Type 2 Long Distance Lorry Driver Advice Re. Diet

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i have a friend, a lorry driver a school mate from many years ago who has asked me about diet etc.when driving and staying out nights he eats at transport cafes huge starchy calorific meals etc. working away boredom eating chocolate bars and so on hes a big guy he needs advice and im sure you will help ...he isnt a member yet but i think he will be soon as i pointed him in this direction,..

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well - it isn't the calories, its the carbs which are the ones to watch - just getting more of the protein and fat and fewer starchy or sweet foods will be some help.
I have chocolate but it is the dark high cocoa sort, if bored I like sudoku puzzles, or even knitting. At one time I made string bags mostly for shopping but I still do custom ones for musical instruments and other equipment - it occupies the mind and hands too.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Transport cafes usually do great all day breakfasts so he could go for those if he likes them.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If he's a lorry driver then he really doesn't want to progress to insulin, which is extremely likely to happen if he's a relatively young diabetic who doesn't go low carb....

Transport cafes usually do great all day breakfasts so he could go for those if he likes them.
Yes, just miss out the toast, baked beans, etc....
Take some nuts with him for snacks?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If he's a lorry driver then he really doesn't want to progress to insulin, which is extremely likely to happen if he's a relatively young diabetic who doesn't go low carb....

Yes, just miss out the toast, baked beans, etc....
Take some nuts with him for snacks?
Don't forget the pork scratchings..