Type 2 or type 1? Or 1.5?

RussG

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but not completely new to diabetes. Diagnosed type 2 in 2008 aged 34, I'm currently under investigation for type 1 or 1.5 and have been started on insulin. I had about 12 months very well controlled on Metformin (HbA1c down to 5.5) then lost it for 9-10 months but was trying to get back on track with my diet when it all went a bit wrong. Whilst I was overweight at diagnosis, I had lost some weight before this point through being hyperglycaemic and have lost another three and a bit stones without consciously trying over the last 18-24 months; I am now about BMI 24.5 - I'm seeing this as a good result for bad reasons. Unfortunately this seemed to do nothing for my control! I've seen other people talk about losing 4 stones or so to gain proper control but this didn't really work for me.

Well I'm not sure what type I am, but am now a week into insulin (still low doses of Lantus and Apidra), which is going okay and probably not as bad as I had feared (yes, I know it's early days). I'm reading some of the low-carbing discussions with cautious interest. Don't think I could do the extreme stuff yet, but can see the logic in carb restriction. Although if I am type 1 or 1.5 I don't know what the best approach is to carb restriction. Will have an interesting discussion with the nutritionist, I'm sure.

Still getting my head round the whole progression / change of type etc. stuff and the gravity of having to inject insulin. I would be interested in anyone with similar experiences, especially re type.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello RG and welcome to the forum :) I am type 2 so maybe can't help you on specific things but there are lots of type 1s and some 1.5s who will be able to help you once you get your diagnosis. Let us know how things progress with you.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Whatever type of Diabetes you have it can be beneficial to reduce carbohydrate intake. It will help keep control of Bg levels and also can help to reduce Insulin intake.

dib

Many thanks for that cugila, I think this might be my problem. I will do some more research.