Type 2 newly diagnosed

Timbob

Hi there my first post here. I was recently diagnosed with type 2 at age 29. I guess I put it down to unhealthy lifestyle and being overweight. My dad has type 2 as well. I've got straight onto losing my weight. So far I've lost almost 10 pounds with regular walks and eating healthy.
I have accepted this illness is with me forever now but it is still very scary. I've been reading up horror stories about being diagnosed early in life will result in an early death, Honestly I am quite scared. So I am doing everything I can do get myself fit. This diagnosis has pushed me to get myself in shape. I am happy that there is this forum to share my feelings on and discuss this with others.
:)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I discovered low carb in my early 20s having unknowingly eaten low carb at home.
All you need to do, if you are a plain ordinary type two, is cut down carbs to the level you can cope with. Job done, no more problems as long as you don't let anyone talk you out of that way of eating. Luckily more and more people are beginning to accept that low fat is a bad idea.
Before the virus struck I had gone back to work, and was actively involved in teaching morris and maypole dancing, playing music for longsword, morris both border and cotswold, and jigs - and I am 70 next spring.
I recommend getting a blood glucose meter, so you can test to see how high you go after eating.
I use a Spirit Healthcare Tee2 - apparently if you phone up and ask about putting in a fairly large order for the strips you can get a fee meter. As type 2s we don't pay VAT on the testing kit.

Reactions: Timbob

Timbob

Hi there. Thank you very much for the reply. Yeah I'm just normal type 2. I wasn't aware that I could get a blocked meter. I don't know how to use them. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the tip. What would be a good blood sugar level to be? Is it the same for everyone? Sorry for all the questions. It's all new to me and quite overwhelming. I'm just glad there is a great support group here.
Yeah I've been eating alot more vegetables and wholemeal things. Like bread but only 2 slices a day. Lots of green tea and unsweetened cereal for breakfast. The weight is falling off of me luckily. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. Thank you very much for the reply. Yeah I'm just normal type 2. I wasn't aware that I could get a blocked meter. I don't know how to use them. I will definitely look into it. Thanks for the tip. What would be a good blood sugar level to be? Is it the same for everyone? Sorry for all the questions. It's all new to me and quite overwhelming. I'm just glad there is a great support group here.
Yeah I've been eating alot more vegetables and wholemeal things. Like bread but only 2 slices a day. Lots of green tea and unsweetened cereal for breakfast. The weight is falling off of me luckily. :)
Ah - wholemeal bread is still high carb, unsweetened cereal is still high carb. Not all veges are low carb - it's a bit of a minefield at first, I'm afraid as healthy doesn't mean good for diabetics - some advice is not good for anyone.
The meters come with instructions.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the nutritional thingy link in my signature and take a look at dietdoctor.com to get a decent overview on what’s good and what’s not and some explanations of why. The dire predictions are based on doing little about it, continuing to eat way too many carbs and as a result trying to patch the holes in your health bucket with sticking plaster in the form of medications. The meds help somewhat but don’t fix the problem or put you back in good metabolic health.

Wholemeal is a bit of a con, as is low sugar. Wholemeal still has almost as many carbs but they act a little slower. Seeing as grains are kryptonite to many if not most type 2 that slight slowing goes nowhere near far enough to counteract the carbs.
Sugar is just one type of carb (a fast one). Others do as much damage. Ignore that bit of the label and look at the carbs as a whole.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Timbob, I was recently diagnosed just before my 33rd birthday. Like you I have been reading up about the horror stories esp being diagnosed young. But 7 weeks in and I'm feeling a lot more positive. I test with a meter first thing in the morning and then before a meal and two hours after. It is very motivating to see the numbers as I wont have another blood test for awhile. I have reduced carbs to under 100g a day and that seems to work for me. My evening meals are more carb heavy than breakfast and lunch but I reduce my portion size compared to previously and I don't see high readings. I've lost almost two stone and feeling happier and healthier. Everyone seems to tolerate foods differently so a meter is a really useful tool. And there are lots of reduced carb options that I didn't know existed until recently ( wraps and bread etc) though they are more expensive. Good luck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI and welcome. Yes, you soon find out that what the supermarkets try to sell us is not what we should be eating. Eggs and bacon for breakfast is good, cheese and berries are good.