for me so now I inject myself with liraglutide (Victoza). Its only after injecting myself with this, that I realise that I should have just sucked it up and dealt with the side effects of Metformin (I never thought I'd say that- I felt so bad whilst taking it but I feel worse now). The side effects I get now are so bad I can't be away from the house for more than an hour. It a compleatly destroying what little of a social life I had.

Now, I know I'm quite young to have type 2 diabetes. Unfortunately, I didn't have a great childhood and this resulted to comfort eating alot and I've also got a hormone imbalance problem which has resulted in me gaining a considerable amount of weight. Type 2 diabetes also runs in my family so although there's not as much of a genetic predisposition as there is with type 1, there is some.

Any advice or support is greatly welcomed.

Thank you.

Hi there!

You are the only other person I've ever met (even if online) that was diagnosed the same age as me with type 2. I've really struggled and I think my diagnosis led to an eating disorder that made things worse. I'm getting better at unpacking the trauma that came with diagnosis now I'm a bit older, but it's still so hard being so young with this condition.
I know i'm commenting on this forum a few years after you posted but if you see this and would like to connect, let me know. I think talking to someone in the same shoes as me would be better than therapy even :)

Wishing you all the best xx